20 Cups - This is an excellent vegetable stock - freeze what you don't use for next time.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, well washed and chopped
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley stems
- 2 teaspoons dried whole marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 3 Turkish bay leaves or 1/2 Caolifornia bay leaf
- 1 1/2 gallons cold purified water
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the vegetables and stir-fry to brown lightly. Add the marjoram, thyme, bay leaves, and cold water. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for one hour.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve or a cheesecloth-lined colander.
- Press or squeeze the vegetables to extract their liquid. Discard the vegetables.
Per serving: 36 calories 0 g sugar 0 g total fat (0 g sat) 0 mg cholesterol 7 g carbohydrate 0 g protein 2 g fiber 0 mg sodium