The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sequel to "2001: A Space Odyssey"?

Sounds cool, but the solutions will be on Meikleriggs. No reason we can't have a separate set, though.
Reply 2
DeanK22
... to do the papers - solutions only...

You should have a look at how the other threads were set out and try to achieve a similar style, coz at the moment, the thread title and the OP are ****.
sohanshah
OP is ****.

... a laughable comment.
Reply 4
DeanK22
... a laughable comment.

I meant Original Post. But hey if you want it to mean Original Poster, feel free :yep: :tongue:
STEP II, 2004, Question 2

Spoiler

STEP I

Question 1:

Spoiler

ii)

Spoiler

iii)

Spoiler

STEP II, 2004, Question 5

Spoiler

STEP III, Question 8;

Spoiler

Reply 9
STEP I Question 2

i) Graph attached (I was lazy and didn't draw it myself...)

From graph:

Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{array}{rl}[br]\displaystyle\int_0^a \sqrt{[x]} \, dx & = \displaystyle\int_0^1 \sqrt{0} \, dx + \int_1^2 \sqrt{1} \, dx + \cdots + \int_{a-1}^a \sqrt{a-1} \, dx \\ \br \\[br]& = \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{a-1} \sqrt{r} \end{array}

ii) Similarly,

\begin{array}{rl}[br]\displaystyle\int_0^a 2^{[x]} \, dx & = \displaystyle\int_0^1 2^0 \, dx + \int_1^2 2^1 \, dx + \cdots \int_{a-1}^a 2^{a-1} \, dx \\ \br \\[br]& = \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{a-1} 2^r = \frac{1 - 2^{a}}{1-2} = 2^a - 1 \end{array}

(sum of a GP)

iii)

\begin{array}{rl}[br]\displaystyle\int_0^a 2^{[x]} \, dx & = \displaystyle\int_0^{[a]} 2^{[x]} \, dx + \int_{[a]}^{a-[a]} 2^{[x]} \, dx \\ \br \\[br]& \displaystyle = 2^{[a]} - 1 + (a-[a])2^{[a]} = \boxed{(a-[a]+1)2^{[a]} -1} \end{array}

STEP II, 2004, Question 10

Spoiler

... has anybidy got a latex issue??? I can't view it.
STEP II, 2004, Question 3

Spoiler

Someone do II question 1. I can't be arsed typing it up (and it's a rubbish question).
Original post by Erd&#337
Or do we?

... going to do it again
Reply 15
III Question 1

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
I know it says answers only at the top of this thread but I'd like to ask a question. Sorry.

I just did 4i from paper 2 and out popped the required result but I didn't use/need the condition that tan3α=ab\tan^3\alpha=\frac{a}{b}.

Any comments on why this condition is necessary?
rnd
I know it says answers only at the top of this thread but I'd like to ask a question. Sorry.

I just did 4i from paper 2 and out popped the required result but I didn't use/need the condition that tan3α=ab\tan^3\alpha=\frac{a}{b}.

Any comments on why this condition is necessary?

... differentiate it
Reply 18
DeanK22
... differentiate it

I'd appreciate it if you'd say a little more. :smile:
rnd
I'd appreciate it if you'd say a little more. :smile:

... the result you have derived - differentiate it and set it to zero and you will otain tan^3(alpha) = a/b

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending