The Student Room Group

AQA Philosophy 2009 (New Specification) Revision Notes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Does anyone have similar notes to the reason and experience and why should i be governed ones, those are simply brilliant thanks a ton for those!!!

I was hoping someone might have the full revision and the key points version of "Why should i be moral" - dealing with things such as;
-Morality as a social contract
-Contractarianism
-Impartiality
-Egoism
-The myth of Gyges
-The healthy personality
-Mental health - extension
-The forms
-The ideal
-John Stuart Mills (an alternate view)
-Aristotle
-Abortion
-Virtue theory and self-interest
-The categorical imperitive
-Suicide
-Euthanasia

(outlined roughly by the AQA philosophy guide)

I was also wondering if anyone had a list of key terms from these seperate studying categories in philosophy;

Reason + Experience
Why should I be moral
Tolerance
God + The world

Thanks in advance, i'd really appreciate any of this xD a few weeks of hardcore revision indeed >_<
Reply 21
Does anyone have revision notes on the chapter 'Why should i be moral' and Tolerance, if you do can you please post them.

Thank you
Reply 22
Second alhams request there :smile:
Reply 23
Here are the notes on Why should I be moral, governed and reason and experience. These are detailed notes written by a teacher and AQA examiner
Reply 24
stannardin
Here are the notes on Why should I be moral, governed and reason and experience. These are detailed notes written by a teacher and AQA examiner

Wonderful! Thanks again! I'll upload my 'Tolerance' notes as soon as they're done.

Considering you're an examiner, I guess you're a good person to ask. I got my script back for the January exams today, and in the January exams, was awarded 100% UMS. However, on the script that I've got back, I scored 68/90 raw marks, giving me 75% overall.

Can this possibly be right that I was given 100%? Is it a huge marking error in my favour, or were other candidates simply not as good as well? Do you know the rough scaling from raw marks to UMS?

Thanks.
Kneechuh
Wonderful! Thanks again! I'll upload my 'Tolerance' notes as soon as they're done.

Considering you're an examiner, I guess you're a good person to ask. I got my script back for the January exams today, and in the January exams, was awarded 100% UMS. However, on the script that I've got back, I scored 68/90 raw marks, giving me 75% overall.

Can this possibly be right that I was given 100%? Is it a huge marking error in my favour, or were other candidates simply not as good as well? Do you know the rough scaling from raw marks to UMS?

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the notes.

This is the grade boundary for the new specs:

50/90 --- A
43/90 --- B
36/90 --- C
29/90 --- D
22/90 --- E

So 68/90 COULD give you 100UMS, yes.

Source:http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCE-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JAN09.PDF
Reply 26
Thanks for those and i'd much appreciate those tolerence notes as soon as possible.
Reply 28
Thank you :smile:
Reply 29
Kneechuh
Here's the notes for tolerance!

This is awesome, thanks. Are there any notes like this for why should i be moral? The other notes whilst good, are a little hard to digest as revision, whereas the 'keypoints' are very easy to revise from. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has key points for why should i be moral, its hard to pinpoint and i don't like doing myself incase of making mistakes then revising the mistakes.
Reply 30
Thanks for these but its going to be hard to learn for R&E and WhyIShouldBeGoverened in like 5days!
Reply 31
Anyone got Jan09 Unit 1 paper?
Reply 32
Amit92
Anyone got Jan09 Unit 1 paper?

I'm unable to scan it, but you can buy both of the papers here. The questions on the paper I sat (PHIL1) were:

Theme: Reason and experience
1)
a) Explain and illustrate one account of the origin of our conceptual schemes. (15 marks)
b) How convincing is the view that we are born with at least some (innate) knowledge? (30 marks)

Theme: Why should I be governed?
2)
a) Explain and illustrate two ways in which an individual might possess authority. (15 marks)
b) Is any account of the condition of mankind in a state of nature convincing? (30 marks)

Theme: Why should I be moral?
3)
a) Explain and illustrate two criticisms of the view that morality is the product of a social contract (15 marks)
b) 'I might believe that an action is morally right, but this does not give me a motive to perform it.' Discuss. (30 marks)

Theme: The idea of God
4)
a) Outline two versions of the ontological argument. (15 marks)
b) Assess the view that God is no more than a human construction. (30 marks)

Theme: Persons
5)
a) Explain and illustrate the claim that the concept of a person is primitive. (15 marks)
b) How convincing is the claim that some non-human animals could be persons? (30 marks)

I just typed them out, so there could be some errors. You have to answer question 1, and one other question, and you're allowed 1 hour and 30 mins. If it's any help I took this on the 13th of January, 1.30pm to 3.00pm
Reply 33
does anyone have any notes of knowledge of the external world?
Yes, I agree! Some notes on this would be very helpful!

Though I do have a table of basic infomation if that would help. I'll have to come back and post it later, as it needs to be typed up.
stannardin
I am the AQA examiner!!

The notes are a compilation of material from a variety of different sources - some my own notes and some notes from Michael Lacewing and the Chief Examiner for the AQA.

Not difinitive but should give a good steer as to what they are looking for.

Good ol' Michael lacewing
Kneechuh

Thanks.

Of course you can - do you not understand UMS? In raw marks you could get a lot lower than 100% but if the rest of the country does badly you still could get 100% etc.
Amit92
Thanks for these but its going to be hard to learn for R&E and WhyIShouldBeGoverened in like 5days!

one and a half days for me :rolleyes:
Reply 38
abcxyz6666
Hi, thanks for the notes.

This is the grade boundary for the new specs:

50/90 --- A
43/90 --- B
36/90 --- C
29/90 --- D
22/90 --- E

So 68/90 COULD give you 100UMS, yes.

Source:http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCE-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JAN09.PDF

Those grade boundaries seem very low, which bodes well for us people taking the exam in May/June, assuming they don't change too much :smile:

Only 56% for an A! :woo:
Reply 39
SiaSiaSia
Of course you can - do you not understand UMS? In raw marks you could get a lot lower than 100% but if the rest of the country does badly you still could get 100% etc.

Yeah. It just surprised me how I could drop so many marks and yet still claim 100% UMS...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending