The Student Room Group

Stickers have been placed around London’s East End, declaring it a “gay-free zone”

The messages, posted on buildings and lampposts close to Shoreditch gay nightspots George & Dragon and the Joiners Inn, say “Arise and warn. Gay free zone. Verily Allah is severe in punishment.”

They have also been posted on Whitechapel High Street and outside a school.

Pictures of the stickers were sent in by a local resident, who said he tried to remove them.

He told PinkNews.co.uk: “Tower Hamlets council won praise from Stonewall for its LGBT friendliness, but these stickers are a warning that Islamist extremists in Tower Hamlets have not gone away from London’s streets.

“According to police figures, a homophobic crime is committed in Tower Hamlets at the rate of more than five a month.”

The resident suggested that they may have been posted by members of Islam4UK, which has been accused of being a front for the banned Al Mahajaroun Group.

Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell said: “There have been a series of homophobic threats and assaults by Asian youths on LGBT people in the East End over recent years.

“I’ve been attacked by Muslim youths three times in and around Brick Lane. In all three attacks, the assailants shouted religious slogans. My LGBT Muslim friends who live in the area are nervous and anxious. They fear attack and dare not reveal their sexuality.”

The East London Mosque, based in Whitechapel, and the Muslim Council of Britain did not respond to requests for comment.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/02/14/stickers-declare-gay-free-zone-in-east-london/

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Despicable, arrogant tossers. Who are they to decree an area free from anything? If they don't like homosexuality in their areas, GTFO of our country.
Reply 2
=/ I don't get their beef.
Original post by mikeyd85
Despicable, arrogant tossers. Who are they to decree an area free from anything? If they don't like homosexuality in their areas, GTFO of our country.

:facepalm2:

Firstly plenty of areas are 'free' of something. Nudity, smoking etc.

Also you seem to think their opinions are devalued somewhat by the fact that they may not be from Britain? In which case you are as bigoted as they are.

To the OP, there are homophobes everywhere, not just Muslims or Asians. In the East End there are high populations of both these groups. I am not defending them but I do not see why where they come from or what they believe makes a difference when it comes to homophobia.

Edit - People are such hypocrites, I bet everyone at sometime in their life has discriminated against someone, yet this group of people you want kicked out of the country, much like these people would do to gays; ironic, huh.

Edit2 - Can people neg repping me explain why I am so wrong?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
that's dumb. if you don't like it, don't like it by all means but they have no right to put up stuff like that. it's not even islamic, it's just stupid.
Original post by Zakky

Also you seem to think their opinions are devalued somewhat by the fact that they may not be from Britain? In which case you are as bigoted as they are.

To the OP, there are homophobes everywhere, not just Muslims or Asians. In the East End there are high populations of both these groups. I am not defending them but I do not see why where they come from or what they believe makes a difference when it comes to homophobia.

Edit - People are such hypocrites, I bet everyone at sometime in their life has discriminated against someone, yet this group of people you want kicked out of the country, much like these people would do to gays; ironic, huh.

I don't see how it is hypocritical to demand that people who come to live in this country should abide by its laws and respect its values.
Reply 6
Original post by Zakky

welcome to a world of double standards..i think they should just check the CCTVs and expose the fools who put these stickers up. is it even legal?
Original post by Zakky

Smoke free areas have been defined by our government, voted in by us, the people. Facepalm yourself. I couldn't care less where people are from, if you are going to go around behaving in that manner, get out of Britain, you're not welcome, simple.
Reply 8
Original post by DannyBoy123
I don't see how it is hypocritical to demand that people who come to live in this country should abide by its laws and respect its values.

it's not because they should, but i can see the irony at the same time. if idiot X is dumb enough to want a gay-free zone, people should be intelligent enough not to stoop down to the same level and say so-and-so people should be kicked out of the country. if it's against the law then find out who they are and deal with them the proper way, and that will send a message to anyone else who decides to put up retarded stickers like that
Reply 9
Original post by mikeyd85
Smoke free areas have been defined by our government, voted in by us, the people. Facepalm yourself. I couldn't care less where people are from, if you are going to go around behaving in that manner, get out of Britain, you're not welcome, simple.

but they won't get out of britain because they're dumb like that. if it's a crime then by all means deal with them the way criminals are dealt with. if it's not, then make it a crime. worst case scenario: expose them so they learn not to be so stupid in the future
Allah doesn't exist.
I found this in Mile end (East London, near to Whitechapel and Shoreditch) about 2 months ago:

What's EMQ 59:7?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Zakky

The old "don't hate the bully, hate the victim", eh?
Original post by farhaz_j
it's not because they should, but i can see the irony at the same time. if idiot X is dumb enough to want a gay-free zone, people should be intelligent enough not to stoop down to the same level and say so-and-so people should be kicked out of the country. if it's against the law then find out who they are and deal with them the proper way, and that will send a message to anyone else who decides to put up retarded stickers like that

I agree and I'm not suggesting we should kick them out of the country. My question is, if they feel so strongly about it, why not move somewhere where homosexuality is a crime and personal freedoms are restricted? To me, that is the ultimate hypocrisy - reaping the rewards that a free, liberal state brings them while at the same time systematically undermining the very values that make this country such a great place to live.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
I found this in Mile end (East London, near to Whitechapel and Shoreditch) about 2 months ago:

What's EMQ 59:7?

Ahahaha. I like how they've conveniently underlined exactly what I would have.

I also now realise why you're struggling to do your essay stuff. Get off TSR :goaway: :p:
Reply 15
I found this in Mile end about 2 months ago:

Oh I bet you laughed at that one, I know I did.

1) If you don't report a rape crime it does not mean it doesn't exist.
2) If you do report a rape crime but it occurred in marriage it does not mean by some strange redefinition of the term 'rape' that it doesn't exist.
3) If you do report a rape crime it does not automatically follow that it has been recorded.

The joy of data collection.
Original post by Philosoraptor
Ahahaha. I like how they've conveniently underlined exactly what I would have.

I also now realise why you're struggling to do your essay stuff. Get off TSR :goaway: :p:

Lol, I've done my essay, it's the presentation I'm ****ed with.

Anyway, it ain't rape if they're subhuman. :wink2:
Reply 17
Call me homophobic but I actually found that pretty funny.

Anyway, it ain't rape if they're subhuman. :wink2:

Or if you shout "SURPRISE!" :ninjagirl:
Islam is behind more public homophobia, who wodda known?!

Latest

Trending

Trending