- One baking potato (or other large potato)
- Double cream (or milk if you're watching calories)
- Cheddar, grated
- Olive oil (vegetable oil is also fine)
- Freshly ground salt & black pepper
- Microwave your potato for 8 minutes, make sure you prick the skin or it might explode!
- Preheat your oven to 200C whilst the potato is in the microwave.
- Pour a bit of oil on a baking tray and roll the potato around in it so the skin is sticky. Careful, the potato will be very hot.
- Grind a decent amount of salt onto the potato. The oil will make it stick and lead to a good crispy skin.
- Bake the potato until it is very crispy and a deep brown. The insides should be soft and fluffy. This may take 40 mins or so but depends on how big the potato is.
- Whilst the potato is in the oven, fry a rasher or two of bacon. Cut it up into little pieces with scissors.
- Cut the potato in half and scoop the insides into a large bowl. Make sure each half of the skin stays intact, and put them to one side.
- Mix most of grated cheese and all of the bacon into the potato insides, and add a little cream. Grind in black pepper to taste.
- Spoon the potato back into the skins. Stack 'em high!
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the potato skins and put them back in the oven for 5-10 mins, until the cheese on top has fully melted.
- Serve and enjoy.
I could eat this all day long. It goes down really well at dinner parties too! Use medium-sized potatoes if you want it to be a starter.
Recipe by Hedgeman49.