The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by Mladenov
You are right, the points, at which the partial derivatives fail to exist, are good candidates for extremums. Yet, this does not help us at all.
I tried several methods to prove your inequalities, including some brute-force techniques such as Lagrange Multipliers, but nothing works. Also, when a=1,b=7,c=8a=1,b=7,c=8, we have f(1,7,8)<32=f(1,1,1)f(1,7,8)< \frac{3}{2} = f(1,1,1). Hence f(a,b,c)32af(a,b,c) \ge \frac{3}{2a} for all a,b,c>0a,b,c > 0 is clearly not true. I have not tried f(a,b,c)32cf(a,b,c) \ge \frac{3}{2c}, but even if it is true, then you have to prove that RHS32cRHS \le \frac{3}{2c} is order your solution to work.

The problem is that you are doing the following:
Say you have correctly proven that for each xSx \in S, f(x)g(x)f(x) \ge g(x). Then, you are claiming that f(x)max(g(x)xS)f(x) \ge \max(g(x)_{x\in S}), which is generally not true.

Spoiler

Ah hmm that's what I feared, thanks for pointing that out.
Precisely. There is a solution using exactly these two inequalities.

I suspected this was the solution you would have been after but found it difficult to arrange the terms in useful sets. Non the less, I shall persist!
Reply 561
Solution 73

I assume n3n \ge 3. Let SS be a finite multi-set of nn positive integers. If all elements of SS are greater than 11, we know that the product of all the elements of SS is greater than or equal to their sum.
Suppose that we have solution with exactly kk components greater than 11. Thus the remaining nkn-k components are equal to 11. Now, the sum of the elements, which are greater than 11, is less than or equal to the product; the sum of the nkn-k 11's is less than or equal to n1n-1. It follows that k=1k=1.
As we are counting ordered sets, we have n(m1)+1n(m-1)+1 solutions in positive integers.
The number of non-negative integer solutions of the equation x1+..+xn1=n1x_{1}+..+x_{n-1} = n-1 is (2n3n1)\dbinom{2n-3}{n-1}. Hence, the number of solutions in non-negative integers is 2(2n3n1)+n(m1)+12\dbinom{2n-3}{n-1}+n(m-1)+1.

Problem 74 hint:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 562
Solution 73

I assume n3n \ge 3. Let SS be a finite multi-set of nn positive integers. If all elements of SS are greater than 11, we know that the product of all the elements of SS is greater than or equal than their sum.
Suppose that we have solution with exactly kk components greater than 11. Thus the remaining nkn-k components are equal to 11. Now, the sum of the elements, which are greater than 11, is less than or equal to the product; the sum of the nkn-k 11's is less than or equal to n1n-1. It follows that k=1k=1.
As we are counting ordered sets, we have n(m1)+1n(m-1)+1 solutions in positive integers.
The number of non-negative integer solutions of the equation x1+..+xn1=n1x_{1}+..+x_{n-1} = n-1 is (2n3n1)\dbinom{2n-3}{n-1}. Hence, the number of solutions in non-negative integers is 2(2n3n1)+n(m1)+12\dbinom{2n-3}{n-1}+n(m-1)+1.

Just when I thought no-one was interested. Exactly what I had in mind, nicely done! :smile:
Btw, I'm making some progress with your problem now using

Spoiler

which I wasn't familiar with until now (hopefully just a few algebraic tricks away from solution!)
Solution 61

Assume ff continuous (perhaps this was not necessary).

Let P=(0,1),  Q=(1,)\mathcal{P}=(0,1),\;\mathcal{Q}=(1,\infty), noting that f(1)=1f(1)=1. If f(s)=1f(s)=1 for some sPs\in\mathcal{P}, then for all y,  f(sy)=1f(r)=1y,\;f(s^y)=1 \Rightarrow f(r)=1 over P\mathcal{P}. However, then for yP:  f(xy)=f(x)f=Cy\in \mathcal{P}:\;f(x^y)=f(x) \Rightarrow f=\mathcal{C}, and hence f=1f=1 over R+\mathbb{R}^+. Similarly if f(s)=1f(s)=1 for some sQs\in\mathcal{Q} then f=1f=1 over R+\mathbb{R}^+. In a similar vein, suppose there exist distinct x0,y0Px_0,y_0\in \mathcal{P} such that f(x0)=f(y0)1f(x_0)=f(y_0)\neq 1 then f(x0)f(r)=f(y0)f(r)f(x0r)=f(y0r)f(x_0)^{f(r)}=f(y_0)^{f(r)} \Rightarrow f(x_0^r)=f(y_0^r) which implies f(x)=Cf(x)=\mathcal{C} and since C=CCC=±1\mathcal{C}=\mathcal{C}^{ \mathcal{C}}\Rightarrow \mathcal{C}=\pm 1 we have f=1f=1 over P\mathcal{P}, which, as previously demonstrated, implies f=1f=1 over R+\mathbb{R}^+. Similarly for the case x0,x1Qx_0,x_1\in\mathcal{Q}. Hence if ff is not injective it is 11 everywhere.

Naturally, we now assume ff is injective. Observe that f(zyx)=f(z)f(y)f(x)f(zyn)=f(z)f(y)f(n)f(z^{y^x})=f( z)^{f(y)^{f(x)}}\Rightarrow f(z^{y^n})=f( z)^{f(y)^{f(n)}} but also that inductively, we have f(zyn)=f(z)f(y)nf(z^{y^n})=f(z)^{f(y)^n}. Combining these facts, f(n)=nf(n)=n for positive integers nn. Hence we have f(xn)=f(x)nf(x^n)=f(x)^n. Now suppose that f(x)>xf(x)>x over (a,b)Q,(a,b)\subset\mathcal{Q}, then by the preceding statement, f(xn)>xnf(x^n)>x^n over (an,bn)(a^n,b^n) and hence the inequality is satisfied over arbitrarily large intervals, which contradicts f(n)=nf(n)=n. Similarly if f(x)<xf(x)<x over any subinterval of Q\mathcal{Q}. Hence we must have f(x)=xf(x)=x over Q\mathcal{Q}. Now assuming f(x)>xf(x)>x over P\mathcal{P}, our preceding proposition would imply that for yQy\in\mathcal{Q} and xP:  yx=f(yx)<f(y)f(x)=f(yx)x\in\mathcal{P}:\; y^x=f(y^x)<f(y)^{f(x)}=f(y^x) which is absurd. Similarly if f(x)<xf(x)<x over P\mathcal{P}. Hence f(x)=xf(x)=x over P\mathcal{P} as well.

Therefore f(x)=1f(x)=1 or f(x)=x.f(x)=x.
Reply 564
Original post by Lord of the Flies

Splendid solution. :tongue:
You are not using continuity, so it is not necessary.

Another approach:

Spoiler

Reply 565
(Still can't do problem 74 (fml!) so thought "if you can't beat them, join them")

Problem 75

Show that 1b(a+b)+1c(b+c)+1a(c+a)32 \frac{1}{b(a+b)} + \frac{1}{c(b+c)} + \frac{1}{a(c+a)} \geq \frac{3}{2} for positive real numbers a,b,c such that abc=1 abc=1 .
Reply 566
Solution 75

Let a=xy\displaystyle a=\frac{x}{y}, b=yz\displaystyle b=\frac{y}{z}, c=zx\displaystyle c=\frac{z}{x}.

We have 1b(a+b)+1c(b+c)+1a(c+a)=cycx4x3y+z2x2(x2+y2+z2)2cycx3y+cycx2y2\displaystyle \frac{1}{b(a+b)}+\frac{1}{c(b+c)}+\frac{1}{a(c+a)} = \sum_{cyc} \frac{x^{4}}{x^{3}y+z^{2}x^{2}} \ge \frac{(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2})^{2}}{ \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y + \sum_{cyc} x^{2}y^{2}}.
Since 2(x2+y2+z2)2=2cycx4+4cycx2y2\displaystyle 2(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2})^{2} = 2\sum_{cyc} x^{4}+ 4\sum_{cyc} x^{2}y^{2}, from
cycx4cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y (AM-GM), and
cyc(x4+x2y2)cyc2x3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} (x^{4}+x^{2}y^{2}) \ge \sum_{cyc} 2x^{3}y (obvious), we obtain
(x2+y2+z2)2cycx3y+cycx2y232\displaystyle \frac{(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2})^{2}}{ \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y + \sum_{cyc} x^{2}y^{2}} \ge \frac{3}{2}

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
This may be a silly question but does anybody like geometry?? Even Mladenov who appears to be a maths genius dislikes it :s-smilie:

Geometry is wonderful, if you can do it :tongue:
Geometry is also taught extremely badly in most countries.
Reply 568

cycx4cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y (AM-GM), and
cyc(x4+x2y2)cyc2x3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} (x^{4}+x^{2}y^{2}) \ge \sum_{cyc} 2x^{3}y (obvious)

I was wondering if you'd use homogenisation! :smile:
But could you please explain how you have used AM-GM in the first of the two inequalities?
And why is the second inequality obvious? It rests on cyc(x2y2)cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} (x^{2}y^{2}) \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y and combination with the first result.

(sorry If this is actually obvious to you, but I don't find it to be so!)

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
Geometry is wonderful, if you can do it :tongue:
Geometry is also taught extremely badly in most countries.

In Chinese high schools you are taught geometry endlessly, in exchange you don't learn things like integration (even basic integrals). That might perhaps be because China has a strong tradition of gearing school pupils towards the IMO and similar national-level contests, for which learning geometry instead of integration is perfectly justified.
Reply 570
Such a shame this thread is becoming a bit stagnant! All we need is 24 more problems before we can whip out the jay-z jokes!

A problem people may recognise:

Problem 76*/**

For positive real numbers a,b,c, prove that

(a2+b2)2(a+b+c)(a+bc)(b+ca)(c+ab) \displaystyle(a^2+b^2)^2 \geq (a+b+c)(a+b-c)(b+c-a)(c+a-b)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 571
And another...

Problem 77*

Long John Silverman has captured a treasure map from AdamMcBones.
Adam has buried the treasure at the point (x,y) with integer co-ordinates (not necessarily positive).
He has indicated on themap the values of x2+yx^2 + y and x+y2x+y^2, and these numbers are distinct.

Prove that Long John has to dig only in one place to find the treasure.
(edited 10 years ago)
Splendid solution. :tongue:
You are not using continuity, so it is not necessary.

Another approach:

Spoiler

Ha! I did not think of extracting Cauchy from it, très bien! I mentioned continuity as a safety net in case I had overlooked something at that time of night :biggrin:

I should really be working, mais bon.

Solution 52

Note that since (an,an1)(an1,an2)an+1=an1[1+(an1,an2)]+an2(a_n,a_{n-1})(a_{n-1},a_{n-2})a_{n+1}=a_{n-1}\big[1+(a_{n-1},a_{n-2})\big]+a_{n-2} we have (an,an1)an2(a_{n},a_{n-1})|a_{n-2} which then implies (an,an1)(an1,an2)(a_{n},a_{n-1})|(a_{n-1},a_{n-2}) and inductively (an,an1)(am,am1)(a_n,a_{n-1})|(a_m,a_{m-1}) for any mnm\leq n. Hence there must be some n0n_0 such that nn0(an,an1)=Dn\geq n_0\Rightarrow (a_{n},a_{n-1})=\mathcal{D}. Then clearly for all nn0n\geq n_0 we must have an=Dqna_n=\mathcal{D} q_n where (qi,qj)=1(q_i,q_j)=1 for any i,jn0i,j\geq n_0. But since (an)(a_n) is bounded (qn)(q_n) is bounded as well, and hence we require qnN=1q_{n\geq N}=1 for some Nn0N\geq n_0. Thus anN=Da_{n\geq N}=\mathcal{D}, which, if plugged into the definition of (an)(a_n) immediately gives anN=2a_{n\geq N}=2. Now we work backwards to show that all preceding terms are also 22. Obviously (aN,aN1){1,2}(a_N,a_{N-1})\in \{1,2\}, and given that 2(aN,aN1)=2+aN12(a_N,a_{N-1})=2+a_{N-1} we clearly cannot have (aN,aN1)=1(a_N,a_{N-1})=1 and hence it follows that aN1=2a_{N-1}=2 etc. down to a1=2a_1=2.

Therefore the only possible sequence is an=2,  na_n=2,\;\forall n.

Original post by Jkn

But could you please explain how you have used AM-GM in the first of the two inequalities?
And why is the second inequality obvious?

The first: rearrangement ineq. for (wlog) xyzx\geq y\geq z and x3y3z3x^3\geq y^3\geq z^3. The second is just cycx2(xy)20\displaystyle \sum_{\text{cyc}}x^2(x-y)^2\geq 0
By the way, in Problem 75, notice that by plugging in a couple coefficients into the inequality and taking the exact same approach as in Mladenov's solution we can easily generalise the result:

a,b,c1b(aλ+bμ)(x2+y2+z2)2(λcycx3y+μcycx2y2)1\displaystyle \sum_{a,b,c}\frac{1}{b(a\lambda+b\mu)} \geq\Big( x^2+y^2+z^2\Big)^2 \left(\lambda \sum_{\text{cyc}}x^3y+\mu \sum_{\text{cyc}}x^2y^2\right)^{-1}

Then using the same tricks to show that λ(x2+y2+z2)23λcycx3y\displaystyle \lambda(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2\geq 3\lambda\sum_{\text{cyc}}x^3y and μ(x2+y2+z2)23μcycx2y2\displaystyle \mu(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2\geq 3\mu\sum_{\text{cyc}}x^2y^2 we get:
1b(aλ+bμ)+1c(bλ+cμ)+1a(cλ+aμ)3λ+μ\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{b(a\lambda+b\mu)}+ \dfrac{1}{c(b\lambda+c\mu)}+ \dfrac{1}{a(c\lambda+a\mu)}\geq \dfrac{3}{\lambda+\mu}

For those how dislike inequalities with a passion:

Problem 78 (a classic!)

Evaluate 1+21+31+4\sqrt{1+2\sqrt{1+3\sqrt{1+4\sqrt{\cdots}}}}

Problem 79

This is lolz-maths, but whatever. Let's see who can do it the fastest!

If f(x)=6x7ex2sin2(x1000)f(x)=6x^7e^{x^2}\sin^2 (x^{1000}) find f(2013)(0)f(2012)(0)f^{(2013)}(0)-f^{(2012)}(0)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 573
Original post by Jkn
And another...

Problem 77*

Long John Silverman has captured a treasure map from AdamMcBones.
Adam has buried the treasure at the point (x,y) with integer co-ordinates (not necessarily positive).
He has indicated on themap the values of x2+yx^2 + y and x+y2x+y^2, and these numbers are distinct.

Prove that Long John has to dig only in one place to find the treasure.

I've done this before so will give someone else a try before I post but that is a very nice question.
Reply 574

Problem 79

This is lolz-maths, but whatever. Let's see who can do it the fastest!

If f(x)=6x7ex2sin2(x1000)f(x)=6x^7e^{x^2}\sin^2 (x^{1000}) find f(2013)(0)f(2012)(0)f^{(2013)}(0)-f^{(2012)}(0)

Does f^(n) mean the nth derivative or f applied n times. I think its the former but if its the latter than answer is 0.
Original post by james22
Does f^(n) mean the nth derivative or f applied n times. I think its the former but if its the latter than answer is 0.

Yes, nth derivative.
Reply 576
Original post by Jkn

AM-GM - cycx4cycx2y2\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{2}y^{2} and cyc(x4+x2y2)2cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} (x^{4}+x^{2}y^{2}) \ge 2\sum_{cyc} x^{3}y, imply cycx4cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y.
Problem 74 hint

Spoiler

Solution 52...

C'est ça!

Solution 76

We can suppose a+bc>0a+b-c > 0, a+cb>0a+c-b >0, and b+ca>0b+c-a >0. AM-GM and C-S yield (a+bc)2(a+cb)(b+ca)(2a+2b)444<(a2+b2)2(a+b-c)^{2}(a+c-b)(b+c-a) \le \frac{(2a+2b)^{4}}{4^{4}} < (a^{2}+b^{2})^{2}.
There are two possibilities: either my solution is totally wrong, or this is too weak inequality.

Solution 77

Suppose for the sake of contradiction that there are four distinct integers a,b,c,da,b,c,d such that
a2+b=c2+da^{2}+b=c^{2}+d;
a+b2=c+d2a+b^{2}=c+d^{2}.
(ac)(a+c)=db(a-c)(a+c)=d-b, ac=d2b2a-c=d^{2}-b^{2}. Thus, a+c=d+b=±1a+c=d+b= \pm1. The case 1-1 implies c=1ac=-1-a, d=1bd=-1-b. So, a2+b=c2+d=1+2a+a21ba^{2}+b=c^{2}+d= 1+2a+a^{2}-1-b, a=ba=b-contradiction. Let a+c=b+d=1a+c=b+d=1. We then have ac=dba-c=d-b and therefore a=da=d, b=cb=c. Consequently, a2+b=d2+c=a+b2a^{2}+b=d^{2}+c=a+b^{2}-contradiction. Hence our person (I do not remember his name :biggrin:) has to dig in only one place.

Solution 78

Define f(x)=1+xf(x+1)f(x)=\sqrt{1+xf(x+1)}. It is quite well-known that f(x)=x+1f(x)=x+1. Hence 1+21+31+4=3\sqrt{1+2\sqrt{1+3\sqrt{1+4\sqrt {\cdots}}}}=3.
There are several ways to solve this functional equation. We can bound ff above and below; or we can introduce the function g(m,n)=1+(m1)g(m+1,n)g(m,n) = \sqrt{1+(m-1)g(m+1,n)} and our expression is limng(3,n)\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} g(3,n); finally, we can consider the general equation f(x)=(g(x)+xαf(x+a))1β\displaystyle f(x) = (g(x)+x^{\alpha}f(x+a))^{\frac{1}{\beta}}, where x,a,α0x,a, \alpha \ge 0, β>1\beta >1, and g:R+0R+0g : \mathbb{R^{+}} \cup 0 \to \mathbb{R^{+}} \cup 0, infg>0\inf g > 0, and solve it iteratively.
Reply 577

Problem 75
, notice that by plugging in a couple coefficients into the inequality and taking the exact same approach as in Mladenov's solution we can easily generalise the result:

a,b,c1b(aλ+bμ)(x2+y2+z2)2(λcycx3y+μcycx2y2)1\displaystyle \sum_{a,b,c}\frac{1}{b(a\lambda+b\mu)} \geq\Big( x^2+y^2+z^2\Big)^2 \left(\lambda \sum_{\text{cyc}}x^3y+\mu \sum_{\text{cyc}}x^2y^2\right)^{-1}

Then using the same tricks to show that λ(x2+y2+z2)23λcycx3y\displaystyle \lambda(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2\geq 3\lambda\sum_{\text{cyc}}x^3y and μ(x2+y2+z2)23μcycx2y2\displaystyle \mu(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2\geq 3\mu\sum_{\text{cyc}}x^2y^2 we get:
1b(aλ+bμ)+1c(bλ+cμ)+1a(cλ+aμ)3λ+μ\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{b(a\lambda+b\mu)}+ \dfrac{1}{c(b\lambda+c\mu)}+ \dfrac{1}{a(c\lambda+a\mu)}\geq \dfrac{3}{\lambda+\mu}

I could see how it could be come my rearrangement, just have no idea how it could've come from AM-GM (Directly at least)! Ah it really is obvious now that you put it like that, cheers!

Holy crap, what an insight! The result looks so much more beautiful that way :smile:

Problem 78 (a classic!)

Evaluate 1+21+31+4\sqrt{1+2\sqrt{1+3\sqrt{1+4\sqrt{\cdots}}}}

Love this question! :biggrin: Kind of makes me wish I was born 100 years ago so I could've send a solution off to the magazine! (Ramanujan had to publish the solution himself I think. Deriving it from the more generalised version)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 578
AM-GM - cycx4cycx2y2\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{2}y^{2} and cyc(x4+x2y2)2cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} (x^{4}+x^{2}y^{2}) \ge 2\sum_{cyc} x^{3}y, imply cycx4cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y.

But your solution says cycx4cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y by AM-GM[QUOTE]. Can I assume you meant x^2y^2?

Problem 74 hint

Spoiler

ahhhhhh!

C'est ça!

Solution 76

We can suppose a+bc>0a+b-c > 0, a+cb>0a+c-b >0, and b+ca>0b+c-a >0. AM-GM and C-S yield (a+bc)2(a+cb)(b+ca)(2a+2b)444<(a2+b2)2(a+b-c)^{2}(a+c-b)(b+c-a) \le \frac{(2a+2b)^{4}}{4^{4}} < (a^{2}+b^{2})^{2}.
There are two possibilities: either my solution is totally wrong, or this is too weak inequality.

I'm not quite sure how you got rid of the c using Am-Gm! In any case observing the behaviour of the inequality as c approaches infinity is sufficient is disproving the inequality. Your mistake, of course, being that a+bc>0 a+b-c>0 is not valid! I'm sure you simply skimmed over it thinking you need to apply AM-GM and C-S, but I think this question is more about dealing with the "c" and

Spoiler

than anything else (though you may find a different solution to me!) :smile:
Solution 78

Define f(x)=1+xf(x+1)f(x)=\sqrt{1+xf(x+1)}. It is quite well-known that f(x)=x+1f(x)=x+1. Hence 1+21+31+4=3\sqrt{1+2\sqrt{1+3\sqrt{1+4\sqrt {\cdots}}}}=3.
There are several ways to solve this functional equation. We can bound ff above and below; or we can introduce the function g(m,n)=1+(m1)g(m+1,n)g(m,n) = \sqrt{1+(m-1)g(m+1,n)} and our expression is limng(3,n)\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} g(3,n); finally, we can consider the general equation f(x)=(g(x)+xαf(x+a))1β\displaystyle f(x) = (g(x)+x^{\alpha}f(x+a))^{\frac{1}{\beta}}, where x,a,α0x,a, \alpha \ge 0, β>1\beta >1, and g:R+0R+0g : \mathbb{R^{+}} \cup 0 \to \mathbb{R^{+}} \cup 0, infg>0\inf g > 0, and solve it iteratively.

Dayyyyyum son you post fast!
Reply 579
Original post by Jkn
But your solution says cycx4cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y by AM-GM. Can I assume you meant x^2y^2?

Nope, I meant x3yx^{3}y. From AM-GM we have cycx4cycx2y2\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{2}y^{2} and cyc(x4+x2y2)2cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} (x^{4}+x^{2}y^{2}) \ge 2\sum_{cyc} x^{3}y, the second is also trivially true, and hence cycx4cycx3y\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x^{4} \ge \sum_{cyc} x^{3}y. It is a consequence of AM-GM, yet not a direct result.

Problem 76 is wrong in this form (I thought ca+bc \le a+b).

Edit: We have to bound cc; I can try to find the best possible cc.

Solution 79

As x0x\to 0, from Taylor's series we have sin(x)=x+O(x3)\sin (x) = x+\mathcal{O}(x^{3}), ex=1+x+12x+16x3+O(x4)e^{x}=1+x+\frac{1}{2}x+\frac{1}{6}x^{3}+ \mathcal{O}(x^{4}).
Thus, 6x7ex2sin(x1000)=6x7(x1000+O(x2000))2(1+x2+12x4+16x6+O(x8))6x^{7}e^{x^{2}}\sin (x^{1000})= 6x^{7}(x^{1000}+\mathcal{O}(x^{2000}))^{2}(1+x^{2}+\frac{1}{2}x^{4}+\frac{1}{6}x^{6}+\mathcal{O}(x^{8})).
Hence f(2013)(0)f(2012)(0)=2013!f^{(2013)}(0)-f^{(2012)}(0)= 2013!

Problem 80

Let (an)n1(a_{n})_{n\ge1} be an increasing sequence of positive integers. Suppose also that limnann=0\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{n}=0. Then, the sequence bn=nan\displaystyle b_{n} = \frac{n}{a_{n}} contains all positive integers.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest