Personal Statement:Music 5

Music personal statement

For as long as I can remember, I have always had a keen interest and passion for music, both academically and practically. I have always enjoyed listening to a wide variety of musical styles, especially classical and jazz. From the age of seven, I have taken piano lessons, with particular focus on classical works. Since then, I have been fortunate enough to have many opportunities to perform including solo, ensemble and accompaniment work. In the last few years of school, I have been learning to play the alto saxophone and I have recently started playing lead alto saxophone in the school swing band. In addition, I have taught myself the piano accordion and using this ability, I have played with the school’s Irish folk band for 2 years.

Although I thoroughly enjoy performing, I am also keen on composition and the academic study of music. For this reason, I believe that a BMus or BA in Music would be the right course for me. From the research I have carried out, I am aware of the options that are available for study within the music course such as performance or a certain aspect of musicology. I have chosen programmes in departments where I would be able to choose a number of specialist options that I am interested in. Areas, which I am particularly interested in, include solo and ensemble performance, orchestration and arranging.

Studying English Language at Advanced level has been very helpful in developing my understanding of English and how language is used in different social groups. It has also allowed me to improve my research and formal writing skills. In my studies of Information and Communication Technology, I have learned more about the effects of computers on modern life and also, how to present information to a larger group using multimedia and presentation software. The further study of music has given me the opportunity to enhance my critical listening skills and extend my knowledge of tonal harmony and arrangement.

In the lower years of school, I was elected as a school prefect, which gave me more responsibility and gave me the opportunity to develop leadership and support skills. I was a part of the Pupil Extension Programme for Schools for the Gifted and Talented cohort within the school, which gave me the chance to learn about extra-curricular subjects such as philosophy, creationism and law. Furthermore, as part of the programme, I visited the University of Oxford, a philosophy lecture and a magistrates’ court. My work experience in a local primary school gave me the responsibility of looking after children and observing how they are taught music through classroom music lessons and learning various instruments.

Outside of school, I have taken advantage of other performance opportunities. For the last 3 years, I have played organ for a local church, including accompanying the church choir and playing for weddings and other special events. Also, I have recently started accompanying a local ladies’ choir who sing a wide variety of different styles of music. My knowledge of computers has allowed me to assist the choirmasters by composing and arranging pieces of music using Sibelius notation software. My other outside interests include reading, walking, badminton and computing.

I am a dedicated student and I am looking forward to the opportunities and challenges of university life and the prospect of higher education. After my education, I hope to teach piano and possibly go into research about the effects of music on society.