Personal Statement:Physics 26

Physics Personal Statement

The bizarre nature of the Universe and reality itself is something that has always fascinated me. It seems the more answers I get, the more questions I have to ask, and through my interest in physics I have been introduced to paradoxes like that of Schrödinger's cat. It's through the application of physics that I hope to find the answers to life's most fundamental questions.

My enthusiasm for physics has not just come from my school studies but through reading books such as Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" and "The Universe in a Nutshell." I not only found these books enjoyable to read but they also introduced me to concepts such as Special Relativity, through which I was intrigued by relativistic effects like time dilation. I also enjoy watching documentaries, such as BBC Horizon, which I find of particular interest because it discusses non mainstream ideas as well as the opinions of individual scientists covering a range of areas from particle physics to the origin of the universe.

In year 12 I was selected by my school to take part in the Monmouth Science Initiative, for which I chose to undertake the radio astronomy option. Over a period of eight weeks, myself and six other students were tasked with designing and building a VLF radio telescope, which had to be capable of recording changes in the magnetosphere and ionosphere and hence detect the occurrence of Solar flares. We used the system to gather data over several months, which we analysed on PC software to determine the nature of solar terrestrial space. This project gave me valuable experience in several key aspects of physics such as the ability to work with new people and apply team skills to complete the project effectively, and an insight into the uses of analytical software to process data. This course also outlined the key skills required to succeed in the practical side of a physics degree.

I was also given the opportunity to take part in three visits to Cardiff University. During a visit to the electronic engineering department I was informed of the mathematics behind tuned circuits, before being tasked with building an AM Radio Receiver. I was also introduced to methods of analysing electromagnetic waves, such as Fourier transforms. On a separate visit, I was shown around the Physics and Astronomy department, where I was made aware of the current research being undertaken by undergraduate students. Of particular interest to me was a project that made use of the department's optical telescope to detect extra-solar planets using the transit method.

I have a keen interest in the outdoor environment and in February of 2011 I took part in an eight day expedition across the Arctic mountains of Northern Scandinavia along with five other students. This was not only an incredible experience, but also an opportunity to develop team skills with the other students which I believe are an important asset in the research areas of physics. As a keen triathlete, I regularly compete in the sport. I swim competitively for the swimming club of Ledbury and my training for this discipline is completed with the other club members. I have to design and complete most of my training programme for the cycling and running disciplines by myself and through this I have learned how to work and overcome problems independently.

The opportunity to study physics at a higher level would be both a pleasure and a challenge. I feel confident that I can take full advantage of a physics degree through my commitment and enthusiasm for the subject.

• Manchester (Mphys Physics) - Offer (A*AA) Firm
  • Leeds (Mphys Physics) - Offer (AAB) Insurance
  • Lancaster (Mphys Physics) - Offer (AAB)
  • Birmingham (Mphys Physics) - Offer (AAA)
  • Cardiff (Mphys Physics) - Offer (AAB)

• Maths (AS/A2) - Pending (Predicted A)
  • Physics (AS/A2) - Pending (Predicted A)
  • Biology (AS/A2) - Pending (Predicted A)
  • Geography (AS/A2) - Pending (Predicted A)