City University London is located in central London and has more than one hundred years’ experience of teaching and research.
Since its foundation in 1894 it has grown in reputation and is now particularly renowned for courses leading to professional careers. The majority of City courses are recognised by the appropriate professional bodies for the high level of relevance these course have to the professions. This can be recognized in the high employment rates and high entry salaries of City University London graduates. The university also has an extensive list of glittering alumni active in various professions.
Northampton Square, London, EC1V 0HB
+44 (0)20 7040 5060
Applicants per place:
- Cass Business School
- City Law School
- School of Arts, including the Department of Journalism
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
- School of Informatics
- School of Social Sciences
City has several library sites. Northampton Square is very broad in its range of subjects including arts, business, engineering and maths, law, computing and social sciences. A learning support coordinator will help you find what you need in the libraries collections. You can also use PCs and study rooms and do photocopying - but make sure you book the study rooms well in advance.
The School of Community and Health Sciences' library is in West Smithfield and Whitechapel. If you need to use this library you can get assistance with using all the resources and collections here and also get training in basic IT.
The City Law School also has a specialist Law Library based at Gray's Inn Place. In addition to the usual library services, there are nearly 150 computer terminals.
Cass Business School makes use of The Cyril Kleinwort Learning Resource Centre - a library, study centre and collection of many electronic resources for business and business related subjects. The total library stock is more than 350,000 volumes, the majority of which are books for borrowing. 1,800 periodical titles are held, with 100,000 volumes of scholarly journals.
IT and computing
Each student is allocated a computing user account allowing access to over 700 Windows and 90 Linux workstations across the University. A University email account, web space and backed-up file storage space are available using the University’s IT infrastructure. The University provides computer labs, a PC shop, a wireless internet network all over the university and touch screen PCs in the lecture rooms. A number of computer labs provide 24 hours access.
While City Uni does not currently have any on-site Sports Facilities, there are various initiatives on campus, more information can be found here: Sport At City
The University Health Service is located in the Health Centre which is a short walk from Northampton Square. The Service offers a nurse-led advisory service available to all students. The nurse is able to offer advice on minor illness or injuries, contraception and sexual health, as well as information and support regarding any aspect of physical or mental health. Students with any significant medical conditions are encouraged to make contact with the nurse to discuss managing their needs whilst at the University or in the event of an emergency. All students have access to the rest room in the Health Centre if they are taken unwell whilst at University during the day.
Islington boasts many essential services such as supermarkets and banks as well as numerous high-street shops and street markets. To the south of the University is Clerkenwell and to the West is Shoreditch, both areas peppered with small boutiques and designer stores. A short bus or tube ride away, Covent Garden, Oxford Street, Caranaby Street or Sloane Street house some of the most famous stores in Europe.
City University London has several restaurants and cafes on campus, including Costa Coffee in the main building as well as an italian restaurant, a restaurant with different menus every week, a sandwich and salad bar and a canteen. In addition, the university is surrounded by many places which offer a range of restaurant choices: Angel, Islington, Clerkenwell and Shoreditch are the places to go to for some of the best restaurants in the UK. There are also plenty of low-budget and takeaway options, with food from a multitude of cultures.
All the main UK banks have branches nearby on the busy Upper Street area. There is a Barclays cash machine on campus which accepts most UK and international cards and does not charge a fee.
London Underground: Nearest Stations are Angel (Northern), Barbican and Farringdon (both Met, Hammersmith and Circle).
Buses:4, 56 and 153
The Centre for Career and Skills Development provides students with careers and educational advice and guidance throughout their study at City. The Centre is available for use by all students of the University who want support in making informed, realistic choices and decisions regarding their future. Careers staff are in regular contact with a large number of opportunity providers including local, national and international employers, professional associations, City alumni and other agencies; providing students with information on vacancies, recruitment processes, training courses, presentations and occupational information. Students may access over 4,580 City graduates for advice through the Careers Network.
There are a number of part time opportunities available at the university via Unitemps. Other than that there are many pubs and coffee shops in the area who are often looking for staff.
There are provisions and chaplains on campus for all faiths.
City University London Discussions
|Latest relevant discussions||Last post/replies|
|So who is going City & Islington college?||19 minutes ago Replies: 20|
|City/Cass offers for 2014 entry?||1 Hour Ago Replies: 169|
|Adult Nursing at City University? (Undergraduate)||2 hours ago Replies: 110|
|Actuarial Science offers||9 hours ago Replies: 0|
|City offer holders||9 hours ago Replies: 23|
|(Adult) Nursing Selection Day||9 hours ago Replies: 88|
|Go to City University London forum Post new thread|
Bars, pubs and clubs
There is an on-site bar called the Saddlers' Bar, and freshers week events are often held in the nearby o2 academy, and Ministry of Sound.
Clubs and societies
The University provides an accommodation service for all prospective and registered full time students. The Accommodation Service, which is located within the Student Centre, is responsible for receiving and processing applications for the University’s halls of residence and for accommodation which is provided in partnership with Shaftsbury Student Housing third party housing providers. The Service also maintains a register of various kinds of private sector accommodation ranging from single rooms to shared flats. Staff are available to advise students on accommodation matters and to provide advice and guidance on how to search for suitable housing.
Have a look at the Students' Union website here
Arts, Science and Academia
- Clement Attlee - Labour Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1945 to 1951, ICSL
- Herbert Henry Asquith - Liberal Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1908 to 1916, ICSL
- Tony Blair - Labour Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1997 to 2007, ICSL
- Roderic Bowen - Welsh Liberal Party politician, ICSL
- Jody Dunn - Liberal Democrat politician, and a barrister specialising in family law
- Major General J.B. Dutton - Commandant General of the Royal Marines, Commander UK Amphibious Forces
- Chloe Fox - Australian politician, Labor MPfor the South Australian electoral district of Bright, MA
- Mahatma Gandhi - Political and spiritual leader of India and the Indian independence movement, ICSL
- James Hart - Commissioner of the City of London Police
- David Heath - Politician and Liberal Democrat Member of Parliament for Somerton and Frome
- Muhammad Ali Jinnah - founder of Pakistan, first Governor-General of Pakistan, ICSL
- Syed Kamall - Conservative Party politician and Member of the European Parliament for the London European Parliament constituency
- Tae-Shin Kwon - Vice Minister at the South Korean Ministry of Finance and Economy
- Liu Mingkang - Chinese Politician and Businessman, current Chairman of the China Banking Regulatory Commission, former Vice-Governor of the China Development Bank
- Jawaharlal Nehru - First Prime Minister of the Republic of India, ICSL
- HRH Princess Alexandra de Scheel - member of the House of Reuss
- Margaret Thatcher - First (and only) female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, ICSL
- Ivy Williams - First woman to be called to the English bar, ICSL
- Hasan Sharif - Son of former Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif
- Aris Spiliotopoulos - Minister of Greek Tourism, MSc
Business and Finance
- Ralph Arditti - Managing Director, Sanayi Yatirimlari Veticaret A.S. (Turkey), MSc/MBA, '70
- Brendan Barber - General Secretary of the Trades Union Congress, BA
- Apurv Bagri - Managing Director of the Metdist Group of companies in the international non-ferrous trade and industry
- Richard Caruso - Chairman of Integra Life Sciences Corporation (New Jersey)
- William Castell - Chairman of the Wellcome Trust and a Director of General Electric and BP, former CEO of Amersham plc until it was acquired by GE when he became *CEO of GE Healthcare and a Vice-Chairman of GE, BA
- Peter Cullum - British entrepreneur, founder of the Towergate Partnership, the largest independently owned insurance intermediary in Europe, 2005 UK Entrepreneur of the Year recipient
- David Essex - Chairman of Bemrose Group
- James J. Greco - CEO of Bruegger's Enterprises Inc.
- Ruby Hammer - Co-owner of Ruby and Millie Cosmetics
- Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou - Founder of easyGroup, MSc
- Penny Klein - Co-owner of Heidi Klein swimwear
- Bob Kelly - CEO of Bank of New York Mellon, former CFO of Mellon Financial Corporation and Wachovia Corporation
- Muhtar Kent - CEO of The Coca-Cola Company. Formerly, President and COO of Coca-Cola International and Executive Vice President of The Coca-Cola Company
- Phillip Monks - CEO, Europe Arab Bank plc
- Dick Olver - Chairman of BAE Systems, member of the Board of Directors at Reuters
- Andrew Pople - CEO, Kessler Financial Services International (KFSI) & Vice-Chairman, The Kessler Group
- Syed Ali Raza - President and Chairman of the National Bank of Pakistan, MSc
- Kiran Rao - Senior Vice President, Marketing and Pricing Policies, Airbus
- Kelvin Milgate - Commodity Derivatives Trader, ABN Amro Bank NV, UK and Top 30 (ranked 17) Trader under 30 as of 2006 (Source: Trader Monthly)
- Nick Roditi - Former legendary Hedge Fund Manager of George Soros' reputed Quantum Fund
- Carol Sergeant - Chief Risk Director, Lloyds TSB Group Plc
- Mark Turrell - CEO and co-founder of Imaginatik
- Gareth Wong - Founder and CEO, GamBond, Gaming Money Summit and CXO Network Europe
- Durmuş Yılmaz - Governor of the Central Bank of Turkey, BSc
- David Woodward - CEO, Aabar Petroleum Investments Company (Aabar), former President of BP Azerbaijan
- Robin Easton - CFO, Blue Nile, a leading online retailer of diamonds and fine jewelry, MBA
- Atedo N. A. Peterside - Founder of IBTC Chartered Bank Plc (“IBTC”) and CEO of IBTC since inception in 1989. Formerly, Chairman of the Committee on Corporate *Governance of Public Companies in Nigeria, BSc
- Nigel Bridges - CEO, Direct Traffic Media, a leading Digital Marketing specialist, BSc
- Carl Daly - President and Chief Underwriting Officer, Paget Reinsurance International Ltd (Paget Re) a subsidiary of ACE Bermuda Insurance Ltd, MBA
- Pont Chiu - Head of Internal Audit, Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEx), MBA
- Alex Spiroglou - London based, quasi-systematic, Cross Asset institutional proprietary trader, BSc
- Andrew Coyne - Citigroup London, Global Head of FX Prime Brokerage, MBA
- Kanesh Lakhani - Senior Managing Director, SSgA (State Street Global Advisors), MBA
- Georgios Karageorgiou - CEO, Globus Maritime Ltd, a dry-bulk shipping company, providing reliable and secure marine transportation services on a worldwide basis, MSc
Media and Entertainment
- Kamal Ahmed - Journalist; former exec editor, The Observer
- Samira Ahmed - Channel 4 Newsreader, covered the O.J. Simpson murder case for the BBC, MA
- Chris Ayres- Journalism; the West Coast Correspondent for The Times and the author of War Reporting for Cowards,
- Catherine Bennett (journalist) - Journalist for The Guardian, BA
- Richard Benson - Writer, The Farm
- Jeremiah Birnbaum - American singer/songwriter and band member of The Ramblers, MA
- Joanna Blythman - Non-fiction writer, Britain's leading investigative food journalist
- Ellie Crisell - BBC Presenter, MA
- Imogen Edwards-Jones - Novelist
- Michael Fish - BBC Weather weatherman
- Adam Fleming - CBBC reporter
- Alex Graham - Chairman of PACT
- Gillian Joseph - Sky News Presenter
- Kirsty Lang - BBC Presenter and journalist, MA
- William Lewis (journalist) - Journalist and editor of the Daily Telegraph
- Donal MacIntyre - Investigative journalist
- Sharon Maguire - Writer and Director, directed Bridget Jones's Diary, BA '89
- Rhodri Marsden - Journalist, musician and blogger; columnist for The Independent
- Sharon Mascall - Journalist, broadcaster and writer; lecturer at the University of South Australia, MA
- Dermot Murnaghan - Presenter on Sky News, MA
- Tiff Needell - Grand Prix driver, Presenter of Fifth Gear on Five, BS
- Bridgid Nzekwu - Channel 4 Newsreader
- Justine Picardie - Novelist
- Raj Persaud - British consultant psychiatrist, broadcaster, and author on psychiatry, MSc
- Ben Preston - The Times Journalist and editor
- Linda Papadopoulos - Psychologist, appearing occasionally on TV, Phd
- Richard Preston - Novelist
- Sophie Raworth - Newsreader, presenter on BBC One O'Clock News
- Joel Rubin - World-renown klezmer clarinetist
- Ian Saville - British magician, PhD
- Barbara Serra - News presenter for Al Jazeera from London, MA
- Grub Smith - Television presenter and journalist for FHM, BA
- Abi Titmuss - English television personality, glamour model and occasional actress
- Laura Topham - Evening Standard Columnist
- Jo Whiley - BBC Disc jockey
- Gary Younge - Guardian Columnist
- Richard Lipscombe - Bucks County Council Economic Development
- Bhaskar Bhattacharyya - Writer and Film Consultant
- Nerm - BBC DJ and presenter
- Mara Zacharea - Greek News Anchor
- Ifigeneia Dimitriadou - Advertiser in Gucci
Applying to City University London
Thinking of applying to City University London? Why not read some Personal Statements which were used for applying here?
Other City University London Articles
Why not read these other City University London Articles?