Personal Statement - Primary Education 4

Primary Education and Education Studies 4

The first formative learning we acquire is vital to our education, with the balanced National Curriculum providing practical and theoretical skills, forming the foundations of our learning. My experience that I have gained whilst working with children has strengthened my understanding of education and enjoyment when helping children, thus confirming my decision to become a Primary School Teacher. My enthusiasm to become a Primary School Teacher has developed since my first weeks work experience two years ago. During the week I helped the children with a variety of activities, ranging from literacy and cooking to Sports Day. This work experience gave me an insight into classroom atmosphere and the importance of structure within the teaching day. I also participated in a school trip. The change of the environment enhanced my appreciation that teaching can occur both in and outside of the classroom. This week’s work experience alongside my job – helping at an Afterschool Club – developed my initial experience of working with children, and strengthened my understanding of the importance of the relationship between student and teacher.

Since studying my A-Levels I have continued to widen my experience with children from the ages of 5-12. I have regularly attended a paired reading scheme at my school, whereby I helped to support and guide the children with their reading. The children have benefitted from these weekly sessions, and as the weeks passed I was pleased to see a greater confidence and ability within their reading. I consistently babysit which often involves helping the children with their homework and has therefore strengthened my skills of working on a one-to-one individual basis. Securing good connections at a Primary School has enabled me to take part in further work experience, such as helping out at art days, school plays and the summer fete, allowing me to acknowledge the wider duties teachers undertake.

For the past eight months I have helped out at Guides as a Young Leader, which has seen me take on a variety of responsibilities and activities, including a week on Guide Camp. Recently I planned and ran a Halloween night, which I feel was successful due the preparation I made prior to the evening, hence highlighting to me the importance of organisation as a skill in order to be a teacher.

I am working on my Gold D of E, a scheme which has helped me to develop time management skills, which is key to organisation of the expedition, whilst also completing the other activities and continuing with my academic studies. D of E convinced me to go to Peru for a month whereby I completed a trek, visited historical places, and helped build a market, whilst immersing myself within the culture. The tight budget meant luxuries were restricted allowing us to observe a more realistic view of the country and the traditions they hold. The year prior to visiting Peru I raised £3000, which helped me to independently plan ahead and greatly appreciate the lifetime opportunity I had earnt.

For eight years I have regularly attended an Athletics Club, whereby I have participated in track and field events as well as cross country to a county level. Team sports such as football and netball have allowed me to develop self discipline, time management and communication skills.

Being a Primary school Teacher is something in which I have been strongly passionate about for the last few years, and the experience I have undertaken has confirmed my decision. It is children’s eagerness to learn which inspires me to share knowledge and skills, in which I was once taught, whilst continuing to unknowingly learn from the children I teach.

• Durham - Primary Ed - Offer (BBB) Firm
  • Roehampton - Primary Ed - Offer (320 UCAS Points) Insurance
  • Kingston - Primary Ed - Offer (240 UCAS Poiints)
  • Birmingham University - Childhood, youth studies (Education studies) - Offer (ABB)
  • Leeds University - Childhood, youth studies (Education studies) - Offer (BBC)

• Geography (A2) - A*
  • Mathematics (Applied) (A2) - A
  • English Literature (A2) - B
  • General Studies (AS) - C
  • Biology (AS) - D

I applied to start in 2011 (the last year where fees were £3000) because of this I choosed to apply to Education study courses as well, in case I did not get into Primary Ed courses. I wanted to post mine up so people could see it is possible to apply to both Primary Ed courses and Education courses.