Shami (Palestinian, Jordanian, Lebanese and Syrian) Dessert. Its name is Muhallabia but at home we just call it Maulabia as most Muhallabias out there are made without the ground almonds which is what makes this one special! Besides, it's way easier to pronounce Maulabia than Muhallabia:-
- 1/4 C ground rice
- 1/4 C sugar
- 3/4 C ground almonds
- 3 C milk
- 1tbsp rose water (you can add up to 2 tbsp)
- pinch salt
- handful of pistachios (roasted + chopped)
- Put aside 1/4 C milk to mix with ground rice.
- Heat the rest of the milk on medium flame.
- Blend the milk/ground rice mixture, sugar and salt into milk that is on the fire. #Stir continuously over medium heat till mixture bubbles slightly.
- Simmer for 5 minutes all the while stirring.
- After the 5 mins are up, stir in ground almonds till smooth.
- Take off the flame, add rose water and continue stirring for a minute or two.
- Dish into individual bowls. Sprinkle chopped pistachios on top of each portion. Leave to cool (preferably eaten chilled).