The Student Room Group

Women martial artist vs Men

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Depends what martial art, since most of them are ****
Reply 41
I have this argument a lot - my gf who knows karate against me, who weighs 50% more. I'd just tackle her to the ground and outmuscle her. Even if she does gets a kick in i'm confident i could take one shot and still win.

If she knew some wrestling/judo stuff, on the other had, maybe she'd stand a chance.
Original post by silverbolt
main easily accessable weak spots on a human male

eyes
nose
throat
sternum
balls
knees
ankles

takes no great strength to damage and each one a deliberating move that will stop a grown man (even the big ones)

yes its perfectly possible

means absolutely nothing to someone who knows they are doing, more muscle does not eqate to better fighter, something "meat head body builders" as a rule tend to forget

Out of interest, what is your MA experience?
Original post by a_t

And from the picture, the female in question looks like a TKD practitioner.

Well, I guess she can spinning kick the guy in the balls, right?
Reply 44
Original post by Callum828
And from the picture, the female in question looks like a TKD practitioner.

Well, I guess she can spinning kick the guy in the balls, right?

lol tae kwon do, joke martial art, get them against a boxer and see what happens
Reply 45
Original post by a_t

Can be a good way of keeping fit - allowing you to run away quickly :biggrin:
Original post by a_t

Not entirely true - the problem is the way they are taught. So many people think that they can take two 45 minutes classes a week for three weeks and suddenly be Bruce Lee.

Those who live and breathe thier martial art doing it for hours a day every day, taught the hard way, observing strict diet and meditation as well as learning how to fight not just punch and kick - when a martial art is employed to that degree then its far from ****

Out of interest, what is your MA experience?

Three years Tae -kown-do to second dan, 1 year judo to black belt, thats going back a few years now

more recently an uncle who self taught himself self defense.

Original post by a_t
lol tae kwon do, joke martial art, get them against a boxer and see what happens

get said boxer up against a wrestler and see what happens when both end up grappling on the floor. Or said boxer against someone who knows and is able (always a big difference) to keep the boxer at bay where his power is uselss to him

the biggest flaw with many martial arts is that they require your opponent at a distance and that they can be quite rigid in thier workings, the flaw with boxing is that requires you to be up close and on your feet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
Not entirely true - the problem is the way they are taught. So many people think that they can take two 45 minutes classes a week for three weeks and suddenly be Bruce Lee.

Those who live and breathe thier martial art doing it for hours a day every day, taught the hard way, observing strict diet and meditation as well as learning how to fight not just punch and kick - when a martial art is employed to that degree then its far from ****

Three years Tae -kown-do to second dan, 1 year judo to black belt, thats going back a few years now

get said boxer up against a wrestler and see what happens when both end up grappling on the floor. Or said boxer against someone who knows and is able (always a big difference) to keep the boxer at bay where his power is uselss to him

the biggest flaw with many martial arts is that they require your opponent at a distance and that they can be quite rigid in thier workings, the flaw with boxing is that requires you to be up close and on your feet.

If you wanna fight though you're best off mixing a striking style and a grappling style

boxing, thai boxing, bjj and wrestling are king for this imo

full contact karate can be useful, but only full contact and not when you're doing useless **** like open palm strikes

Tae Kwon Do however... trying to kick someone above the waist is just moronic in most fights

I guess this is a key point. When I was at college, I was one of the stronger guys, 180lbs and can bench 90 kg. There was this ass in my history class, twitchy little guy, probably weighed under 10 stone, who was adamant he could kick my ass because he took martial arts classes. I eventually agreed to 'play' fight him so long as he stopped bugging me after. He tried flipping me over his back and started doing some high kicks, so I basically tackled him to the ground, got him in a chokehold and didn't let go untill he tapped out. The question is of course was he actually a competant martial artist, or just some small skinny kid with a big mouth?
Original post by pol pot noodles
I guess this is a key point. When I was at college, I was one of the stronger guys, 180lbs and can bench 90 kg. There was this ass in my history class, twitchy little guy, probably weighed under 10 stone, who was adamant he could kick my ass because he took martial arts classes. I eventually agreed to 'play' fight him so long as he stopped bugging me after. He tried flipping me over his back and started doing some high kicks, so I basically tackled him to the ground, got him in a chokehold and didn't let go untill he tapped out. The question is of course was he actually a competant martial artist, or just some small skinny kid with a big mouth?

Hard to tell - by tackling him and pinning him you took away his power base - reach and being upright which is the flaw in many martial arts especially things like Tae-kwon-do

but the fact that he tried to doing high kicks against a completely fresh opponent (and im guessing he missed or you blocked and there was no power to them) is that he was a small skinny kid with a big mouth

There's your problem, while Judo is awesome, TKD doesn't even remotely prepare you for actual fighting. Unless an MA is full-contact, it's pretty much worthless.

And that, no offence, kind of detracts from any arguments you make about martial effectiveness, specifically on how easy it is to take out someone bigger than you with 'pressure point' attacks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
playing mortal kombat doesn't count, tough guy.

i haven't even played mortal combat, i was actually attacked by a heavyset man once, defended myself and disabled him long enough to run
There's your problem, while Judo is awesome, TKD doesn't even remotely prepare you for actual fighting. Unless an MA is full-contact, it's pretty much worthless.

And that, no offence, kind of detracts from any arguments you make about martial effectiveness, specifically on how easy it is to take out someone bigger than you with 'pressure point' attacks.

i never said it did

and no it doesnt as i never said it came from my knowledge of TKD (however i did do full contact), i dont really know pressure points such as hitting nerve clusters and such i know next to nothing about aside from some of thier location. I certainly wouldnt attempt in a fight. And a well taught MA is not worthless it will teach you how to keep your feet, balance, discipline, restraint, cool headedness.

and i said weak points not pressure points that i learnt from my uncle more than TKD.
Reply 53
Yu all have no idea about martial arts. Its not the style its the practitioner Thread closed.
Reply 54
Original post by a_t

I know a third dan black belt in TKD who I have no doubt good beat up a boxer, even a good boxer. That said, I think you have to be as good as he is before TKD is worth anything to you in reality. There is not really any such thing as a mediocre kick, in as much as that if there is anything wrong with your kicks then your opponent has big chances to mess you up. However, if your kicks are strong, fast and technically correct every time it is no longer such a joke.
To be honest we all know that kick-boxing is the superior MA :rolleyes:
Dude, big guys are not all lumbering oafs.

And the 'tactics' you describe suggest that you've never actually trained any effective martial arts at all.

Big guys aren't oafs, I said they're slow, oafs are stupid. get it right.

Those weren't tactics muppet, have you ever been in a fight that was no holds barred? A neighbour of mine taught me this stuff years ago and he was a boxerand his trainer was a professional boxer for many years who got down and dirty a lot of the time with big guys on the docks at manchester and liverpool.

He is an ex prison warder of many years dealing with guys who tower over him by almost a foot and he is 6' 2". Experience beats your street fighter gameboy days and your martial arts classes, which I did for a fair few years alongside Mark Strange. A decent guy who could kick the **** out of anybody I may add but no way in hell will you face an opponent who will simply stand there and take a full-on kick to the stomach.

You also have very little knowledge about what I said as you would have agreed. You cannot train your neck, solar plexus and balls to take heavy hits, it is impossible.
Reply 57
Original post by pol pot noodles
Hey I was wondering if anyone out there is a woman martial artist, or knows one, and what your opinions are on television progammes like NCIS where Ziva David easily takes out multiple men that are taller and heavier than her. Do you think this is realistic or just Hollywood?
Not just women, but in general do you think a 140lb martial artist could take out say a 240lb man-mountain who has no fight training?

Well yes and no. If a woman is a great martial artist then she will have an advantage over a guy of similar size possibly a bit bigger. But if she is rougly 5ft5, 9st and the guy is roughly 16st 6ft2, then i'd put my money on the guy. Then again if she lands a good punch, she could knock him out.

You've also got to take into account the environment. A street fight is not the same as a martial arts fight or boxing/kickboxing match. There are no rules.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by py0alb
We're talking about this:

against this:

and you are honestly telling me you think the girl would win? :lolwut:

Lol chabal isn't a normal large male, he is a god, like zeus and hercules.
God this thread is annoying.

Getting punched in the face ****ing hurts, your ability to take a punch depends on you and the person doing the punching. If you get hit in the head with enough force or in a manner which causes the brain to bounce inside your skull you will get knocked out, certain things that can make this less likely to happen for instance stronger neck muscles but there is no style of fighting which will make you impervious to the impact of a punch so all of this:

"I know a wrestler who can beat any boxer"

Is just horse ****, complete and utter unadulterated horse ****.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest