The Student Room is a popular, free, informal student discussion forum, rated 5/5 on Red Hot Chilli and is the UK's largest student forum.
The site is run by students, for students. You can read and post messages on all issues, without charge. The only thing we ask is that you register (this takes seconds). Then you are free to join in any discussion, or even start your own!
Who Runs The Student Room, What Can They Do, And Can I help?
The site is operated by the administrators:
The day to day running of the site is handled by the supermods:
- CN (who owns TSR)
- J(who runs TSR)
- P(who deals with money)
- gossamerthreads(who deals with the technical stuff)
- Acaila - Pre-Menstrual Moderator (Admin)
- fleur de lis - fluffy little giraffe moderator (Admin)
However, to make the administrator's lives easier we also have some staff who are appointed by the administrators. Some of these staff operate globally in the forum. Currently the global staff are:
Others moderators operate as moderators only in specific areas. These people are known as mini mods. The mini mods are currently:
Moderators can edit, delete, rename, merge, move etc all the posts/threads (except the mini mods, who can only do so in their designated forums). They can also change signatures and avatars. Occasionally they have to ban people too. Acaila and the Administrators also have the ability to change user settings, merge accounts and make forum changes. All of the moderators have experience with the forum so can help you with any issues arising.
The administrators are too busy to answer individual user questions so instead of contacting them, please
- Ana - Complex Moderator
- BlackHawk - Mrs. Moderator
- Chicken - Indie Chick Moderator
- Dalimyr - Smilie-Obsessed Moderator
- Helenia - Rampant Boatie Moderator
- lessthanthree - better than sex
- Agent Smith Debate and Discussion forums
- Amy The Gallery
- Athena Oxbridge
- beach surf babe Health & Relationships, Fitness
- Bismarck Debate and Discussion forums
- Drogue Investment Banking & Consultancy
- insparato Academic forums
- iTalya Health and Relationships, Fitness
- LPK Chat, General Discussion
- Nefarious Model UN
- Nightowl House of Commons
- nota bene Academic forums
- Roger Kirk Academic forums
- Soc Debate and Discussion forums
- direct any queries towards a moderator by starting a thread in the 'Ask A Moderator' forum. Your thread will only be visible to you and the moderators. If they cannot help, they will either find another moderator or super moderator that can or contact an administrator for you. If you cannot access the site or for whatever reason you cannot do this, you can contact The Administrators by emailing [email protected] As The Student Room is such a busy forum, the moderators need everyone's help. So if there is a post which needs to be looked at, please report it to them by clicking the button. It's on every post and notifies each of the mods. You can then see the status of the report and which moderator is dealing/has dealt with it, by clicking here or by going to 'Track Reports' in the quick links menu or your user control panel.
What Are The Optional Subscriptions?
What Are The Forum Guidelines?
To ensure that everything is as fun and interesting as possible, we've thought of some possible guidelines that you might like to take into account when interacting with other students.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the mods.
- Be friendly, considerate, articulate, and don't swear.
- Don't ask people to send you work.
- Please don't ask people to email you. This is a message board, and it has no value if people conduct a conversation offline.
- If you have a question, try and be specific. The likelihood of receiving a helpful response diminishes if one needs to ask the poster for further clarification. It is thus in your own interests to elaborate upon a request for help.
- Spell Correctly- Try not to litter your postings with errors. Also, TRY NT T WRT N TXT LNGGE WTH VWLS STRPPED T.
- Try googling before you ask a question
- No Spam! - Please report a post if it looks spammy
- Legality and Honesty - Do not post anything that could in any way be construed as offensive, illicit or defamatory.
- No Advertising - Discussion of other sites is fine but blatant plugging of other forums, websites, products etc is not acceptable. Please report a post if you believe it is advertising.
- Questionable avatar images - We hope that you'll be sensible in choosing what sort of picture to display on your avatar - Obviously pornographic/racist images are completely out of the question and will carry consequences. However it would be wise to also consider whether images such as swastikas, hammer and sickles, etc are really worth the offence that they are likely to cause. Note that if you choose to continue using images of such a sensitive nature, you ought to be prepared for backlash and complaints to the mod team about you.
If a complaint is received about an avatar in bad taste, we will ask that you remove it, and we'd hope that you comply in order to help TSR project the inclusive image it tries to promote.
What Are The Rules Of Registration?
When registering on The Student Room we ask you to agree to certain rules. If you are already a member you have agreed to these rules and they are reproduced here as a reminder. If you are not yet a member, these are the rules you must agree to before you can become a member.
IMPORTANT: If you are signing up with the intent of getting free advertising (commercial, or non-commercial), please think again. Certain cases may be revised by the Admin.
Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.
Although the administrators and moderators of The Student Room will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of The Student Room, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
If you are found to be abusing the The Student Room forum, then we reserve the right to "warn" you, or ban you (permanently, or for xx days).
Please be as complete as possible when signing up. We manually screen each account, so the more details you can provide, the better. Please note,WE DO NOT sell email addresses (or contact information). This information is solely to track unscrupulous users, who seem determined on disrupting this site.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
You also agree to not share contents of 'secret' subscriber forums if you subsequently pay to subscribe. This includes copying information for non subscribed users and allowing others access to your account. If you are caught "sharing" your subscribers account, then this is punishable by a ban (so please keep your password to yourself, and keep it secure!)
The owners of and moderators of The Student Room reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread or post for any reason, and edit, ban or remove any user account for any reason.
Can I advertise on The Student Room?
What Is UK-Learning (UKL) And What Is The History Of The Student Room?
UK-Learning (UKL) was the old name of The Student Room.
- Since the start of time a history of TSR has been written. Each year a vote is now held for which user written version of the history for the past year will be added to the official TSR history books. The full history is available to read on this wiki.