The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Deadlifts

I've never seriously contemplated suicide. However, I have wondered what life would be like for everyone around me, if I did, after I'm gone and if people would care.

Same, never wanted/thought about it but wondered who would come to the funeral, what people thought, cared etc.
Reply 21
suicide is intrinsically a selfish act. does much more harm than it does good- it removes your pain and offloads it on others, and also gets rid of you at the same time. Bit silly really. I've thought about it, but reason has always prevailed.
I've thought about it, never tried though..
No, I've been depressed but I would never take my life. I only live once, once I die, that's it, I can't come back. I'd also feel abit selfish and ungrateful because people in places like Africa and Asia have it wayyyy worse than we do. They have been raped, abused, tortued, disowned, life's at risk daily... the list goes on...However you don't them killing themselves...hmm maybe it's mainly a western thing :dontknow:
Thought about it, yes.

My cure is to feel sorry for myself for a while, then I get a brew (Tea proves the existence of God, in a similar manner to the Babel Fish Clicky here).

The normally I feel better, if not, sleep'll solve it.
Yeah I have, it was a few years ago through a really tough time for me, I thought about it but I really don't know what stopped me going through with it. Although at the moment, life is going quite bad again :frown: its nowhere near where I was and I don't see suicide as an option now.

I'm quite surprised by the responses tbh, its much more common than when I once thought.
Reply 26
I'm surprised at how many people considered it. I understand that people get depressed , happens to everyone, but contemplating suicide is another level.
I would hate to know someone I knew felt this way.
To those who did consider it do you think anyone could have helped you change your mind, and how?
Original post by Gemma :)!
I suffer from anxiety attacks.. I can go for months (sometimes years) between "episodes", but then they'll arrive for a couple of days/weeks/months, and during that time I find it impossible to remember that it will get better and it will go away for ages before it comes back..

I have suicidal thoughts during the moments an anxiety attack takes hold. I think it's the body's "fight or flight" response, but I just feel as though I *HAVE* to get away from wherever I am at the time, but without really knowing where I "have" to get to.. and because of this I think that killing myself might be the only way to feel free of that awful feeling.

Luckily, the attacks themselves don't last long enough for me harm myself, and as soon as I'm "thinking straight" again, I can see that the majority of my life is completely happy and normal!

These aren't "anxiety attacks", they're bouts of depression. An anxiety attack doesn't last months. They might contain attacks of anxiety, but if it's lasting a prolonged amount of time it's a mental state/phase rather than a moment.
No, I've been depressed but I would never think of taking my life. I only live once, once I die, that's it, I can't come back. I'd also feel abit selfish and ungrateful because in places like Africa and Asia, people have it wayyy worse. People there have been raped, abused, tortued, disowned, their lifes at risk daily yet they don't go around killing themsleves...hmm maybe it's a western thing :dontknow:
Why end your life, when you can change it ?
Original post by OrdinaryDay
These aren't "anxiety attacks", they're bouts of depression. An anxiety attack doesn't last months. They might contain attacks of anxiety, but if it's lasting a prolonged amount of time it's a mental state/phase rather than a moment.

I don't mean the attack lasts for months- I guess I didn't explain properly. I get "clusters" of the attacks over a certain period of time, then they'll go away for a long time, then come back.

I'm certainly not depressed- between attacks I'm a perfectly happy, normal, individual.
Yes :cry2:
It started when i found out about my parents divorce and it got worse when my bf broke up with me last year and now it got worse again because of family problems. :cry:
But i never act on it, i just sleep or watch comedy movies, play sports or read something to help it a bit. But once im done doing those, i have to sleep or else i'll be crying.
Reply 32
xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
No. I sometimes feel like existence is just one futile, pointless journey and that everything is just a distraction from this but on the other hand, life is unique and you may as well take advantage of being here.

Original post by WrigglyMammoth
nice sob stories guys

Thats incredibly insensitive, not that you care because obviously being superior to a set of vulnerable people is the only time that you are able to put yourself above another.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Not seriously, I'd never be able to do a violent method and if I tried to OD and it failed, the aftermath would be awful in many ways. I don't think I could ever do it because I wouldn't want to put my family and friends through the mental torture that got me into that state of mind in the first place. Also, life has its lovely moments.
No, I can't say I have. I think its unfortunate and extraordinarily sad when somebody is in so much distress that they contemplate ending their life. I could never imagine doing so. Life is a gift. The chances of us even being here in the first place are next to nothing; and I'd like to make the most of it.
Reply 36
A billion times. I find myself weird in that I constantly have suicidal thoughts, but don't actually considered myself depressed or anything like that.

I'm strange I guess.
yes i have, i also have tried 2 :/ they sat that suicide is the lowest form of depression, week later after the attempt i was diagnosed with bipolar
Reply 38
I never realised how many people had actually considered suicide...Is human life just so miserable??
It's been on my mind for the last 4-5 weeks actually. My life right now is just...painful really. I'm not sure if I'd ever actually go through with it, I doubt I could knowing how it would make my family feel. I mean, I can't see things getting any better for me and I can't actually remember the last time I was happy so why should I keep going?

Latest

Trending

Trending