1. What fatty layer covers the axon of the neuron?
- Myelin Sheath
- Axon Sheath
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is apoptosis and why does it occur?
- Programmed cell death of poorly stimulated neurons; increases efficiency of functioning
- Increase of brain surface; to increase cell stimulation
- The formation of sulci and gyri to accommodate more neurons
- Buildings of connections between synapses to 'finely tune' the brains 'circuitry'
3. What is a teratogen?
- A chemical imbalance in the pregnant body which goes on to affect the infant
- Substances that exert an adverse influence on development e.g drugs, smoking, disease and maternal stress
- Substances that exert a positive influence on development e.g enriched environment, nutrition and exercise
- A genetic mutation in the mother which causes future disabilitys and birth complications in the infant
4. When does brain growth begin in utero?
- 18 days
- 14 days
- 6 months
- 8 months
5. What does the process of myelinisation do/improve?
- Produces nerve cells at a rate of 250,000pm
- Adds to the weight of the total brain
- Insulates the cell and improves synaptogenesis (cell communication)
- Allows cells to acquire specialised functions