The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by Zephyr1011

Solution 88

Assume that ak5a_k\geq5. Then ak23a_k-2\geq3, and so a different combination of integers, where aka_k is replaced with ak2a_k-2 and 22, will have a greater product as 2(ak2)=(ak2)+(ak2)>(ak2)+2=ak2(a_k-2)=(a_k-2)+(a_k-2)>(a_k-2)+2=a_k. Therefore ak<5  ka_k<5 \;\forall k

Nice and rigorous :biggrin:

If ak=4a_k=4, this is equivalent to a combination where aka_k is replaced with 2 2s, as they have the same product and sum. So, WLOG, there must be an optimal combination with ak<4  ka_k<4\;\forall k. Clearly if ak=1a_k=1, a combination where another number was instead increased by 1 would have a greater product, therefore ak1a_k\neq1. Therefore ak=2a_k=2 or 33. If there are 3 or more terms which are 2, then a combination where there are 2 3s, instead of 3 of those 2s, there will be a greater product as 2+2+2=3+32+2+2=3+3 and 23<322^3<3^2. Therefore the optimal combination will have only 3s and 2s, and at most 2 2s.

Therefore, if N=0(mod3)N=0 \pmod{3}, P(N)=3N3P(N)=3^{\frac{N}{3}}, if N=1(mod3)N=1 \pmod{3}, P(N)=43N43P(N)=4\cdot3^{\frac{N-4}{3}} and if N=2(mod3)N=2 \pmod{3}, P(N)=23N23P(N)=2\cdot3^{\frac{N-2}{3}}

You've used the same method as mladenov, but I do find that the answer, when written in modular arithmetic form, is more aesthetically pleasing.

Do share some problems! :smile:
Original post by Jkn
You've used the same method as mladenov, but I do find that the answer, when written in modular arithmetic form, is more aesthetically pleasing.

Do share some problems! :smile:

Oh, sorry, I hadn't seen their solution.

I will now see if I can find any interesting problems.

Edit: Ah, found one. The only problem I managed to get in the BMO2

Problem 93*

Prove there are an infinite number of positive integers m and n, such that mn2+1m|n^2+1 and nm2+1n|m^2+1
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 642
Problem 94**

One really nice functional equation.

Find all strictly increasing functions f:RRf: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} such that f(x+f(y))=f(x+y)+1f(x+f(y))=f(x+y)+1, for all real numbers xx and yy.

Problem 95** warm-up

Let a,b,ca,b,c be positive real numbers. Then, cyca2b2(bc)a+b0\displaystyle \sum_{cyc} \frac{a^{2}b^{2}(b-c)}{a+b} \ge 0.

Problem 93 has been already posted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 643
Oh, sorry, I hadn't seen their solution.

I will now see if I can find any interesting problems.

What I've been doing in some cases is trying to think of some myself; often generalisations of other problems I have tried/found :smile: Such as...

Problem 96*

Let x, y and a be positive integers such that x3+ax2=y2x^3+ax^2=y^2. Given that 1xb 1 \leq x \leq b where b is a positive integer, find, in terms of a and b, the number of possible pairs (x,y)(x,y) that satisfy the equation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 644

Prove that nN\forall n\in\mathbb{N}, there exists n consecutive integers such that none of them are primes or a power of a prime.

Problem 8 I do believe :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 645
We have totally messed up the numbers!

Solution 93

Let FnF_{n} be the nnth Fibonacci number. From Catalan's identity, we have F2n+12+1=F2n1F2n+3F_{2n+1}^{2}+1=F_{2n-1}F_{2n+3}, and F2n12+1=F2n3F2n+1F_{2n-1}^{2}+1=F_{2n-3}F_{2n+1}. Hence F2n+12+10(modF2n1)F_{2n+1}^{2}+1 \equiv 0 \pmod {F_{2n-1}} and F2n12+10(modF2n+1)F_{2n-1}^{2}+1 \equiv 0 \pmod {F_{2n+1}}.
Reply 646
Original post by Mladenov

Solution 93

Let FnF_{n} be the nnth Fibonacci number. From Catalan's identity, we have F2n+12+1=F2n1F2n+3F_{2n+1}^{2}+1=F_{2n-1}F_{2n+3}, and F2n12+1=F2n3F2n+1F_{2n-1}^{2}+1=F_{2n-3}F_{2n+1}. Hence F2n+12+10(modF2n1)F_{2n+1}^{2}+1 \equiv 0 \pmod {F_{2n-1}} and F2n12+10(modF2n+1)F_{2n-1}^{2}+1 \equiv 0 \pmod {F_{2n+1}}.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: absolute legend! :lol: That took you less than a minute! :lol:
Problem 94**

One really nice functional equation.

Find all strictly increasing functions f:RRf: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} such that f(x+f(y))=f(x+y)+1f(x+f(y))=f(x+y)+1, for all real numbers xx and yy.

If x=0x=0, then f(f(y))=f(y)+1f(f(y))=f(y)+1. Therefore, for all values of a in the range of f, f(a)=a+1f(a)=a+1

This works as f(x+f(y))=x+y+2=f(x+y)+1f(x+f(y))=x+y+2=f(x+y)+1 and f is clearly a strictly increasing function

Does the question state that the range of f is all reals, or a subset of all reals?
Reply 648
Original post by Jkn
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: absolute legend! :lol: That took you less than a minute! :lol:

Number theory :tongue:

If x=0x=0, then f(f(y))=f(y)+1f(f(y))=f(y)+1. Therefore, for all values of a in the range of f, f(a)=a+1f(a)=a+1

This works as f(x+f(y))=x+y+2=f(x+y)+1f(x+f(y))=x+y+2=f(x+y)+1 and f is clearly a strictly increasing function

Does the question state that the range of f is all reals, or a subset of all reals?

Yup, the range of ff is the set of all real numbers.
(edited 10 years ago)
We have totally messed up the numbers!

Solution 93

...That question took me 2 hours.

I mean, actually solving the question only took up around a quarter of that time, most of the rest was spent messing up the proof by induction, which I'd used to solve it and I've never heard of Catalan's Identity, but still...

Oh, and should I put the old Problem 93 back now, since there's a solution to it?
(edited 10 years ago)

On a side note, are you really 14? :shock:
Yup, the range of ff is the set of all real numbers.

Great, then I think I've proved that aR\forall a\in\mathbb{R}, f(a)=a+1f(a)=a+1
Original post by Felix Felicis
On a side note, are you really 14? :shock:

...Yes
Reply 653
Great, then I think I've proved that aR\forall a\in\mathbb{R}, f(a)=a+1f(a)=a+1

You have proved that f(x)=x+1f(x)=x+1 only on the curve x=0x=0 (not ff my bad!), not over the whole complex plane xOyxOy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 654
...Yes

Mother of god... :O

...That question took me 2 hours.

I mean, actually solving the question only took up around a quarter of that time, most of the rest was spent messing up the proof by induction, which I'd used to solve it and I've never heard of Catalan's Identity, but still...

Did you use the exact same method (i.e. fibionacci)? I may try to find an alternative solution (don't give away anything if you did use another method)
You have proved that f(x)=x+1f(x)=x+1 only on the curve x=0x=0 (not ff my bad!), not over the whole complex plane xOyxOy.

What does xOyxOy mean? And surely since any definition of f must be valid in the case x=0x=0, and my definition is the only one valid in that case, my definition can be the only valid one.
Original post by Jkn
Did you use the exact same method (i.e. fibionacci)? I may try to find an alternative solution (don't give away anything if you did use another method)

Well, I tried some random numbers until I noticed that the only solutions I could find were alternating Fibonnacci numbers, and then proved that as it worked for the first two numbers, it must work for all numbers following it, and that as these terms are always increasing there must be an infinite number of them.
Reply 657
What does xOyxOy mean? And surely since any definition of f must be valid in the case x=0x=0, and my definition is the only one valid in that case, my definition can be the only valid one.

My apologies, I have overlooked your solution. It is correct.

Here is another one.

Problem 97**

Find all continuous functions, defined for every xRx \in \mathbb{R}, which satisfy f(f(x))=f(x)+xf(f(x))=f(x)+x.
Reply 658
Well, I tried some random numbers until I noticed that the only solutions I could find were alternating Fibonnacci numbers, and then proved that as it worked for the first two numbers, it must work for all numbers following it, and that as these terms are always increasing there must be an infinite number of them.

Hmm well in that case I suppose the interesting question here is weather or not there are an infinite number of pairs (m,n)(m,n) such that m and n are not both Fibonacci numbers?
Reply 659
Original post by Jkn

Problem 96*

Let x, y and a be positive integers such that x3+ax2=y2x^3+ax^2=y^2. Given that 1xb 1 \leq x \leq b where b is a positive integer, find, in terms of a and b, the number of possible pairs (x,y)(x,y) that satisfy the equation.

Is it not just the number of perfect squares in the interval [a+1,a+b][a+1,a+b]?

Quick Reply

Latest