The Youth in Action Programme aims to achieve the following general objectives:
- promote young people's active citizenship in general and their European citizenship in particular;
- develop solidarity and promote tolerance among young people, in particular in order to foster social cohesion in the European Union;
- foster mutual understanding between young people in different countries;
There are 5 different "Actions" in which one can participate.
- Action 2 - European Voluntary Service
helps young people to develop their sense of solidarity by participating, either individually or in group, in non-profit, unpaid voluntary activities abroad.
- Action 3 - Youth in the World
promotes partnerships and exchanges among young people and youth organisations across the world.
- Action 4 - Youth Support Systems
includes various measures to support youth workers and youth organisations and improve the quality of their activities.
- Action 5 - Support for European Co-operation in the Youth field
supports youth policy co-operation at European level, in particular by facilitating dialogue between young people and policy makers
The European Voluntary Service 
The European Voluntary Service (EVS) is essentially a gift from the European Union. It's an offer that - if you are given the chance - cannot afford to turn down.
- Available for all young people (in the EU++) aged 18-30.
- You can go to any of the 27 EU countries + Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Turkey
- You find an organisation who are willing to send you.
- EG. a non-governmental organisation/association, local/regional authorities or other bodies active in social, cultural, environmental, community or youth work
- You choose a country and/or a theme
- You then have to search through the database looking for programs that appeal to you.
- You choose some programs which appeal to you and email them, asking if they are still looking for volunteers. If they are, you continue to your...
- The sending organisation has to write a letter of recommendation for you