1. What are the disadvantages of covert observations?
- Cant combine other reserch methods,requires researcher to keep up an act and may risk engaging in illegal activity
- May cause researcher to go native, keep up an act and reduce risk of altering people's behaviour.
1 of 11
Other questions in this quiz
2. What ethical problems can participant observation cause?
- Risk of going native
- Can be decieving, sometimes illegal and immoral
- Can be too time consuming
3. What are the advantages of covert observation?
- Reduces risk of engaging in illegal or immoral activity.
- Reduces risk of hawthrone effect.
- Observer can take notes openly
4. Why is participant observation argued to gain insight?
- Because it allows the researcher to gain empathy through personal experience which can provide valid, authentic data.
- Because it allows the researcher to gain reliable authentic data through asking open ended questions.
5. What are the disadvantages of overt observations?
- Group may refuse researcher permission and cause hawthorne effect.
- Researcher may cause hawthorne effect and engage in illegal activity.