The web has a huge range of really useful teaching resources which can aid both teachers and trainees a like in preparing their lessons and developing as a teacher. As a trainee teacher however you might not know where to find all the great things out there. Doing an online search can lead to hundreds of thousands of results, making it difficult to sort out the best resources from the long list.
So here we have a list of useful teaching links submitted by teachers and trainee teachers. Please fell free to add to the list if you make use of a website or online resource that we don't link to here. We'd also like little reviews of each site on here saying what you can expect to find at each link and how good/useful it is.
General Education Resources
- Department for Education (DfE)
- Qualifications and Curriculum Authority - Good place for ordering publications.
- Creative Partnerships
Guidance on Teaching and Learning
- Scholar Advisor - Educational Tips, Writing prompts, Essay examples.
- Learning Theory - Site looking at how people learn.
- NCRTEC Lesson Planner - Use this to help you find your way if you're still feeling a bit shaky with your lesson planning skills.
- Outstanding Lessons wikispace
- Webpage on plenaries
- Teacher Support
- TES: The Teacher's Survival Guide
- TES: Classroom Management
- Behaviour Needs
- GTTR - For information and applying for postgrad courses.
- Interview help
- New 2 Teaching - Offers advice on recruitment, essay-writing, colleague relations and tutorials on behaviour management and other areas.
- Classroom Tales - A trainee teacher blog.
- PGCE Guide - A PGCE Survival Guide. Click here to order book or free download.
- Put Your Diary On My Desk Now - Another blog.
- TES CV masterclass
- Teachers' TV Succeed at Interview programmes - Teachers' TV has been closed, but videos are hosted on other websites.
- TES Jobs - job adverts
Multiple Key Stage Lesson Resources
- BBC Bitesize - KS1, 2, 3, 4.
- Teaching Resources - Resources for teachers of KS1, 2 and 3.
- TeacherNet - Click on 'teaching and learning' for resources for all ages.
- Skoool.ie - Interactive Learning
- TES Teaching Resources - TES Teaching Resources. As well as news, it has discussion forum and is jampacked full of free teaching resources for all ages and subjects, including lesson plans. Registration (for free) is required to access resources.
- 4Teachers - Great resource site (but it's in German!).
- BLEN - Resources for KS2/KS3.
- Sparkle Box - Great site for classroom displays.
- Teachers' TV
- National Archives
- Top Marks
- Channel 4 Website
- BBC Learning Zone clips
- Guardian Education
- Ideas to Inspire
- Teacher Learning Academy
- Open Learn
- The Teacher Net
- Sites for Teachers
- Schools Net
- Learning Page
- Teaching Treasures
- Pearson Education
- National Foundation for Educational Research
- Teach It
- Box of Tricks
- Teaching News
- Skills Factory
- Classroom Tools
- CR Puzzles
- DK Clipart
- Teacher Resource Exchange
- E Themes
- Sandfields Games
- Rising Stars - Educational Software and Book Publishers (FS-KS4).
- Hope Teaching Resources - Pre-school, Primary & Secondary school supplies and teaching & educational resources.
- Promethean Planet IWB Resources
- ZigZag Education - GCSE & A-Level educational resources for schools and teachers (includes revision guides & course companions)
Borough Learning Platforms and National Grids for Learning (accessible for all)
- Birmingham Grid for Learning
- Devon Learning and Development Partnership
- Isle of Wight Education
- Jersey learning platform
- Wales NGfL
- Hertfordshire NGfL
- Northumberland NGfL
- Lancashire NFfL
- Bury Learning Platform
- National Grid for Learning
- Northern Grid
- Cumbria LEA
- Web English Teacher - Help with all aspects of English from drama to poetry.
- Folger Shakespeare Library
- Literacy Trust UK
- Everybody Writes
- Write Away
- Film Education
- English Spelling Problems
- Love Reading 4 Kids
- Suite 101
- Free Reading
- Read Write Think
- National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics
- Association of Teachers of Mathematics
- NRich Maths
- Maths Zone
- Mr Reddy Maths
- Maths Sphere
- Every Maths Topic
- Day Light Map - Shows where it is day/night in the world.
- Earth view from the sun
- Planet Science
- Discovery Education
- Southwark Science Resources
- Paignton Zoo
- Steve Spangler Science
- Mad Sci
- The Great Plant Hunt
- Science and Plants for Schools
Arts Subjects Resources
- Technology Student - 'Information sheets and exercises to enhance the study, understanding and teaching of DESIGN and TECHNOLOGY'.
- Design and Technology Association
- Technology Enhancement Project (TEP)
- Valiant Technology Ltd.
- Technology Teaching Systems Ltd (TTS)
- National Society for Education in Art and Design
- 5 Min Art
- The Africa Centre
- On-line art encyclopaedia - Excellent for finding out about artists and locating images of their work.
- The Arts Council of England
- Engage - National Association for Gallery Education.
- Hayward Gallery
- Horniman’s Museum
- National Gallery
- National Portrait Gallery
- Tate Gallery
- Offscreen Education Programme - Publishes free materials for schools.
- Teaching Music - Networking site for all involved in music education.
- National Association of Music Educators
- Partners In Rhyme
Humanities Subjects Resources
- National Centre for Languages
- RE in teacher education
- BBC Religion website
- National Society for Promoting Religious Education
- The RE Site
- Articles of Faith - Suppliers of RE artefacts for schools.
- RE Today
- Geographical Association
- Staffordhire County Council geography website
- The British Museum
- The British Library
- Museum of London
- The Metropolitan Archives
- Map MSG
- Webcams from all over the world
Other Subjects Resources
- BECTA - UK ICT education agency.
- E Learnr - Blog about useful ICT resources.
- ICT Teachers
- Teach PE
- Sport England
- BUPA - Health information on effect of exercise on the body.
- UEA Street Law - Resources for Primary and Secondary.
- RNLI Safety
- Kids/Teens Health
- Scoil.ie - Portal for Irish Education.
- Welsh Baccalaureate and Essential Skills Wales tracker- Great resource for the Welsh Bacc.
English as an Additional Language
- Global Dimension
- Teachit World - EFL resources.
- Everything ESL
- Total ESL
- ESL Kids Stuff - Primary resources for those learning English as a foreign language.
- MRC Ltd - Excellent site full of resources for those learning English as a foreign language.
- Bristol EMAS
- Using English
- School Train
Special Educational Needs
- SEN Teacher - Site for those working with special needs children.
- DCSF pages on inclusion, with publications
- Priory Woods School
- LDA Learning
- PGL - For school trips
Primary School Resources
- Primary National Strategy
- Every Child Matters
- Jim Rose's 'Simple View of Reading' on DCSF website
- Jim Rose's Review of the Primary National Curriculum on DCSF website
- Alexander's Review of the Primary National Curriculum (the Cambridge Review)
- Assessing Pupil Progress (APP)
- Assessment for Learning (AfL)
- Sure Start
- Early Education
General EYFS/KS1/KS2 Resources
- Primary Resources
- Coxhoe Primary School - Primary schools resources linked to the NC.
- Teaching Ideas - Comprehensive site containing tons of free resources for KS1 and KS2.
- Stuff 4 Teaching
- Pencil Street
- Save Your Sundays
- CBBC Newsround Teachers' Section
- Primary Plan - Primary resources. Some are free but the rest you have to pay for (albeit at a very nominal rate).
- LessonSense - Contains games, links and news relevant to primary education. US-based site.
- Primary Games Arena
- Bexley Portal
- Hamilton Trust
- Click Teaching
- Teaching Time Savers
- Teacher's Pet resources
- Imaginative Teacher
- Quality Primary Resources - Charges.
- Your Resources
- Schools Links
- Trinity Educational - Appears to charge.
- Mrs Pancake
- Primary School Teaching
- Brenden Is Teaching
- Teach It Primary
- The Teacher's Assistant
- Learn Anywhere
- Teacher Resources
- Teaching Links
- A to Z Teacher Stuff
- ED Helper
- Bilambil School Resources
- Northwood School
- Sebastian Swan
- Children's Museum
- Oswego Resources
- Primary Resource Centre
- Adrian Bruce Resources Site
- The Lighthouse for Learning
- Teaching Heart
- Enchanted Learning
- Harmony Hollow
- Teaching Time Savers
- Teachers Take Away
- Soft Schools
- Midsomer Norton links
- Curriculum Online - Now closed.
- Topic box - Easy to use for different subject areas.
- Wirlit - Australian site.
- Skool Zone - worksheets for parents to support their children in literacy and numeracy at home
- Hope Education
Interactive White Board-Specific Resources
- Espresso Primary - Great selection of videos for all topics (Some free but most require registration via school).
- TES iBoard
- Primary Games
- Poisson Rouge - Games for children.
- PBS Kids - Games, videos and activities.
- Crick Web - Interactive primary resources.
- ICT Games - Interactive primary resources.
- Antifuzz - Flash games.
- Prezi - Presentation tool.
- Brain Pop - Has videos to explain many subjects.
General EYFS/KS1 Resources
- First School Years
- Kids Soup - Preschool and kindergarten activities.
- Twinkl resources (FS and KS1)
- Under 5s
- KS1 Resources
- Up To Ten - KS1 resources
- The Mouse Club
- Big Eye Dowl
- Topic Resources
- Preschool Rainbow
General KS2 Resources
- Woodlands Junior School
- Two Mile Hill Junior School Resources
- 11 Plus Non Verbal Reasoning Tutoring
- KSOL - For 11+ exams.
- Eleven Plus
- Bond 11+
- 11+ Swot
Rewards and Classroom
- Sticker Stocker - Classroom Rewards, Stickers, Certificates, Educational Supplies and More
- Communication 4 All - Inclusion related resources (some charges).
- Instant Displays - Charges.
- Super Stickers
- School Stickers
- Cool Rewards
- Golden Time
- Literacy Matters - Framework for teaching literacy in primary schools.
- Children's Books Forever - Allows you to download and print full colour PDFs of a limited number of children's books.
- Poetry Archive - Allows you to play poets reading out their own poems.
- Read, Write, Think - Very American but still useful.
- First News
- Fiction Teachers
- Cumbria Literacy Resources
- MES English
- Writing Fun
- Jolly Learning
- Stories from the Web
- Ladybird Books
- Toppsta - community site focused on rating children's books
Phonics and Spelling Resources
- Focus on Phonics
- Words and Pictures - BBC site for the popular children's television programme. Great for teaching phonics/letters/spelling etc to KS1, whether native speakers or EFL learners.
- Letters and Sounds
- Mr Thorne does phonics - Useful youtube videos to use for teaching phonics.
- English Spelling Problems - More theory based and helps the teacher in understanding difficulties.
- Roy The Zebra
- The Standards Site - Primary school numeracy information.
- Numeracy World - Free photocopiable maths worksheets and resources, mostly aimed at KS2.
- Number Fun
- Maths Frame - Free resources for Block A.
- Learning Clip - Games for IWB - requires subscription for full access.
- NRICH Maths - Useful for problem solving ideas.
- Ambleside Primary Website
- Active Maths
- Year 5 Numeracy Wikispace
- Loders Primary School Resources
- Mental Starter of the Day
- Maths Dictionary For Kids
- Rainforest Maths
- Maths Agony Aunt
- Big Brainz
- Delicious Maths
- Sums - Some if not all content requires subscription.
- Innovations Learning
- Primary School Science
- BBC Science Clips
- UEA Creative Partnerships
- Nature Grid
- Yucky Discovery
- Bones and Harry
- GL Science
- Compare 4 Kids Science Boot Camp - Year 6 SATs and past papers
- Peak Scientific Learning Resources Centre
Arts Subjects Resources
- Purple Mash - From the makers of 2Simple.
- Primary D&T
- DTLK Kids - Crafts site.
- Turner Contemporary – Gallery which publishes cross curricular resources online.
- Music Manifesto - Details of an important government initiative.
- Sing Up - National initiative to promote singing in primary schools.
- Arts Alive - Good practice with the arts.
Humanities Subjects Resources
- Primary Languages
- National Advisory Centre on Early Language Learning - Primary school language teaching help.
- Ordnance Survery Children's Website
- Primary History
- Dipity - Create interactive timelines.
- Snaith History Site
Other Subjects Resources
- Active School Flag - Ideas for PE activities.
- Department for Transport Primary section
- Greenwich ICT Schemes of Work
- Kent ICT
- Oxford ICT
- NAACE ICT - Mix of subject resources.
Secondary School Resources
- Secondary Design and Technology
- Design inSite - Design and Technology site on 'materials'.
- Ordnance Survey
- Tutor 2 U - Economics, Buisness Studies, Law, History, Politics & Sociology A level materials.
- Teach ict - Award winning site for teaching ICT.
Other Secondary Info
These links could be used across key stages and subjects - and may even be useful outside the classroom altogether!
- Drop Box - Allows you to synchonise items between different computers.
- Link Bunch - Put a load of links in one small link.
- Jog the Web - Similar thing to above.
- Simply The Best Fonts
- Zamzar - For file conversion (e.g. youtube).
- Wallwisher - Class can write on a wall so they can have a conversation.
- Notaland - Create collaborate items, which are a mix of a notebook and mini-websites.
- Primary Pad - For collaborative writing.
- Story Bird - For collaborative writing, including illustrations.
- Puzzle Maker
- My E Book
- SharpClass - Free, web-based classroom management system.
- Scratch - Create and share your own interactive stories, games, music and art.
- Xtra Normal - Make your own films online.
- Voki - Make your own speaking avatar.
- Go Animate - Create your own animations.
- Animoto - Create films from pictures and audio you upload.
- Pic Lits - Create a caption/phrase to go with a picture.
- Discovery Box - Create your own box.
- Memiary - Record 5 things you've learned today.
- Wordle - Create a word cloud.
- ABCYa - Alternative link for making word clouds.
- Taxedo - Another link for making word clouds!
- Link to primary toolkit bar (facebook)
Education News Sites
There are a number of news websites which have education sections. These are useful for teachers to keep up with the latest things affecting teachers and for you to hear about anything really useful you might be able to use in your lessons:
- BBC Education News
- Education Guardian
- Times Educational Supplement
- Times Higher Educational Supplement
- Teaching Forum - For teaching questions - get ideas for lessons and share ideas with others.
Got postgrad questions which aren't covered above? Then visit the Postgraduate Forum to get your answers.
- Postgraduate Education
- Postgraduate Student Profiles:
- Types of Postgraduate Course
- Application tips and advice for:
- Funding Postgraduate Study
- Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study
- Pros and cons of pursuing Postgraduate study
- Routes into Teaching
- Writing a Teaching Personal Statement
- Postgraduate and Teaching Personal Statements
- GTTR Application Guide