Personal Statement:Medicine 77

Medicine Personal Statement

My fascination with Human sciences coupled with my time living with special needs children and awe inspiring work experience in the ICU has motivated me to pursue a career in medicine. Studying Biomedical Science has given me an insight into the underlying principals of clinical knowledge; this has strengthened my resolve to apply these principals practically.

At my work experience placement in the ICU in Royal London Hospital I had the opportunity to see a wide range of patients in critical care and was able to witness and assist in a variety of procedures including the insertion of a central line and an arterial line. I appreciated the importance of an excellent team dynamic and observed the professionalism of consultants in interactions with patients and a multi-disciplinary team. Furthermore, through my course I studied pharmacology, which helped me understand how exactly the anaesthetics and analgesics used in an ICU work.

I also studied Immunology, which helped considerably in my placement at Mile End Hospital in the Rheumatology department. Sitting in on the clinic I saw ultrasounds to check inflammation and learnt the importance of good patient communication especially when trying to characterize symptoms. In addition I understood the value of empathy and reassurance when communicating with worried patients.

During my gap year I worked in a GP surgery for 7 months as a receptionist. Not only preparing me for working life I drastically improved my ability to talk to and empathise with patients. Additionally I gained an insight into the running of a general practice as well as an observation into the significance of primary care and the role of preventive medicine in reducing the burden of chronic illnesses.

As I had a high exposure to the NHS, I was eager to see the workings of a private hospital. To this end I organised a placement at Ramsey Hospital. This experience was broader as this placement gave a multi-disciplinary approach, which also included administrative roles. My time in the operating theatre was particularly interesting as I had the opportunity to witness live keyhole surgery & ligament reconstruction, during which the confidence, composure and skill displayed by the surgeons was mesmerising. Observing these qualities in practice reaffirmed my faith that medicine is the right career choice for me.

In my spare time I teach children Arabic at a Sunday school. Organising a lesson consisting of an hour for a specific age group takes diligence, time management and organisational skills, which I used during my week at Activenture. Activenture is an organisation, which provides respite care to special needs children with a range of disabilities including cerebral palsey, ADHD, speech and language difficulties and downs syndrome. Communicating was at first difficult but this extraordinary experience significantly improved my communicational skills by learning to listen attentively and communicating effectively. Throughout the week a number of duties became second nature such as the changing of pads, hoisting and ensuring guests had good hygiene. I feel these procedures prepared me for medicine, as there are aspects of the profession, which would not be considered desirable but I learnt that when you have a responsibility you forget about what is and what is not desirable and complete your task at hand. My role as team leader involved extra responsibilities including organising who was looking after what child, ensuring that any marks, grazes as well as toilet routines were noted down. I also displayed my leadership skills by giving helpers advice, assistance, encouragement and support, which I believe are useful skills when treating a patient. I took it upon my self to care for the more challenging children, though daunting, I persevered, which drastically improved my confidence and ability to exercise tolerance and patience as well as realise the reality of long-term care for parents with special needs children.

For relieving stress, staying healthy and taking a break from academic pressures, I play basketball and am starting 5 for a team called Cardinals, which have won the London Shield.This exhibits my ability to contribute extensively to a team and work efficiently under pressure. I also regularly attend a Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu class for which I currently have a blue belt, this has developed my discipline and determination and also shows dedication and commitment to a task.

Coming from a family that has a strong medical background I am under no illusion that medicine is in anyway easy or glamorous. Nevertheless my burning desire to study medicine remains as I feel my personality is most suited to this vocation since it takes diligence, perseverance and a scientifically inquisitive mind to make a good doctor: These are all attributes which I possess.

• Unknown

• Unknown