The Student Room Group

STEP 2013 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by MathsNerd1
I was thinking the exact same thing really, thought I screwed it up completely but hopefully I haven't :redface:

I've plugged it into wolfram alpha and it seems that there is no 'e' or 'ln' term anywhere in the final solution, so hopefully we haven't made a mistake!
Original post by tinto99
I've plugged it into wolfram alpha and it seems that there is no 'e' or 'ln' term anywhere in the final solution, so hopefully we haven't made a mistake!

That's what I'm hoping and I knew the substitution of y=X^2*U worked when I tried it yesterday so I didn't take a second thought of it really, everything could go hopelessly wrong for me though :redface:
Reply 82
Original post by FJacob
I think there might be a mistake on ii b

Spoiler

I got x= 2+- root 10 as well.

I took y = root ( (X+2)^2 -11/2) and worked through to that.
Original post by FJacob

Spoiler

I agree
Reply 84
Original post by FJacob

Spoiler

Original post by Vaz_Tê
I might be wrong but I think your part ii) b of question one is wrong. I got 2 +/- sqrt(10) and have checked this on my calculator. Your solutions give me 3.

Original post by GeneralOJB
Erm, for part iib I got y^2 +2y - 15

Just seen my error, I said that-18+3=-1 :facepalm:

Fixing atm :tongue:
Original post by FJacob
I have a different answer for iii), and Wolfram seems to agree.

I used the same substitution y=ux, and the equation reduces to
x*(du/dx) = x/u + u
Then you do the same thing again and let u=vx and the final solution is something like x*sqrt(6x^2-2x).

EDIT: I just realized that amounts to the same thing as doing y=vx^2 as someone else already suggested.

Hmm, that answer rings a bell. I think I got that in the exam. They'll accept both answers though?
Reply 86
Fixed my solution to Q1 (made working out so much nicer :tongue: )

Going to update OP :yep:
Reply 87
STEP I Q4 looks like a gift so I'll type up a solution to practise my LaTeX skills. I've literally used it 3 times so far so good luck to me :rolleyes:.

Original post by cpdavis
Fixed my solution to Q1 (made working out so much nicer :tongue: )

Going to update OP :yep:

DJMayes stacked up solutions to Q9, 10, 11 in that one post. :tongue:
Reply 88
Original post by Pyoro
STEP I Q4 looks like a gift so I'll type up a solution to practise my LaTeX skills. I've literally used it 3 times so far so good luck to me :rolleyes:.

DJMayes stacked up solutions to Q9, 10, 11 in that one post. :tongue:

Just finished a solution to 4, want to race? :colone:

Will also put other solutions from DJ :ahee:
Reply 89
i)

Spoiler

ii)

Spoiler

iii)

Spoiler

iv)

Spoiler

Here's my solution to this neglected question, which happened to be my favorite. Please let me know of any mistakes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 90
When you have all finished putting up your solutions could someone put the paper up please....
Reply 91
Original post by cpdavis
Just finished a solution to 4, want to race? :colone:

Will also put other solutions from DJ :ahee:

:eek: Oh no, please! I'm so slow, I've only just managed the first half! Though to be fair, being slow at STEP is the story of my life... but I did manage the question on paper in 7 minutes. :tongue:
Reply 92
STEP I 2013 Q4
If you find an error, please do mention it.

(i)
Both of these integrals can be evaluated by substituting for the nth power term, since the integrand includes its derivative. This is done most easily by inspection.

0π4tann(x)sec2(x)dx=1n+1[tann+1(x)]0π4=1n+1 \displaystyle \int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \tan^n(x)\sec^2(x) \mathrm{d}x=\frac{1}{n+1} \left[\tan^{n+1}(x)\right]_0^\frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{n+1}

0π4secn(x)tan(x)dx=0π4secn1(x)(sec(x)tan(x))dx=1n[secn(x)]0π4=1n(secn(π4)secn(0))=2n1n \displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \sec^n(x)\tan(x) \mathrm{d}x= \displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \sec^{n-1}(x)(\sec(x)\tan(x)) \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{n} \left[\sec^n(x)\right]_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \\ = \frac{1}{n} \left( \sec^n\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right) - \sec^n(0)\right) = \frac{\sqrt{2} ^n - 1}{n}

(ii) By parts, differentiating the xn term down to 1. The Pythagorean sec2 = 1 + tan2 identity is the one to use generally when working with integrals featuring sec and tan.

0π4xsec4(x)tan(x)dx=14[xsec4(x)]0π4140π4sec4(x)dx=14π24414(0π4sec2(x)dx+0π4sec2(x)tan2(x)dx)=π414([tan(x)]0π4+13[tan3(x)]0π4)=π414(1+13)=π413\displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} x\sec^4(x)\tan(x) \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{4}\left[x\sec^4(x)\right]^\frac{\pi}{4}_0 - \frac{1}{4} \displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \sec^4(x) \mathrm{d}x \\ = \frac{1}{4} \frac{\pi\sqrt{2}^4}{4} - \frac{1}{4}\left( \displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \sec^2(x) \mathrm{d}x + \displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \sec^2(x)\tan^2(x) \mathrm{d}x \right) \\ = \frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{1}{4}\left( \left[\tan(x)\right]^\frac{\pi}{4}_0 + \frac{1}{3} \left[\tan^3(x)\right]^\frac{\pi}{4}_0 \right)= \frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{1}{4}\left(1 + \frac{1}{3}\right) = \frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{1}{3}

0π4x2sec2(x)tan(x)dx=12[x2sec2(x)]0π40π4xsec2(x)dx=12(2π216)([xtan(x)]0π40π4tan(x)dx)=π216π4[lncos(x)]0π4=π216π4+12ln(2)[br]\displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} x^2\sec^2(x)\tan(x) \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{2}\left[x^2\sec^2(x)\right]^\frac{\pi}{4}_0 - \displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} x\sec^2(x) \mathrm{d}x \\ = \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{2\pi^2}{16}\right) - \left(\left[x\tan(x)\right]_0^\frac{\pi}{4} - \displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \tan(x) \mathrm{d}x\right) \\ = \frac{\pi^2}{16} - \frac{\pi}{4} - \left[\ln|\cos(x)|\right]_0^\frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{\pi^2}{16} - \frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{2}\ln(2)[br]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by mikelbird
When you have all finished putting up your solutions could someone put the paper up please....

I've linked the paper in the OP :yep:

Original post by Pyoro
:eek: Oh no, please! I'm so slow, I've only just managed the first half! Though to be fair, being slow at STEP is the story of my life... but I did manage the question on paper in 7 minutes. :tongue:

:ahee: I've just finished the first two integrals :ahee: If anything, I could just put both solutions up (I've it in the past :wink: )
Original post by Pyoro
STEP I 2013 Q4
First draft.

i: Both of these integrals can be evaluated by substituting for the n-th power term, since it is being multiplied by its derivative. This is done most easily by inspection.

0π4tann(x)sec2(x)dx=1n+1[tann+1(x)]0π4=1n+1[br][br]0π4secn(x)tan(x)dx=0π4secn1(x)(sec(x)tan(x))dx=1n[secn(x)]0π4=1n(secn(π4)secn(0))=2n1n[br][br]\displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \tan^n(x)\sec^2(x) \mathrm{d}x=\frac{1}{n+1} \left[\tan^{n+1}(x)\right]_0^\frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{n+1}[br] [br]\displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \sec^n(x)\tan(x) \mathrm{d}x= \displaystyle\int_0^\frac{\pi}{4} \sec^{n-1}(x)(\sec(x)\tan(x)) \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{n} \left[\sec^n(x)\right]_0^\frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{n} (\sec^n(\frac{\pi}{4}) - \sec^n(0)) = \frac{\sqrt{2} ^n - 1}{n}[br][br]

Time for a refreshing beverage. More soon...

I can't believe I actually struggled with the second part of it now that I've seen how to do it -.-
Reply 95
I also got the solution for 7iii as x root(6x^2 - 2x), that is the same form as the other two solutions which seems likely to me (I used y=ux^2).
Original post by cpdavis

:ahee: I've just finished the first two integrals :ahee: If anything, I could just put both solutions up (I've it in the past :wink: )

You might have linked the paper but it is difficult to read and impossible to print ....

.... A scanned copy would still be great.
Reply 97
Original post by cpdavis

Thank you very much!!
Original post by MathsNerd1
I got my value of c being 6 so I don't think it was the same at all :-/ I'm really doubting my performance in this paper now :redface:

I got c=6 as well. If I can be bothered later I'll have a look at writing up a solution. Firstly though, it is time to enjoy some halo now that exams are done.
Reply 99
Original post by msmith2512
You might have linked the paper but it is difficult to read and impossible to print ....

.... A scanned copy would still be great.

Oh, that was what a user gave. If I get a better copy I will link it (and will also link STEP II this evening).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending