Attachment 643000
Attachment 642992

What can I get?

If you started a postgraduate Master’s course in 2016/17 and haven’t already applied, you could get a Postgraduate Loan to help you pay for your course and living costs.

You won’t be able to get some other types of support you may have received as an undergraduate student. This includes Adult Dependants’ Grant, Parents’ Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant.

Postgraduate Loan

If you started a Master’s course in 2016/17, you can apply for a Postgraduate Loan of up to £10,000. This loan is a contribution towards your course and living costs while you’re studying and has to be paid back. The amount you can get doesn’t depend on your household income.

If your course is two years long you can get up to £5,000 in your first year and the rest in your second year. If you started your Master’s course in academic year 2016/17 and are applying for the first time, you’ll get the full payment over your second year. The deadline for applying is nine months from the start date of your second academic year.

For more information on academic year start dates, scroll down to the ‘Age’ section here. The loan will be paid into your bank account in three instalments each academic year.

You’ll have to repay any Postgraduate Loan you borrow. To find out more about repayment and the interest you’ll be charged, go to the Postgraduate Loan – Repayment page.

Disabled Students’ Allowances

If you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, you might be able to get Disabled Students’ Allowances. These don’t have to be paid back. You don’t have to be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan to apply.