CIPD – HR career guide
HR (or human resources) opens doors to jobs in every sector – the world is your oyster. You can build your career internationally or at home. From media to engineering and from banks to charities, pretty much every industry and company will need to hire the expertise of an HR professional.
A career in HR offers long-term options and a huge variety of roles. You could be involved in recruiting or training staff one day, or helping your company decide how staff should be paid and rewarded the next. There are even roles which focus on employment law, protecting the rights of employees at work.
You can start off your career as an HR administrator but progress all the way to the top of the business as an HR director, helping to drive the direction of the business. Some HR specialists go on to be business owners and set up their own HR and training companies.
Chat with others in our Careers forum
See what CIPD are saying on twitter
At a glance
What you need to know about CIPD
The CIPD is the professional body for HR and people development. We have 140,000 members internationally who work in HR and learning and development. Being a professional body means we support our members, set the standards for professional qualifications and advise individuals and businesses on how to manage their people effectively and fairly.
151 The Broadway
+44 (0)20 8612 6200
- ForumsForums by section
Popular university forums
- Life and style
- Debate and current affairs
- Study help
- University help and courses
- Universities and HE colleges
- Careers and jobs
- GCSEGCSE home and forumsSubjects A-H
- A-levelA-level home and forumsSubjects A-G
- Applying to uniHomepage and forumsGuides and toolsPersonal statement
- UniversityUni home and forums
- Careers & jobsCareers home and forumsIndustry forumsMore industry forums
- Relationships & healthTalk health & lifestyle
- Student finance
- News & entertainmentNews forumsFind more discussion in Debate & Current Affairs »