I've called this Sexy Tiramisu, because that's what it is. It is enormously sexy, and an excellent tool to get someone into bed. Use with caution.
So, Tiramisu. Serves three, or two really greedy people.
- 2 eggs
- 160g ish mascarpone
- Savoiardi/Ladyfinger biscuits - why are they called lady fingers? I would hate to have fingers that fat. Allow roughly 6 per person.
- Cocoa powder
- About 125ml strong, cold coffee
- 50 ml amaretto! Or rum, or brandy.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1. Separate out your eggs into two large bowls. Beat the yolks while slowly adding the sugar until the mixture is rich, yellow and creamy like really expensive semi-molten vanilla ice-cream, only yellower. Beat the egg whites until stiff and peaky.
- 2. Add the mascarpone to the egg a spoonful at a time and beat until well incorporated. Fold in the egg whites gently, ensuring that you don't fold out all the air you have whipped in.
- 3. Mix your amaretto and coffee together and dip the ladyfingers in. This was a stressful experience for us as I left the biscuits in for too long and they went soggy and broke. May well be a wise decision to dunk rather than soak, though please ensure they are well-infused!
- 4. Make a layer of about half the biscuits in either one large dish or individual receptacles. Smooth over half the zabaglione cream mixture and make another layer of soaked biscuits on top of that.
- 5. Finally, smooth the remaining zabaglione over the top and leave in the fridge for at least three hours, while you pursue other extra-curricular activities, like having a bath or reading Simone de Beauvoir while drinking more amaretto.
- 6. When you're ready to serve, dust heartily with cocoa powder through a sieve, and dispense!