1. what is frost shattering?
- is caused by the expansion of freezing water in fractures which cause rocks to be split apart
- e expansion and fracturing of rock due to the removal of overlying rocks
1 of 13
Other questions in this quiz
2. what is hydrolysis?
- the reaction between minerals and water, causing the minerals to decompose
- when sheets of rock split off due to differential expansion and contraction of minerals during diurnal heating and nocturnal cooling
3. what are the products of frost shattering?
- a residue of angular rock called scree
- fragments of rocks
4. what is root action?
- what causes the mechanical and chemical of rocks by the wedging action of plant roots of penetrating into rocks.
- is the action of an animal when it digs a hole and brings to the surface rock and soil particles.this facilitates weathering at greater depth, by providing access for atmospheric gases and water.
5. what is carbonation?
- is the reaction between carbonic acid and the minerals.
- is the in situ chemical alteration and mechanical and biological breakdown of rocks by exposure to the atmosphere, water and organic matter.