Personal Statement:Modern Languages 2

The depth of culture and history in Europe is vast. I have always been fascinated by language. I first gained my taste for languages as a small child, being brought up bilingually, and spending my summers in Sweden. I later went on to study French and German at secondary school. I did well in both, winning the German prize in year 11 and in year 12 the German and French prizes for attainment.

I want to continue with my studies in at least one of these languages, as I believe that even A level studies are merely the tip of the iceberg. I would like to develop my knowledge of other cultures, and I feel the best way do this is by studying a new language ab initio. Another northern European language strikes me as the most interesting way forward.

In 2004 I took part in a German school exchange in Bad Windsheim. In July 2006 I returned there independently for a further week when I did work experience both in a pharmacy and with a vet. Spending time in Germany gave me a valuable opportunity to find out more about both Germany and its people, and to improve my German.

I have enjoyed travelling independently in recent years, exploring the UK, Sweden, France, Germany and Denmark. I always prefer to travel by rail, as it affords the perfect chance to view the landscape and observe cultural differences.

I read a wide variety of genres, from crime to fantasy and I particularly like reading translated works and comparing the way authors portray their own cultures (for example Dario Fo and Henning Mankell). My role as a student librarian for four years at xxxx High and my part-time job at a local award winning bookshop both involved me in many literary events. I attended Poetry Live in 2005, and the Gothenburg Book Fair Bok och Bibliotek in 2005 and 2006. At the 2005 fair I interviewed the author Philip Pullman, and later had an article published on a website. I enjoy watching films in Swedish, Danish, German and French. As well as going to British and foreign theatres I have organised a school theatre trip to London.

I keep up-to-date with current affairs by reading foreign newspapers and watching foreign news on the internet. I was involved with Comenius Youth News for three years and at a gathering of representatives I was able to chat with both Germans and Norwegians. During the project I wrote a number of articles and was involved in the running of its website.

Over the years I have been involved in the Nordic community at the Scandinavian Church in Liverpool, helping at fundraising events, along with Swedes, Norwegians, Finns and Danes.

Last year I acted as a barrister in the Bar Mock Trial competition. Having won our regional heat we finished second in the national finals at the Old Bailey. I thrived under the pressure of this role and gained a valuable insight into an area I knew little about, whilst also enjoying myself.

I have played rugby (reaching a national quarter final), tennis, the piano and the saxophone, and am thus aware that only practice leads to success.

Studying languages at university will provide me with a thought provoking and stimulating experience. It will give me life-long transferable skills and a high level of fluency in two languages. It will extend and develop my enthusiasm for languages. I am convinced that modern languages is the choice for me.

• University of Edinburgh (German and Swedish) - Offer BBB (Firm choice, met with grades of AAAB)
  • University of Cambridge (German and Russian) - Rejected after being pooled.
  • University of Manchester (German and Russian) - Offer BBC
  • University of Sussex (German and Italian) - Offer ABB
  • UCL (German and Icelandic) - Offer AAB
  • Aston University (German, French and Spanish) - Offer BBC

Grades

• GCSE: A*x9, Ax2.
  • AS: aabb
  • A2 predicted grades: AAAA

This personal statement was written in 2006 and used for applications to courses beginning in September 2007. It is 3328 characters long.