Edge Hill University’s Ormskirk Campus is a unique and amazing place to study. Covering 75 acres, the spacious, landscaped grounds combine original buildings and gardens from the 1930s with £60 million of modern resources, 25 acres of sporting leisure facilities, a lake and two theatres.
Current students showed their satisfaction in the 2008 National Student Survey, with Edge Hill ranked second in the North West for overall satisfaction and best in the North West for law, business, management, initial teacher training, nursing, personal development, assessment and feedback.
Experience Edge Hill for yourself by attending one of the open days held throughout the year. You’ll have the chance to tour the campus, meet current students and staff, and find out why Edge Hill is one of the fastest growing universities in the UK, with a three-fold increase in applications since 2000.
- The Learning Innovation Centre (LINC) has an array of state-of-the-art IT and media equipment. 200 PCs are accessible 24/7, complemented by industry-standard TV, radio and multimedia production facilities.
- The Creative Media and Information Systems Technology (CMIST) building houses a Newsroom, specialist Apple Mac studios, digital media design software, a 3D animation studio and video-editing and mini-disc recording facilities.
- The Performing Arts Centre includes two working theatres, a fully sprung dance studio, six drama studios, rehearsal rooms, seminar rooms and enhanced facilities for music. There’s also production studios for costume and scenery construction and computer-aided set design.
The impressive facilities extend across campus with specialist labs for biomechanics, physiology, kinanthropomentry and psychology, as well as a fully operational sport and exercise rehabilitation centre. There’s also a model classroom for teaching trainees and well-equipped biology laboratories.
The latest addition is the stunning £8m Business and Law building. The three-storey building offers modern seminar and meeting rooms, social learning areas, and a new 100-seater lecture theatre which doubles up as a moot room, a mock-up of a courtroom.
The Sporting Edge complex provides 25 acres of fully-accessible, high quality indoor and outdoor facilities. Whether you’re into team sports, athletics, or just want to keep fit, Edge Hill’s £4m sports and leisure facilities offer some of the best facilities in Higher Education.
These include a large fitness suite, swimming pool, modern dance studio, athletics track and courts and pitches for various sports. Classes cover everything from yoga to pilates and street dance.
Edge Hill has a dedicated Student Services team offering counselling services, finance and welfare advice, a careers service, accommodation help and advice and support for students with a range of learning, personal support needs and disabilities. Student Services at Edge Hill have received the Charter Mark, the government’s national standard for customer service excellence, and are there to give you all the information and support you need to ensure life at Edge Hill runs as smoothly as possible.
If you do find yourself struggling to balance home life and study or find it hard coping with a particular issue, the University’s Counselling and Advisory Service offers confidential, one-to-one sessions with experienced, qualified counsellors. Support groups and workshops on issues such as assertiveness and confidence building are also available.
Ormskirk, Lancashire, UK
Edge Hill University, St Helens Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire, L39 4QP
Applicants per place:
There’s a Health Centre on campus offering information on medical and sexual health, preventative medicine and family planning. A resident nursing sister can give general advice and treat minor injuries without an appointment and there’s a doctor’s surgery three times a week.
Where to Meet and Eat on Campus
There are some great places to eat on campus whether you want a cooked breakfast to set you up for the day, a quick sandwich between lectures or a proper evening meal.
- Terrace Café: open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks throughout the day, with a great choice of hot meals and sandwiches. Vegetarian options are available every day;
- Book Ends: a great little cafe and study space nestled among the shelves of the Learning Resource Centre;
- Water's Edge: overlooking the lake, this restaurant incorporates a cyber café and serves breakfasts, hot meals, snacks, sandwiches and salads;
- Grinders Coffer Bar: a great place to meet and relax overlooking the athletics track, with specialised coffees, pastries and snacks all available;
- The Diner: serving burgers, chips, pizza and other takeaway food;
- Garden Café: a bright, modern cafe situated on the ground floor of the Faculty of Health overlooking the rose garden.
- The Hub: The most recent addition to the campus, it features both hot and cold catering facilites, a convience shop and there's places upstairs to study
The on-campus shop also offers a good choice of sandwiches, wraps, hot and cold snacks, drinks and everyday essentials.
There's a cashpoint on campus and many banks are just 15 minutes walk, or a short bus ride away, in Ormskirk town centre.
It migt be worth noting that the on campus Cash Machine is often out of money on big nights such as Wednsdays.
Ormskirk town centre is easily reached by direct trains from Liverpool and Preston and there are frequent buses between Ormskirk and Liverpool, Southport and Wigan. The Edge Link bus service operates every fifteen minutes between the university and Ormskirk town centre and free bus passes for the service are available.
If you’re travelling to the university by car, the Ormskirk Campus is easy to reach, just a few minutes drive from junction 3 of the M58.
The Careers Service at Edge Hill can provide you with all the support you need to walk into the perfect graduate job. You can get help planning your career from the moment you start your degree. Help will also be available finding part-time, temporary or vacation work, giving you valuable experience and a few extra pounds. You can register for free with the Job Club and get access to hundreds of jobs throughout the North West. Regular careers fairs and workshops help you get information on career opportunities and meet prospective employers.
Support is also available before and after you graduate, with advice on everything from putting together a winning CV and writing great applications, to preparing for interviews and even setting up your own business.
There is a Christian Union.
Edge Hill Discussions
|Latest relevant discussions||Last post/replies|
|Children's nursing and social work degree 2014 intake||5 hours ago Replies: 4|
|Child Health and Wellbeing 2014||23 hours ago Replies: 0|
|Edge hill uni adult nursing interview 2014||2 days ago Replies: 7|
|Applying for edge hill 2014||3 days ago Replies: 21|
|Interview techniques||4 days ago Replies: 0|
|Edge Hill Social Work & Children's Nursing Degree||1 week ago Replies: 59|
|Go to Edge Hill University forum Post new thread|
Away from the campus, the Styles and Disraeli's bars in Ormskirk are favourites of students and Arriba is a popular nightclub. The Students Union arrange regular trips to nightclubs around the North West and many students head to Liverpool for the famous nightlife of Concert Square, Mathew Street and the Albert Dock. The pubs and clubs of Southport, Wigan and Preston are also in easy reach.
The three highlights in the Students Union calendar are the Freshers, Autumn and Graduation balls.
Halls of Residence
Edge Hill offers 19 halls of residence on campus, with more under construction. Priority for places is given to first year students living at least 15 miles from the University, as the crow flies, although due to the popularity of the institution accommodation cannot be guaranteed. Halls are divided into four separate areas on campus. Purpose-built rooms, fully-equipped for wheelchair access, are available.
- Kitchen and bathroom facilities on every floor; - Rooms furnished with a bed, wardrobe, desk and chair; - All bills included; - Free wireless Internet access; - Freedom to create your own space, with posters, photos and other personal items; - Resident Hall Managers, supported by Student Assistants, providing guidance and support; - No need to travel to reach lectures, seminars or other campus facilities; - 24 hour security.
Most students bring a TV and computer (you'll need to pay for a TV licence). You will also need to bring cutlery, crockery, cooking utensils, towels and bed linen including duvet and pillow.
All rooms have access to kitchen facilities and there is a great feature of free wireless internet in all halls. No bed linen nor cooking/eating untiles are provided.
There are two residential contracts available:
- 38 week contract: runs from September to June, including the Christmas and Easter vacation periods. - 40 week contract: runs from September to July, including the Christmas and Easter vacation periods.
Prices for 2009/10 range from £53 to £90 per week depending on the accommodation package chosen.
How to Apply
Once you have applied for a place on a course at Edge Hill, you will be sent information on the procedure for requesting accommodation places for 2009. It's important that you pay attention to the dates given for submitting your request and act quickly.
Allocation of Rooms
If you’re unsuccessful in securing a place in halls, there’s a wide choice of off-campus accommodation available. Many students live in easy walking distance of the university whilst others choose Liverpool or nearby towns such as Southport, all with good public transport links to Ormskirk.
Whether you thrive on the pace of big cities or need a rural retreat, Edge Hill is perfectly placed to give you the best of both worlds.