The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
We have an accounting department now?
Reply 21
i'm in a similar position as the OP.
do i go to imperial to do maths and management or to city university to do actuarial science?
city uni is well-known for actuarial science, but the university is generally looked down upon.
imperial obviously has an excellent reputation but doing a maths course will not help me become an actuary straight away.
the fact both require AAA does not help either!!
ARGH!
how on earth do you choose?
Reply 22
I've kinda been wondering about this.. because I'd like to do International Politics at Aberystwyth, and that department is well regarded.. but then, Aberystwyth is not so good overall and.. in Wales :frown:
Reply 23
I'm in a similar position - whether to go to Cambridge for Oriental studies next year or SOAS this year, whose speciality is Asian studies. Gather as much information as you can about reputation, job opportunities, nature of the course and its relation to future career, and if the choice is fairly equal, go for the place that feels better, where you will flourish the most.
Reply 24
SOAS kicks a million arses for anything to do with east asian studies.
arkbar
SOAS kicks a million arses for anything to do with east asian studies.

it all depends on how much each student ends up knowing where he/she is applying......i think it is like buying a box in a box....the outer box being the university overall…then the inside box...the department...how it is rated or how many years it has been out there teaching that subject....and how it stacks up with others....in the same subject/area.....i have no doubt at all that .....this box in a box ...is ultimately a two pronged judgment..:smile:
Both, but general university rep more
definitely the reputation of the department...the uni i go to doesn't have the same reputation as say the University of Manchester, but the school of nursing here has an excellent reputation, and, so i'm led to believe it's the biggest/best in Greater Manchester, hence why i study here.
Reply 28
the times website for the 100 top universities seems to be down-anywhere else i can get this information?
Reply 29
Chucking darts at a list of Universities would seem to be reasonably similar.
Students are in general looking for the "rankings".....however.....if thought out of the box......how many of us revaluate our credentials and personal achievement before even starting to rank the universities themselves...:smile:
It's funny because me and my friend has this argument. He's in a good situation where he is studying for 3 A Level's and already has an A.S. I on the other hand dropped a 4th subject last year and flunked Psychology, so it meant I only had 2 A Levels and had to take up an A.S. this year.

Anyway, I think it's called "St Mary's College" or something like that and I looked at it, but the UCAS points were shockingly low for my subject. I'm aiming for the lower points anyway because of the status I'm in, but I told him he shouldn't be applying to lower universities because he'll have more then enough to get into better ones. However, he pointed out while the Film course obviously didn't have a good reputation, his English one did.

It confuses me overall, but I have this biased to apply for Universities that haven't got the word "College" in them (only one of the Universities I'm applying to has).
Reply 32
teenage-monkey, you are aware one of the Unis you applied to had 'polytechnic' in the title since its inception and up until a few months ago?
Yes, I am very aware of that - APU.
Im at London Metropolitan - which currently does not have a good repution. However, it was one of VERY few unis that did a degree like the one im studying - esp in London. My degree is in the Business department - which does have an excellent rep....

so id say department.

Latest