OK I have a really really good one for vegetable soup.....
I make this without a recipe - I made it up so the quantities may vary a bit sorry! But for about 4-6 people:
- Big pot/pan
- Hand Blender/blender/really good masher and mashing technique
- dried herbs (provenciale are good!)
- 2 vegetable oxo cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 med-large onions
- 5 potatoes
- 4 carrots
- and some kind of green vegetables (brocoli, cabbage, leek) - whatever you want really! Just do about the same amount of vegetables for each person as they'd eat with a meal.
- Ok take a large pan/casserole dish (with big sides) and peel and chop up the onions.
- Sautee (fry lightly) the onions in the pan with quite a bit of butter/oil.
- Peel and chop the other vegetables into little cubes and add them to the onions.
- Wait for them to brown slightly and then add water - add just enough so that it's nearly covering all the vegetables.
- Add the oxo cubes, salt and pepoer and about 2 tsps of the herbs and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn it down and leave to simmer for a while (if you have a lid for the pan put it on - it will take less time)
- Check that the vegetables are cooked - they should be really soft (poke them with a knife or something)
- Get a hand blender (these are probably best but you could tip the soup into a big blender or if you don't have one use a potato masher and mash very hard! (Tried and tested hehe) and just zzzz (blend) it a bit until it's the texture you want it to be (whatever your preferences are)
- And voilà - there you go! This soup is magical honest!