I dedicate this recipe to my friend Greg, who is a devoted vegetarian. When I was much younger he used to come for dinner and I then got experimenting with vegetarian recipes. Whether you’re veggie or not, I thoroughly recommend this dish. I started making it when I was 16 and it’s always worked wonderfully.
You will need:
- 1 aubergine, chopped roughly
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 4 red onions, quartered
- 5–6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red peppers, deseeded and chopped roughly
- 6 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 sprigs rosemary, thyme, or sage
- 1kg/21/4lb penne pasta
- 5 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 100g/31/2oz butter
- 500g/18oz mascarpone
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the aubergine, leeks and red onions in a large roasting tray.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Mix well and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add the peppers, tomatoes and herbs to the part-cooked vegetables.
- Mix well, season with salt and pepper, and add another tablespoon of olive oil if it looks a little dry. Return the roasting tray to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the pasta and simmer for 10 minutes or according to the packet instructions.
- Mix together the parsley,3 tablespoons of olive oil and the garlic to make a gorgeous pesto-type sauce.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pan. Stir in the butter.
- Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven and tip them onto the pasta.
- Stir in the pesto-type sauce and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the mascarpone. It should taste sensational –creamy, garlicky, and yet full of goodness with the roasted vegetables. Serve immediately.
If you want to add some meat I’d suggest some cooked chicken strips, or even some chopped bacon.
Gorgeous with a lovely green salad of lettuce, spring onions and avocado.
The roasted vegetables will keep, covered, in the fridge for 3 days and can be eaten cold in a salad or even as a topping for a pizza. Reheat in the oven at 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2 for 15 minutes. The actual pasta dish will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 days. To reheat it, place it in a saucepan over a medium heat for 5–8 minutes and stir in 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
This recipe taken with permission from:
From Pasta to Pancakes: The Ultimate Student Cookbook
Published by Quadrille
Photography by Claire Peters