Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
  • Personal Statement:US Coast Guard

TSR Wiki > Applications > Sample Personal Statements > Personal Statement:US Coast Guard

Please note: This essay is for applying to the US

Contents

Coast Guard Academy Essay

How does attending the United States Coast Guard Academy fit into your college aspirations and long-term goals?

I have two long-term goals, realizing my potential and making the world a better place. I have two debts to repay, to my parents and to my country. Attending the USGA supports my long-term goals because it gives me the opportunity to reach my goals and become the best I can be. The USCGA would help me to make the best use of my abilities and develop me into a leader. The service requirements that are part of the USCGA experience would enable me to support my country. I would wear the uniform with great pride

In 50 years when I look back on my life, I want to be proud, knowing that I did something important. I have always been proud to be an American, and I believe there is no better way to pay back our country than to serve in its military. Standing for what we believe in is what keeps this country free and democratic. Without those who sacrifice for our way of life, this country and its ideals would not exist. A review of world events and politics shows just how fortunate we are to be American

I know that the Coast Guard Academy can teach me lessons beyond that of any other college in the entire country. I receive an excellent education, build the foundation for a solid future and also learn valuable lessons on how to become an effective leader. I've had many discussions with my father on leadership. When we talk about his duties as a Navy Reserve Commanding Officer, he talks about the pride that he has supporting good people and achieving important missions

I can think of no greater goal (and challenge) then to earn the privilege of command

In conclusion, USCGA not only fits my college aspirations, but it would also fit my life's goals. When people ask me why I would attend a military academy, my reply is two words: Pride and Service. That is what the USCGA means to me

Discuss an obstacle you have overcome that has taught you to appreciate things that many of your peers take for granted

For the last six years most of my free time was spent with my parents supporting their retail business. I've helped wherever I could, whenever I could. Through aiding my parents earn a living; I have acquired exceptional interpersonal skills and an understanding of electrical systems and appliances. There is no greater thrill then selling a USD500 vacuum to an adult when you are fifteen years old

Looking back, the challenge has been two-fold. First, I spent many hours at the store. This left less time for friends and fun. Second, I was challenged to develop my capabilities in order to provide a greater contribution. An example is learning the repair side of the business. After four years of being an apprentice to my father, I am finally able to take on my own repairs. I am now a certified sewing machine and vacuum mechanic. In fact he has had me attend advanced training on computerized machines when he is unavailable. This has built on my love for the inner workings of machines. I have learned the importance of machine maintenance and really enjoy the challenge of troubleshooting electrical/mechanical systems

These activities, though not typical, have given me experiences that many people my age will never encounter. I have seen the other side of the family, and what my parents do to support our household. I see the everyday trials of owning a retail business, and all that comes with it. I have much respect for the small proprietors in this country. It is very hard to run your own business, especially with the changing dynamics of big retailers and the growing Internet market. In conclusion, the family business has provided both challenges and rewards. It has called for some sacrifices but it has given me many important skills, and helped me to grow as a person.

Try Learn together, TSR's study area

180,399
essays

21,181
mindmaps

25,086
revision notes

11,637
quizzes

create
a study planner

thousands
of discussions

New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates