An instant breakfast classic which is easy and quick to do at any time of day, especially really early in the morning.
Time: 4 or 5 minutes
Serves: 1 for a meal or two for a snack
- 2 eggs
- (vegetable) oil
- 2 slices of bread
- sauce of some description
- Pinch of Salt
- Firstly crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them
- Slice the bread into halves
- Heat up a pan with some oil on a medium heat
- Dip the bread into the egg, you need to get your hands dirty and make sure it is totally covered
- Place the bread into the frying pan and turn over until both sides are golden brown
- Take out and apply pepper to taste
- Add ketchup or brown sauce or barbeque sauce if so inclined
You need to make sure the bowl and the frying pan are next to each other because otherwise there will be a huge mess to clear up.
It also goes really nicely with fried mushrooms as a kind of sandwich.
Very similar but add a small amount of milk to make the bread a bit softer and nicer and you dont need to slice the bread into halves thats just according to taste rest is just the same
Alternatively skip steps 6 and 7 in the recipe method and instead sprinkle with icing sugar and cover with maple syrup for some tasty french bread. Great hangover cure which teams well with bacon or sausages for an American style breakfast.
I find this works better with vanilla essence and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Also serve with strawberry jam for best results. :D
Exchange the bread for 2 crumpets and leave them to soak in the egg mix for a few hours and then follow the cooking section.
Cheesey Eggy Bread
Pretty much the same but grate cheese onto eggy bread between stages 6 and 7, also for best results splash Lea & Perrins over top of cheese (which should melt from hot eggy bread) if not put under grill for 2 minutes