1. Name three features of mass culture (only one answer has three correct features).
- It has no lasting value, is hard to understand, and is authentic.
- It is easy to understand, not rooted in the experiences of those who enjoy it, and created by companies in order to make a profit.
- It is of little artistic merit, bland, and created by those who enjoy it.
1 of 11
Other questions in this quiz
2. What do Marxists believe about mass culture?
- It gives everyone a false class consciousness and reflects the dynamic of the bourgeoisie exploiting the proletariat.
- It benefits everyone in society, not just the ruling class but the proletariat too.
- it is worth less than folk culture and helps the proletariat achieve class consciousness.
3. What is meant by the term mechanical solidarity?
- The social integration of members of a society through shared norms and values.
- Finding solidarity in society due to work.
- Everybody in society having disjointed norms and values.
4. What did Durkheim (func.) believe would happen to workers in newly industrialised cities?
- That bigger communities would have more cultural ties to one another.
- Social control would break down, leading to a state of anomie for most.
- That social control would be stronger than in towns and villages.
5. What do feminists believe about mass culture?
- it reinforces male gaze but has also begun to show men in the same way as women.
- That is is run by the patriarchy to reproduce gender inequalities.
- That women and men are both shown in a problematic way.