When completing this piece of coursework I found it quite hard, even though it wasn't the most difficult piece of coursework. It requires a lot of information. If you have been doing this particular piece of coursework and have already chosen your two businesses then some of the information will be irrelevant; otherwise this is a pretty good assignment brief to work to, with lots of information about two example business, Tesco and BP. I hope this helps; add more information if you think it may help others.
Unit 12: International Dimensions of Business
Task 1 You have to choose two international businesses, one with a European Union presence and one which is global.
Task 2 Provide a description of both businesses – include:
- information about the business in terms of legal format, type, target market, sector and product range
- identification of the business aims and objectives e.g. increasing sales, profit maximisation, attracting new staff, improving customer service, cost cutting, increasing efficiency, appealing to a global market
- the type of competition (perfect, monopoly, monopolistic or oligopoly) that the business faces in its domestic and overseas market.
Task 3 Comment (with examples) about the similarities and differences between the businesses
Task 4 Explain why both businesses have become international (with examples)
Task 5 Comment on whether the businesses meet their aims and objectives by being international businesses (with examples)
Task 1 Choose one of the businesses.
Task 2 Identify the objectives of the business that have led to it becoming an international business.
Task 3 Explain why the theory of comparative advantage may explain why the business has become international.
Task 4 Select the most important factors (at least four) that have led the business to become international.
'Task 5 Comment on any effects the business has had on a host country. Consider:
Task 6 Comment on any incentives the home country or host country has provided to get the business to locate.
Task 7 Comment how the business' international presences affects its own performance.
Task 1 Choose one business.
Task 2 Explain how international trade organisations (European Union and World Trade Organisation) affect international business.
Task 3 Explain how membership of international trade organisations help:-
- Businesses (Provide specific examples from your business)
Task 4 Explain how membership of international trade organisations may limit trade for your business.
Choose a business which operates in the developing world and has been considered controversial. E.g.
- Royal Dutch Shell in Nigeria
- BP in Nigeria
- Gap employing children in South Asia
Task 1 Explain why businesses have become multinational
Task 2 Explain with examples how the chosen business has affected the countries in which it operates. Note different impacts on developed and developing countries.
i.e. why do businesses move production from developed countries to developing countries – which stakeholders benefit.
Mention advantages and disadvantages
Task 3 Consider the wealth of multinationals and why this may help them influence host countries.
Example companies you could discuss & links
- Website - http://www.tesco.com/
- Useful info – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco
- Annual Report (Aims and Objectives found on page 7) - http://www.tescoreports.com/downloads/tesco_review.pdf