This is a recipe that could be made as a breakfast treat or perhaps for lunch!
2 slices of bread - soda bread or preferably something crusty
Handful of mushrooms (there will be enough left over to make more)
Cheese - perhaps use anything from brie to cheddar or even halloumi
1 clove of garlic
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
Optional: Some form of meat such as smoked ham or bacon would be a non-vegetarian option to add!
1. First, get a handful of mushrooms, wash them, and then peel them. Slice them. Then, get a clove of garlic and peel it. Use the side of the knife and press it down onto the garlic to crush it. Slice the garlic to small pieces.
2. Get a frying pan and drizzle a little olive oil (perhaps 2 teaspoons - just enough to cover the pan) and put onto a hob. Heat.
3. When the oil is hot, put the sliced mushrooms and the slice garlic in, stirring to make sure the mushrooms get covered in oil. Add the seasoning of salt of pepper (a pinch of salt and as much ground black pepper that you like) and a dash of worcestershire sauce. Keep stirring the mushrooms until they turn more soft and wet and change to a darker colour after a couple of minutes (don't be afraid to taste a piece to make sure it's right!). Be careful not to burn them or overcook them as they can reduce quite a lot.
4. When the mushrooms are done, place them into the bowl and leave them on the side. Perhaps turn off the hob for a minute whilst you slice some cheese and add whatever else you desire in your toastie.
5. Next, put a little more olive oil in the pan that you have used to fry the mushrooms (there's some nice remenants from the oil that you used to cook the mushrooms) and heat. Add the slices of bread and fry for a minute.
6. Then, flip them over using a utensil (such as a fishslice - be careful not to get burnt when handling hot oil at all times!) and then place the cheese and mushrooms on one of the slices of bread. On the other slice, drizzle some balsamic vinegar.
7. Place the balsamic vinegar side onto the cheese and mushrooms so that you have a sandwich.
8. Now flip the sandwich over so that it can be cooked on the other side. After a minute or two, take out of the pan and serve, making sure that the hob is off.
This toastie goes really well with brown sauce - it can be a really nice Sunday morning treat!