- 150g softened cubed butter (it makes it easier later)
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g all purpose flour
- 5-6 medium sized Bramley apples (depending on the size of your dish)
- a large bowl
- a medium dish
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C-200°C (gas mark 5)
- Peel and chop the apples into slices, then spread them into the bottom of the dish. You want a pretty thick layer
- Mix the flour and sugar together well.
- Rub the butter into the flour and sugar - make sure that there are no lumps of butter left. If you make clumps, then it should crumble apart.
- Spread this over the top of the apples
- Put in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden.
- Dish up and enjoy!
This makes large portions for 4, or medium for 6. (should do anyway) It's really easy to make a smaller or bigger one, just take the same amount of flour, sugar and butter. No, margarine will not work. You can substitute the apples for any fruit you like. I do it with frozen cherries at home, but blackberries and forest fruits work well too. You can add mincemeat to the apples.
(please tell me if this isn't clear, it's my first try^^')