Personal Statement:Physics 25

Physics Personal Statement

The weird yet amazing world of physics; it explains the worlds’ most fundamental occurrences while using some of the most elegant principles. This is what created my passion for physics, by using mathematics, scientific method and sheer devotion to the subject; nearly every event can be explained, from quantum tunnelling to the big bang. There is one intriguing aspect of theoretical physics I have particular interest for and that is the conflict between quantum mechanics and general relativity. What truly intrigues me is the fact that both these theories have been experimentally tested to degrees of near unimaginable accuracy and they form the foundations of modern physics and yet they are incompatible! My desire to seek perfection and to gain an understanding of physics is what motivates my desire to study this course at university and to devote myself to exploring these unknowns.

I first encountered more modern physics when I was thirteen when I was given “The Elegant Universe” by Brian Greene. It spawned my first interest into theoretical physics, especially the work towards an ultimate theory regarding Super Strings. The aspect I was most amazed by was Calabi-Yau spaces and how the mathematics behind them was already established before them actually having any physical significance. I also found Pauli’s Exclusion Principle very interesting when I had first read about it in John Gribbon’s “In Search Of Schrodingers Cat.” The fact that particles with half integer spin obey different statistical laws compared to their integer spin counterparts and that no fermion can have the same set of quantum numbers; it fascinates me that this lead to the understanding of the periodic table and why atoms have certain energy states.

As well as my reading, I take great satisfaction in completing challenging problems outside of my normal A-Level syllabus. I enjoy completing British Physics Olympiad papers and I also hope to take STEP in June. I believe this will help combine very well with my mathematics and further mathematics A-levels to give me a strong mathematical foundation for studying physics and its corresponding mathematics.

To get a feel for applied physics, in August 2010, I completed a two week placement at _____, a company that produces equipment that can visualise and size nanoparticles. My work was centred around two projects; one on dilutions for nanoparticle samples and the other on rotational dynamics of carbon nanorods. I learnt a lot about Brownian motion and the mathematics underpinning it. I also had the opportunity to write up a paper on the findings of one of my projects. This gave me great practise and showed me the structure for writing reports for future scientific projects. The overall experience spawned my interest in research as I found it exhilarating to be exploring new areas of physics.

I have always enjoyed the outdoors with regards to sport. I take part in road cycling and compete in long distance endurance events with a local cycling club. I recently took part in the South Regional Championships and also qualified for the National Time Trial Championships in 2008. I was also a member of the Army Cadet Force for two years where I took part in many expeditions and field exercises. Both showed me how to work in a team and how to be competitive, while giving me great discipline. I also achieved head boy of my school in which I worked with a senior team of staff, where I gained valuable personal organisation and communication skills.

Studying physics at university will allow me to immerse myself into the field, to hopefully attain an advanced understanding of the key theories while maintaining my appreciation of mathematics. I also hope to pursue a future in scientific research, especially the field of theoretical physics, where I believe my passion and determination to overcome challenges will allow me to be successful.

• Oxford (Physics) - Offer AAA
  • Imperial College London (Theoretical Physics) - Offer A*AA
  • Warwick (Maths and Physics) - Offer A*AA
  • Southampton (Physics with Maths) - Offer AAB
  • Bath (Physics) - Withdrawn

• Maths (A2) - A*
  • Further Maths (A2) - A*
  • Physics (A2) - A*
  • Chemistry (A2) -A*