The Student Room Group

STEP II 2011 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Generic.Username
Really grasping at straws but do you think I could have just got a 2?

I completed q1 fully and from the discussion my answer seems to have no errors I am aware of. Then completed the whole of the first part of 2 but could only find 1 solution instead of 2 to the second half. Then did question 3 up until c where I managed to show it was increasing but not the inequality. I tried IBP on 6 with but this lead nowhere as I used the wrong u and v so I doubt I'll get any for this and then the very very first part of 4.

I think this is probably a 3 but it's so annoying as I did so much prep for it but just couldn't get started on a lot of the pure. I've never needed to do mechanics before after getting 4/5 pure so didn't think of even looking. Kicking myself in hindsight :frown:

Sounds on the better side of similar to what I did, and people have even said that it might be enough for a 1. Definitely should be a 2 I think, though.
Original post by Zuzuzu
Sounds on the better side of similar to what I did, and people have even said that it might be enough for a 1. Definitely should be a 2 I think, though.

I'd be interested in how many marks 3 is up til that part that most people seemed to get stuck on. I really didn't very far into 4 or 6 though. I'd be surprised at 3 marks between them :tongue:
I'd guess at 35-40 marks but from even the lowest of previous years it doesn't look too hopeful. Hopefully we'll both get what we want though!
Reply 382
Original post by Generic.Username
Really grasping at straws but do you think I could have just got a 2?

I completed q1 fully and from the discussion my answer seems to have no errors I am aware of. Then completed the whole of the first part of 2 but could only find 1 solution instead of 2 to the second half. Then did question 3 up until c where I managed to show it was increasing but not the inequality. I tried IBP on 6 with but this lead nowhere as I used the wrong u and v so I doubt I'll get any for this and then the very very first part of 4.

I think this is probably a 3 but it's so annoying as I did so much prep for it but just couldn't get started on a lot of the pure. I've never needed to do mechanics before after getting 4/5 pure so didn't think of even looking. Kicking myself in hindsight :frown:

Original post by Zuzuzu

Sounds on the better side or similar to what I did. Also.

Seriously that is enough for a 1?!?!?!?! (or even a 2!)
These are the complete solutions to Q1,Q2,Q6
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mikelbird
These are the complete solutions to Q1,Q2,Q6

Your solution to Q6 has a fair few mistakes in it.

When you were asked to verify the integral in the case f(x)=tanx, you're not supposed to take n=1 and show it holds. You're supposed to show that it holds for all n.

Also, your part (ii) is completely wrong other than the derivatives you found at the start. It is the case of the original integral with f(x)=secx+tanx and n=4, rather than n=6 as you've seemed to take it. (see back to my solution on page 2 if you don't see what you're missing).

I haven't checked the others yet.
(edited 12 years ago)
What do you think the chances are of a 2 in STEP II being accepted instead of a 1 in STEP I?
Reply 386
FML I just realised I chose the wrong root in question 1. How many marks do you think I would lose...? How could I do that? Howwww ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Reply 387
Original post by hello dave
What do you think the chances are of a 2 in STEP II being accepted instead of a 1 in STEP I?

What uni?
Original post by soczek322
What uni?

Engineering at Cambridge
Reply 389
Original post by hello dave
Engineering at Cambridge

no clue... sorry
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Your solution to Q6 has a fair few mistakes in it.

When you were asked to verify the integral in the case f(x)=tanx, you're not supposed to take n=1 and show it holds. You're supposed to show that it holds for all n.

Also, your part (ii) is completely wrong other than the derivatives you found at the start. It is the case of the original integral with f(x)=secx+tanx and n=4, rather than n=6 as you've seemed to take it. (see back to my solution on page 2 if you don't see what you're missing).

I haven't checked the others yet.

Points taken...done in a hurry...thanks!
Solution to Q4
Solution to Q3...i think others have reached the same solution....
Solution to Q3...i think others have reached the same solution....

Yep got that, did the last bit differently though, but hope I got the marks :biggrin: I think for 3, I got 17/20 :biggrin:
Solution to Q5...oops..slight correction
(edited 12 years ago)
Solution to Q7ooops again a slight correction...
(edited 12 years ago)
Solution to Q8 (corrected)

See also entry 51 on page 3 of:-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32606333#post32606333
(edited 12 years ago)
PLease let me know of any mistakes...I am sure there must be some....
Solution to Q8

This is a very good method (I did it like this) but you have made a few mistakes, which is hardly surprising given the number of times you have to integrate by parts.
I think your first integral is fine, but your second one goes wrong in one key place. After splitting your integral into two parts I think you miss out the minus sign when you summarise your result. So you should get the second area to be π4π348\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{\pi^3}{48}

Also you seem to subtract π\pi at the end to deal with the semi-circle that the string does not pass through, but this should be π2\frac{\pi}{2} giving the more satisfying looking answer of π36\frac{\pi^3}{6}
You are perfectly correct...a silly arithmetical mistake...thank you for pointing it out and I have now corrected it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending