Personal Statement:Physics 19

Physics Personal Statement

Physics is the bizarre and the extraordinary, and covers everything from the huge to the tiny. It uses maths, which I believe to be the language of the universe, to explain everything from the movement of the stars to how an atom can be in two places at once. Growing up, I have striven to understand as much as I can, and I believe physics can give answers to the many questions life offers.

This is why I would love to do physics at university level. I maintain a strong interest in physics and maths outside of school, having participated in a number extra curricular maths courses since year nine, and I have read a number of books about physics. I particularly enjoyed ‘In Search of Schrodinger's Cat’ by John Gribbin, as a lot of it was interlinked with the work we were doing in class – for example, we had used Planck’s constant in many formulae, and this book explained further about how else the constant could be used, how it was calculated, and other discoveries Planck had made. It also linked in with matrix work I had studied in further maths, further unifying the way mathematical tools can explain such advanced phenomena. I have discovered a fascination with the ideas of quantum mechanics and how our universe is rooted in such complex, yet fundamental, rules.

I have chosen to continue with four A level subjects. As I have advanced in my scientific understanding, it has become clearer to me how physics, chemistry and maths link together and how having a good understanding of one of these subjects is advantageous in the others. I really enjoy studying further maths, especially the further pure modules, as they really stretch my mathematical knowledge and I love working hard to solve a difficult problem. I find physical problems in real life; I often find my mind wondering how I would calculate the distance someone can rock on a chair before they fall, or how much force someone must exert jump a metre off the ground. These problems all have mathematical bases, and the theory behind different aspects of physics is something I find very interesting. I am keenly following the LHC at CERN, as I believe it will provide answers about elusive dark matter and other particles, which will help us understand our universe and ultimately more about the nature of what we are made of.

Outside of school, I have achieved a merit in my grade 8 flute, as well as my grade 5 theory of music, targets which I have worked toward since I began playing in year 3. This shows how dedicated I become to achieving a goal. I also play in a flute choir, and I love how many, perhaps very different, lines of music can blend together to produce something more beautiful than anything one instrument could play. I believe working as a team is important in any aspect of life, and a team working together can achieve more than an individual – which applies to physics just as much as it does to music.

One of the most exciting things I have ever done was my exchange to Japan when I was fifteen. I lived with a Japanese family for ten days, and experiencing such a different culture was incredible. It really enhanced my language skills, and I saw how a different schooling system and culture works. My experience helped me to become more independent and encouraged me to try things – from food to travelling across Tokyo on the tube – that I had never tried before, an attitude I have maintained.

I have two part time jobs, which have given me the opportunity to learn how to manage my finances and time. My waitressing job has shown me how best to relate to people, a vital interpersonal skill. I have babysat for the same family for five years, and I have developed a strong sense of responsibility, and found out how to order my time to keep others happy.

Physics is a subject which truly fascinates me and I look forward to studying more advanced, and more exciting, topics at a higher level.

• University of Cambridge, Downing College (Physical Natural Sciences) - Offer (A*AA in Maths, Physics and Chemistry (any order))
  • University of Southampton (Physics) - Offer (AAB or A*AB (240 points in Maths and Physics))
  • University of Nottingham (Theoretical Physics) - Offer (AAB including Maths and Physics)
  • University of Leeds (Theoretical Physics) - Offer (340 points with AA in Maths and Physics)
  • University of Manchester (Physics with Theoretical Physics) - Withdrawn

• OCR Chemistry (Salters B) (A2) - A
  • OCR Physics (A2) - A*
  • Edexcel Mathematics (A2) - A*
  • Edexcel Further Maths (A2) - A*
  • OCR Biology (AS) - A