The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Euler
L'Hopitals Rule :rolleyes:

yeah, that's the one :biggrin: .
Reply 21
how come z can hold any value when x=0 and y=0?
RichE
You can't apply L'Hopital's rule to x/y as LHR works for one variable. x/y hasn't a limit as i said.

But if you know LHR then you could apply to say to the following limits as x tends to 0 (all of the 0/0 variety)

sin(x)/x, tanx/x^2, (1-cosx)/x^2,

and get

1, infinity, 1/2

as your answers - which surely convinces that 0/0 cannot be sensibly assigned a single value in all circumstances.

I'm not sure on this but couldn't you simply differentiate it implicitly? :confused:
darkenergy
how come z can hold any value when x=0 and y=0?

'cause it's a vertical line perpendicular to the xy plane
Reply 24
oh yeah......
Reply 25
You can't make any sense of 0/0 as a real number. Like El Stevo says it's called an indeterminate.

That makes sense. You can't really apply normal rules of algebra here as there are infinitely many values.

1^infinity, infinity/infinity, infinity - infinity, infinity^0

Aren't 1^infinity and infinity^0 just 1? Perhaps the others can be indeterminate though if you say there are an infinite number of possible relative 'sizes' of infinity.
Reply 26
Gaz031
What's so indeterminate about:
1^infinity - isn't it just 1?
infinity/infinity - isn't it just 1?
infinity-infinity - isn't it just 0?
infinity^0 - isn't it just 1?

there are different infinities, all of which i presume will give different 'answers'
Reply 27
but from your logic:
if infinity/infinity = 1, why shouldnt 0/0 be 1?

if infinity^0 is 1, surely 0^0 = 1?

Lastly 0/0 is same as 0^0.
Reply 28
Okay i'm not sure sure about inf^0 but surely 1^inf is 1?
It's a very interesting topic but arguably more philosophical than most areas of mathematics.
Do we have a set of theorems to do with the laws concerning infinity or do we rely on intuition?
Reply 29
1^infinity is definite 1. Unless repetitive multiplication of 1 changes its property :biggrin:
i'm pretty sure inf^0 is 1
darkenergy
but from your logic:
if infinity/infinity = 1, why shouldnt 0/0 be 1?

if infinity^0 is 1, surely 0^0 = 1?

Lastly 0/0 is same as 0^0.

how is 0/0 = 0^0?
Reply 32
well:

2 / 2 = 2 ^ 0

so similarly

0 / 0 = 0 ^ 0
Reply 33
coldfusion
I'm not sure on this but couldn't you simply differentiate it implicitly? :confused:

No - because x and y vary independently - y doesn't depend on x.
Reply 34
Gaz031

Aren't 1^infinity and infinity^0 just 1? Perhaps the others can be indeterminate though if you say there are an infinite number of possible relative 'sizes' of infinity.

No 1^infinity can take any positive value as well.

A famous example is (1+1/x)^x which as x->inf gives e.

(1+1/x^2)^x -> 1 as x->inf

(1+1/x)^(x^2) -> inf as x -> inf

On the infinity^0 front consider

(a^x)^(1/x) which gives a as x -> infinity
Reply 35
El Stevo
there are different infinities, all of which i presume will give different 'answers'

Senor El Stevo

Hmm not really this is a different idea to the different infinities you see in set theory.

There are two infinities in real analysis normally - just the +inf and -inf notions.
Reply 36
darkenergy

so similarly

0 / 0 = 0 ^ 0

How does this help - they're both indeterminate :frown:
Reply 37
RichE
How does this help - they're both indeterminate :frown:

yes but coldfusion asked, "how is 0/0 = 0^0?"
Reply 38
RichE
No 1^infinity can take any positive value as well.

A famous example is (1+1/x)^x which as x->inf gives e.

On the infinity^0 front consider

(a^x)^(1/x) which gives a as x -> infinity

Interesting examples, thanks. Surely in the first example though you never actually reach '1' on the inside of the fraction? Doesn't it just tend to 1 but the infestimal part remaining means the value inside is slightly greater than 1 and so it can only then be multiplied to give a number above 1?
Reply 39
Gaz031
Interesting examples, thanks. Surely in the first example though you never actually reach '1' on the inside of the fraction?

Well yes, but in a sense that's the point.

If one writes 0/0 is indeterminate we mean that as a limit x/y can take all sorts of different values when x and y tend to 0 - but neither of them reach 0 either.

Likewise 1^infinity being an indeterminate means ths x^y takes all sorts of different values as x tends to 1 and y tends to infinity. Neither the 1 nor the inf are ever actually achieved.

Latest