Ok, I should start off by explaining some **** about this cake.
- This cake is obscene in its level of chocolateyness. It's not one for children. You will ruin them.
- It's a gynaecology cake because the recipe was given to me by a colleague at the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
- The recipe is strange in that there is no flour involved. Do not worry about this, it's fine.
Edit: I think this cake is called Chocolate Lava Cake in the US or Molten Lava Cake
- 300g dark chocolate – at least 60% cocoa solids (of for orange flavour use 200g of dark chocolate and 100g Maya Gold or other good quality orange chocolate - I personally would just go for dark though)
- 165g (5½ oz) unsalted butter
- 275g (10oz) caster sugar
- Pinch salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tbspn ground almonds plus extra for dusting the tin
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F
- Grease an 8” or 9” loose bottomed / springform cake tin with butter and dust with ground almonds – shake off any excess
- Melt chocolate, sugar, butter and salt in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water (or if you can't be arsed with that do it very carefully in a microwave, but be careful as if you do it for too long the chocolate will burn and taste rank.)
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and the ground almonds. Like preferably with an electric whisk and for a while until it's a kind of foamy rather than liquidy.
- Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat and fold the eggs into the chocolate. Be careful - don't bash out all the air.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 35 – 40 minutes
- When it is out of the oven remove the sides of the tin and leave to cool.
- When completely cold, dust with icing sugar
IMPORTANT NOTE: This cake will still be wobbly in the middle when you take it out. Do not worry about this. The cake when finished should be soft(ish) in the middle. It will also sink a bit in the cooling process. This is also fine, just say it's "rustic" or something.
Om nom nom nom