Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
  • Personal Statement:Psychology 4

TSR Wiki > Applications > Sample Personal Statements > Personal Statement:Psychology 4

Psychology Personal Statement

I have always been interested in the human behaviour and the analysis of the factors that shape our personality so I decided to take up an A level in psychology. During the course I became increasingly fascinated by psychological studies and I began to gain confidence in analysis and evaluation. I started reading The Psychology Review as I find this magazine to be extremely interesting and it helps me with my study. The grade I received at the end of the year reflects my effort, determination and enthusiasm for the subject. I am hoping to follow a career as a psychologist as being part of a psychological study would really interest me. We are currently studying sleep in the lesson and I feel that this has been the most interesting topic to date

I work part time in a large supermarket store, which I feel has helped me develop independence and has given me experience of working with others outside of college. The job has helped me to mature and given me practice of life within the workplace. It has also shown me good opportunity to enhance my social skills. For my Yr 11 work experience placement, I went to Gym World where I worked as a receptionist. The job included running errands, doing computer work and generally using my initiative to answer telephone enquiries. Although this placement was not psychology based I found this to be a good experience in dealing with people. I am currently working on Key Skills level 3 in communication where I did the portfolio in psychology, looking at stress and its relationship to physical illness. I am also arranging a work experience placement fixture along the psychology foundation as I feel that this would be a good lesson to be learnt about a career in such a demanding subject. My teacher put my name forward for a psychology master class at Durham University to give me an insight of psychology at a higher education level, which I will be attending later this month

During school I participated in many sporting events such as athletics, hockey and cross-country as I like to keep myself physically active. I proved to be a valuable member of the school hockey team as I have the ability to work in a team and was often chosen to be team captain. This opportunity helped me to develop my leadership qualities and made me feel confident to speak aloud. I am extremely interested in photography, which I also study as an A level as I have a very keen eye for art, creativity and the decisive moment

This subject helps me to develop as an individual. Outside of college I have an active social life and I enjoy meeting new people. I also like to go swimming and I am a member of the local gym

I understand that university life will be very demanding, but I am confident that it will give me the best chance to achieve my potential, and guide the way forward to a successful career as a psychologist.

This statement is weak. The applicant hasn't really done a proper introduction, saying what interests them about psychology and has instead dived straight into talking about A Levels. The information on psychology is glossed over and takes up only a small part of the statement. The conclusion is weak and doesn't relate back to psychology at all, which is what the majority of the statement should be about. Also, paragraphs of just a couple of lines should be avoided.

There needs to be a lot more academic focus (either on A Levels/extra experience related to psychology through work and/or reading) and proofreading aloud would see where the punctuation needs to be changed in some places.

Review

I have always overstatement. Thinking about it logically - 'always' would mean from birth! been interested in the human behaviour very cliched and the analysis of the factors that shape our personality so I decided to take up an A level in psychology. this sentence is very long without a pause! Also, as noted above - you shouldn't talk about A Levels in the very first paragraph During the course I became increasingly fascinated overused word in PSs by psychological studies and I began to gain confidence in analysis and evaluation. Concentrate on what you learned, or SHOW that you are better at these things, rather than just state thing I started reading "The Psychology Review" as I find this magazine to be extremely interesting and it helps me with my study. how? More specificity is needed here, e.g. through talking about particular article(s) of interest and WHY they are interesting The grade I received at the end of the year reflects my effort, determination and enthusiasm for the subject. this is the kind of thing for your referee to say, and they can see the grade elsewhere in the application I am hoping to follow a career as a psychologist as being part of a psychological study would really interest me. We are currently studying sleep in the lesson and I feel that this has been the most interesting topic to date hardly anyone has the job title 'psychologist' While it's good to mention career plans if you have them, more specific ones are needed here - there are several types of psychologist!

I work part time in a large supermarket store, which I feel has helped me develop independence and has given me experience of working with others outside of college. The job has helped me to mature and given me practice of life within the workplace. 'the workplace' isn't really relevant to you wanting to study a degree It has also shown me good opportunity to enhance my social skills. again, show this kind of thing rather than say it, although it's not really necessary anyway - it's very vague For my Year 11 work experience placement, I went to Gym World no need to be specific about where where I worked as a receptionist. The job included running errands, doing computer work and generally using my initiative to answer telephone enquiries. Although this placement was not psychology based I found this to be a good experience in dealing with people. very vague again and not really relevant to a psychology degree I am currently working on Key Skills level 3 in communication where I did the portfolio in psychology, looking at stress and its relationship to physical illness. this could be expanded on - e.g. why was it interesting, what have you learned? I am also arranging a work experience placement fixture along the psychology foundation, as I feel that this would be a good lesson to be learnt about a career in such a demanding subject. My teacher put my name forward for a psychology master class at the University of Durham to give me an insight of psychology at a higher education level, which I will be attending later this month ok, while work experience is good, it doesn't tell me really what you hope to gain from it, or even what it really entails

During school I participated in many sporting events such as athletics, hockey and cross-country as I like to keep myself physically active. I proved to be a valuable member of the school hockey team as I have the ability to work in a team and was often chosen to be team captain. This opportunity helped me to develop my leadership qualities and made me feel confident to speak aloud. I am extremely interested in photography, which I also study as an A level as I have a very keen eye for art, creativity and the decisive moment this, along with communication skills sounds like just trying to 'tick the boxes' for the admissions tutors - academics are far more important

This subject helps me to develop as an individual. Outside of college I have an active social life and I enjoy meeting new people. I also like to go swimming and I am a member of the local gym doesn't set the applicant apart from anyone else - it's a waste of space really. The previous paragraph is all you need on extra-curricular activities

I understand that university life will be very demanding, but I am confident that it will give me the best chance to achieve my potential, and guide the way forward to a successful career as a psychologist. very cliched ending and not related at all to psychology, as mentioned above

Try Learn together, TSR's study area

180,550
essays

21,181
mindmaps

25,085
revision notes

11,636
quizzes

create
a study planner

thousands
of discussions

New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates