Personal Statement:Medicine 64

Medicine Personal Statement

My desire to become a doctor was inspired by my fascination with the way the human body functions, its intricate chemical systems and how the psyche interacts with the physical body. I look forward to a vocation which is constantly advancing, providing opportunities to better myself. The experience of shadowing a surgeon strengthened my desire to become a doctor and enabled me to appreciate the importance of good communication skills and team-working within the healthcare profession, for example when I saw a complication arise during a kidney transplant. This was confirmed by speaking to a GP, who discussed with me the complex nature of the team in any medical situation. Attending the MedSim medical conference convinced me that I am well-suited to Medicine as, among other things, I was able to discuss my course choice with current F1 doctors and medical students. The area of Immunology particularly interests me as I find it interesting how specific the human body is in fighting infection. I also look forward to studying Neurology, having attended an eight-week weekly conference at The University of Nottingham where I had the opportunity to dissect the human brain in the lab and learn about its anatomy and physiology.

In addition, my A-Levels have also been beneficial in preparing for medicine. Inspired by Biology and Psychology, I have undertaken research into chemical imbalance disorders of the brain, such as depression. Understanding the importance of treating both mind and body is crucial and I value a holistic approach to Medicine. Through studying the sciences I have gained analytical skills which are crucial for doctors in reaching a diagnosis, whilst in Philosophy and Ethics I have addressed medical debates which has exposed me to many of the ethical issues that doctors face daily. Reading publications such as New Scientist, British Psychological Society Digest and the Student BMJ has further opened my eyes to many current issues facing science and medicine.

I believe one of my best qualities is a deep sense of empathy which I developed as part of a foster family. This has given me experience of caring for people from a wide range of cultural and social backgrounds each with individual needs. I have had the privilege of providing support and help to children suffering from mental illnesses and attachments problems. In one instance, I was able to assist the diagnosis of Pathological Demand Avoidance disorder. I am intrigued with such conditions and how patients who are affected can be helped, and therefore Psychiatry interests me.

In my spare time, I have volunteered at a hospice - coupling my interest in photography with interacting with patients - by taking photographs of them to provide families with permanent memories. I have also been volunteering long-term as an assistant in a Year 7 science class, which I am receiving a vinspired v50 award for. Through this, I have advanced my leadership and teaching skills. I am currently undertaking the Duke of Edinburgh's Silver Award, and am currently planning a three day expedition to Derbyshire with my group. I hope to continue to Gold level while at university. Through this, my interpersonal skills have been greatly developed by the experiences of communicating with people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds.

My involvement in school life has included being a school council representative for 3 years and elected treasurer of the Sixth Form Committee which represents the entire student body. This role requires responsibility and trustworthiness, as well as organisational abilities in planning events. I am also an avid photographer, taking part in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition 2005 and 2009, and would enjoy continuing this at university with a relevant club or society.

In summary, I believe I have the dedication, academic abilities and necessary skills to excel as a doctor and contribute positively both to the field of Medicine, and to my chosen university.