Basic requirements for the RAF
Each role has its own age and educational requirements which can be viewed here: https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check/
If you wanted to apply to become a regiment gunner you don’t need to have passed any GCSEs (although functional skills in maths and English are required) and if you applied to become a pilot you would need to have passed your A-levels at an A-C grade to be considered. In addition to individual role requirements you will disqualified from the joining the RAF if you meet any of the following disqualifying factors:
- Applicants who have been or are members of a group that stirs up racial hatred and violence are automatically disqualified
- Candidates waiting to appear in court, or who have spent or unspent convictions may be excluded from certain roles and must declare this on application
- The misuse of drugs, solvents and anabolic steroids can automatically exclude an applicant, but each case is considered upon its own merits
- Tattoos, brands or bead implants that are deemed obscene or offensive may result in disqualification. Tattoos must not be visible below the wrists or above the neck while wearing uniform.
- Body piercing which causes holes that do not close up is not permitted
- Candidates who declare themselves to be an 'undischarged' bankrupt are ineligible to apply
- Any candidate who is undergoing divorce proceedings will not be permitted to complete an application for service until the outcome of this action has been finalized, i.e. the marriage is dissolved as Decree Absolute, or there is a reconciliation of the partners Please get in touch on the link below if you would like to discuss your situation, and we’ll help you work out if qualify: https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/contact/.