The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 1
Chrisateen
Hey

I was just wondering how difficult is EC201 compared to EC102. Do you think someone like me who found EC102 hard can cope with EC201.

Plus next year I need to choose between EC210 and EC220 and was wondering which one is easier

Hi,

I would of thought you only found EC102 hard because you haven't studied Economics before, therefore found it a bit harder/longer to grasp the concepts.

If I'm right EC102 is an introductory course and provides the foundation for further Economics courses. So I would assume that you can certainly cope with EC201 and will cope better than EC102 as you have the introductory knowledge.

As for your next question: Looking at the module statistics for 2005/6...

EC210 - 1:1 = 25%
EC220 - 1:1 = 36%

EC210 - 2:1 = 25%
EC220 - 2:1 = 28%

EC210 - 2:2 = 23%
EC220 - 2:2 = 12%

Maybe this suggests EC220 is easier? But you shouldn't rely on probabilities as the chance of doing well in a module depends on that person and how much they study etc.

Also, try and pick a module that you will enjoy. After all, learning a module that you find boring will be much harder to pass than learning a module you love.

Hope that helps.

(btw I'm not even at LSE yet so don't rely on this info too much lol)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Mr Kipling

(btw I'm not even at LSE yet so don't rely on this info too much lol)

But you speak like such a pro!

Chrisateen according to Sam in my thread EC201 is better than EC102. So good news there.
Reply 3
Sports Racer

Chrisateen according to Sam in my thread EC201 is better than EC102. So good news there.

Why, thank you.

I see that you're doing Management Sciences. I'm considering taking Information Technology and Society as an outside option. Can you tell me whether it is a good course?

Also it says that students should be familiar with MS Office software. What does this mean? Like are we expected to be good at using Excel, Frontpage and Publisher?

Also what does the exam and coursework involve?

Sorry for all the questions...
Mr Kipling
Why, thank you.

I see that you're doing Management Sciences. I'm considering taking Information Technology and Society as an outside option. Can you tell me whether it is a good course?

Also it says that students should be familiar with MS Office software. What does this mean? Like are we expected to be good at using Excel, Frontpage and Publisher?

Also what does the exam and coursework involve?

Sorry for all the questions...

No it's no problem.

IS143 tries to tackle questions like 'Are national ID cards a good idea?' and 'How do we balance privacy with society's security?'. Essentially, how technology and society interact with each other and what the implications are.

The content is relevant to current affairs and at the beginning of every lecture the guy goes over about 10 news stories he's found in the past few days and has a chat about them.

Anyway. The course is assessed 60% exam, 40% coursework.

The coursework is broken down into 25% essay 15% group project.

You will need to complete a 5000 word essay on a topic within information society of your own choosing. I picked file sharing incentives, piracy, music industry's responses and online music distribution models for mine. You get 15 weeks (including Christmas break) for it.

The group project involves picking a controversial topic within IS (e.g. biometrics) and in your group of 4-5 create a campaign site which details why the issue should get a look into etc. Five weeks to make the site and a page-long document on how well you got on with your group. Easy.

The exam involves picking three essays out of eight to do in two hours. So you'll be doing 35-minute essays so not too much depth required. One question on the exam this year was 'A social networking site has sold profile info to employers and universities so that they can use it to vet candidates. What's bad about this?'

Overall a welcome course which is nowhere near as intense as EC102, AC100 or the MA/ST's. The content is interesting but lectures and classes are pretty dry.

All the IT skills you need is knowing how to type an essay in Word. Everything else they teach you.

Hope that helped.

I don't want to hijack this thread with IS so PM me if you have any other questions.
Reply 5
Sports Racer

I hope so otherwise Im best off changing degrees
Reply 6
Chrisateen
Hey

I was just wondering how difficult is EC201 compared to EC102. Do you think someone like me who found EC102 hard can cope with EC201.

Plus next year I need to choose between EC210 and EC220 and was wondering which one is easier

From somebody who's taken all those modules.

EC201 is probably easier than EC102, at least from an exam perspective. A lot of the MT material is mechanics, and the LT experience is probably the best part of any course I've had thus far at LSE.

EC220 - some students develop a mental block, but in reality it's "easy" from an exam perspective given that the textbook is all you need to know, plus the exam format is unchanged for a long, long time.

EC210 - lots of models, equations, derivations etc. Not a very scoring subject, and they did step the material up a notch this year.
Reply 7
Sigma
From somebody who's taken all those modules.

EC201 is probably easier than EC102, at least from an exam perspective. A lot of the MT material is mechanics, and the LT experience is probably the best part of any course I've had thus far at LSE.

EC220 - some students develop a mental block, but in reality it's "easy" from an exam perspective given that the textbook is all you need to know, plus the exam format is unchanged for a long, long time.

EC210 - lots of models, equations, derivations etc. Not a very scoring subject, and they did step the material up a notch this year.

I think from your advice and others on this forum plus the stats that people tend to do better in EC220 I might do the course. Plus I do well when an exam is predictable. How much stats is involved in EC220 and is it anything beyond what we currently do in ST107
Sigma
EC201... the LT experience is probably the best part of any course I've had thus far at LSE.

Haha. How come? What do you do?
Reply 9
Chrisateen
I think from your advice and others on this forum plus the stats that people tend to do better in EC220 I might do the course. Plus I do well when an exam is predictable. How much stats is involved in EC220 and is it anything beyond what we currently do in ST107

ST107, and preferably ST102, is a prerequisite. If you're not comfortable with stats this will be an absolute nightmare. Knowledge of ST102/107 will be taken for granted in EC220.

Sports Racer
Haha. How come? What do you do?

Econ. Great lecturer, some insightful models etc.
Sigma
ST107, and preferably ST102, is a prerequisite. If you're not comfortable with stats this will be an absolute nightmare. Knowledge of ST102/107 will be taken for granted in EC220.

Is there much in the way of maths/stats on EC201? I got MA&ST107.

Thanks.
Reply 11
I'd agree with sigma re the lent term for Ec201. Jonathan Leape is a much better lecturer than Margaret Bray, who's voice and manner of teaching makes everyone switch off. Although, with from an exam perspective, the material that is covered in MT is probably a lot easier - once you grasp the topics (admittedly, things didnt click for me until easter holiday), it becomes a monotonous application to the problems in the exam.

In terms of the maths required, EC201 requires the least maths out of the econ modules. However, you will still need some. Paticularly you must be competent with calculus, (mainly require first order and second order differentiation, including partial differentiation, and you must be extremely comfortable with algebra, especially indices.

A level maths will cover you, and then you might need to refresh a few things like chain rule e.t.c. I don't know anything about the other econ modules.

Hope I was helpful :smile:
Sigma

LSE notes for this course are actually pretty decent :smile: It's much more mathematically focussed than Soton's (unsurprisingly), and thus helps me understand better. Econometrics exam on monday... :frown:
Reply 13
Mustard-man
LSE notes for this course are actually pretty decent :smile: It's much more mathematically focussed than Soton's (unsurprisingly), and thus helps me understand better. Econometrics exam on monday... :frown:

Good luck with your exam :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending