You’ll be able to revise and test yourself on the go with flashcards and revision cards. Here’s how you can create your own.
Why make flashcards and revision cards?
Flashcards are small, double-sided pieces of card with a question on the front and its answer on the back of the card. You can use them to test yourself by reading the question and checking you know what the answer is before you read the reverse side.
Revision cards are often larger than flashcards. This means they can contain more detailed information and key points can be emphasised with colour or highlighting.
Flashcards and revision cards are a really useful way of breaking your revision down into little chunks of information that you can test yourself on.
Tips for making great flashcards and revision cards
- As a few examples, you can use flashcards to create: questions and answers, key terms and their definitions, dates and events, names of people and their quotes
- Write the answers on the back of your flashcards in pencil, so you won’t risk being able to see it through the card
- Make your revision cards memorable and easy to read by using different colours and highlighting
- Use your cards in a group, and get family or friends to test you as well as testing yourself
- Place your cards in three piles according to whether you know them, partly know them or don’t know them at all. Focus on the cards you don’t know and partly know and try to move them to the known pile
- Test yourself regularly on the cards – not just once.
Advice from the TSR community on making flashcards and revision cards
How to create flashcards and revision cards online
Use our flashcard tool to build your own set of flashcards. You can use them to test yourself online, or print them off and fold them to make double-sided cards.
We also have a tool that allows you to create revision cards that you can either print out or use to test yourself online. Choose different fonts, colours and formatting to highlight key information and make it stand out. If you test yourself online, our tool will remove keywords that you’ll have to identify and put back in the right place.
If you’d prefer to use existing sets of flashcards and revision cards, there are thousands of sets covering every subject at every level in our Resource Library.
Here are some quick links depending on which exams you're taking:
To find more revision tools, go to the resources hub.