Personal Statement:Pharmacy 21

Pharmacy Personal Statement

Science has the power to influence our lives. Scientific discoveries change the way we live, none more so than the ground breaking research into new drugs. Pharmacology is a branch of science that has evolved remarkably over the centuries and has eradicated so many diseases. Hence, I have chosen a degree in Pharmacy as it will enable me to be a part of this ever-evolving science as well as to pursue a career which is rewarding and challenging. Articles in Science Reviews about the efficacy of new drugs and clinical trials, along with a project on the MMR vaccine, have heightened my interest in Pharmacy. I am eager to study for the MPharm degree since it offers stimulating course content, such as the development and delivery of drugs, and will allow me to graduate as a professional pharmacist. My aim is to work in a hospital pharmacy where I will be able to counsel patients and participate in research and development. Studying Chemistry has taught me how the materials in the world around us can be rationalised and how reactions can be explained and measured. I have learnt to relate chemical structures to their properties, while studying Biology has taught me how these structures have given rise to a diversity of functions in complex living organisms. Regular laboratory experiments have increased my confidence in handling scientific equipment and chemicals. Maths and Further Maths have developed my numerical ability, decision making skills, critical thinking and my aptitude for problem-solving. Studying Geography has raised my awareness of global issues and has improved my interpersonal and interpretive skills as it included carrying out fieldwork within a team. Throughout my studies, I have developed a high level of ICT literacy which helps me immensely with the statistical analysis of data. My interest in Pharmacy has been strengthened through work experience at the Tesco pharmacy in Tottenham, where I carried out duties such as stock checks and observed how customer enquiries are dealt with. My discussions with the manager gave me valuable insights into the growing role of a retail pharmacy and the satisfaction obtained from helping people. I acquired further experience in the pathology labs at North Middlesex Hospital, where I have learnt the importance of teamwork in healthcare, and gained a significant understanding of the testing and diagnosis of diseases. I now appreciate the need for technical rigour and a multidisciplinary approach in healthcare. My communication skills have developed through my roles as the Head of the Maths Committee and a First Holy Communion Leader, where I have learnt how to impart knowledge effectively to others and to organise tasks successfully. In addition, I am the leader of the Church Music Group, which has enabled me to become fully conversant with people of all ages and backgrounds. Being a pharmacist requires the ability to follow and give instructions and I have developed this skill through my voluntary work. My caring nature is demonstrated through the fundraising activities I am involved in, for which I have been awarded the Jack Petchey Award. I am a dedicated member of the Sandwich Making Committee for the homeless, which is hugely rewarding. As a peer counsellor, I mentor three Year 7 pupils and support them during the year. While I am working towards my Grade 8 piano, I love the challenge of learning new pieces beyond the syllabus by modern composers such as Yiruma; I am excited about the prospect of joining the music clubs at university. I also enjoy a healthy and active lifestyle as a keen swimmer and cyclist. My investigation of courses and universities has fuelled my aspiration to become a pharmacist. I am enthusiastic, responsible and reliable, as demonstrated by my 100% school attendance, excellent effort and punctuality. I intend to contribute all these qualities to university life and to be a valuable student on the course.

• UCL (Pharmacy) - Offer (AAB) Firm
  • Reading (Pharmacy) - Offer (ABB) Insurance
  • Kings College London (Pharmacy) - Offer (AAB)
  • Bath (Pharmacy) - Offer (AAB)
  • Nottingham (Pharmacy) - Withdrawn

• Maths (AS) - A
  • Chemistry (AS) - A
  • Biology (AS) - A
  • Geography (AS) - A
  • Futher Maths (AS) - B

Hope you all find this statement useful and helpful, good luck with your application! :)