1. What's it mean if a mystical experience is ineffable?
- Beyond proper description, no description from words.
- not just feelings, gives deep and direct knowledge of God.
- Temporary, cannot be sustained- effects may last and subseque
- Not initiated by the mystic, they have a sense of something acting upon them.
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. What did William James see religion as?
- Mass (worldwide) hysteria.
- Childhood abuse leading to unrealistic delusions to account for a lack of a stable father figure.
- 'the feelings,acts, and experiences of individual men in their solitude, so far as they apprehend themselves to stand in relation to whatever they may consider the divine'
- 'The opium of the people'
3. How many Americans did the RERC find 'felt close to a powerful spiritual force?' or have an experience they found religious.
4. What's a Numinous Experience?
- Same as a corporate experience.
- Awe and wonder in the presence of God.
- Direct oneness with God
- Horror at seeing a deity.
5. What's a Corporate experience?
- Alone with God.
- Direct oneness with God.
- A number of people having a religious experience at the same time an in the same place.
- Thinking of God.