University of Central Lancashire (UCLan)
Have you considered these universities?
Welcome to University of Central Lancashire (UCLan)
UCLan is a university based in Preston in Lancashire in Northern England. It was a former polytechnic. It used to have campuses in Carlisle and Penrith too, but they now form part of the University of Cumbria. The university seems to have a good mix of subjects too - some tending to towards the more traditional while others to the more vocational side of things.
Join the conversation
UCLan has a large, 4 storey library, with a variety of resources including books, videos/DVDs, and journals. The library also has PCs on each floor, all of which are connected to the university network, as well as having printing capabilities. Books can be checked in/out either at desks, or via the self-service machines, which means that you won't be waiting too long to take out or return them.
Access to the library is granted by use of a student's personal 'Corporate Card', which has a number of functions around the university. This ID card works as your swipe key to enter or leave the library, and any printing within the university relies on credit on the card for payment.
IT and Computing
The university has a high number of computers, working on Windows 7. The computers are equipped with a large number of programs, accessible via a network, to cater for the requirements of all students on any course. There are also now a number of Macs in the new Media Factory for students of related courses, as well as around 14 or so in the library for use by all students.
A number of the computer rooms are open access; some are available 24/7; however, some may be reserved at certain times for teaching purposes. The sheer number of computers however means that it is unlikely that a student wouldn't be able to find one to use at any given time; as they are provided both in high quantity in the library, and also in various other buildings around the university itself.
The new Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre, on the university campus, provides a number of indoor sports facilities, including:
- Fitness Suite: Technogym cardiovascular, resistance machines, kinesis and free weights.
- Cardio Zone: Cardiovascular workout area.
- Sports Hall One and Two: Badminton, Basketball, Dodgeball, Fencing, 5-a-side Football, Futsal, Hockey, Netball, Rock-it-ball, Tennis and Volleyball.
- Studio Red: Circuit, Dance, Hatha Yoga, Iyengar Yoga, Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Legs, Bums and Tums, Spinning, Tai Chi, Table Tennis and Yolates.
- Studio Blue: Aerobix, Boxercise, Circuit, Kombat, Kung Fu, Pilates, Salsa, Step, Studio Weights, Tae Kwon Do and Zumba.
- Squash Court
- Just a short distance away is the UCLan Sports Arena which offers a variety of activities and facilities for the community to enjoy recreational and competitive sport.
- 7 grass football pitches
- Grass Master Desso grass football pitch, the only one in the country available for public use (floodlit)
- 3 grass rugby pitches
- An 8 lane, International standard athletics track (floodlit)
- A astroturf indoor training facility
- 6 five-a-side all weather grids (enclosed area)
- 1 seven-a-side all weather grid (enclosed area)
- 2 full-size all weather hockey and football pitches, with 7-a-side also available
- 4 tennis/netball courts (floodlit)
- A cricket pitch
- 2 cricket nets
- A 1.5km cycle circuit, which includes a shorter, junior track
- A multi purpose meeting/activity room
- A fitness suite, with the latest range of cardiovascular and resistance machinery
- A strength and conditioning room equipped with the latest Kaiser machinery
University owned and leased accommodation
Over 2000 rooms on or adjacent to the main campus in Preston, including self-catering halls, in ensuite flats or flats with shared facilities. These include telephones in each bedroom, providing free internal calls and voicemail, external calls at competitive rates, and free internet access in all University halls. There is also free IPTV in University halls which gives you access to TV channels through your PC.
There is 24 hour security presence with CCTV and on-site staff to deal with any issues arising out of hours.
UCLan has a range of accomodation, such as:
- Standard flats apartments with four, five or six bedrooms with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities within the flat.
- Ensuite flats: apartments with five to seven bedrooms each with a personal shower room and shared kitchen/lounge facilities within the flat.
- Self-contained flats: 50 self-contained flats, each containing 1 or 2 bedrooms of varying sizes.
We also have a scheme for registering private landlords who offer accommodation to our students. The choice ranges from large, modern 400 bed halls of residence adjacent to the campus to smaller schemes of 70-100 beds, or houses with between two and six beds. All this accommodation is within a 10-15 minute walk of the campus.
- NEW! Try TSR's new search
- ForumsBy sectionMost popular forums
- GCSEBy subject
- A-levelBy subject
- Applying to uniTalk about universityGuides and tools
- UniversityTalkStudent life
- Careers & jobsTop careers forumsGuidesDiscuss careers
- Relationships & health
- News & entertainmentLatest news
- Latest news
- Educational debate
- Model House of Commons
- Loved by Students
- Student financeFull-time studentsFull-time continuing studentsPart-time students