The Student Room Group

STEP 2013 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cpdavis
Oh, that was what a user gave. If I get a better copy I will link it (and will also link STEP II this evening).

I can take a photo of each question individually if that would help?
Original post by Appeal to reason
I got c=6 as well. If I can be bothered later I'll have a look at writing up a solution. Firstly though, it is time to enjoy some halo now that exams are done.

Very nice! That's the two full solutions for me in the bag, now just got to see about the integral one, the 2nd one and the last function one really :tongue:
Original post by Pyoro
STEP I Q4 looks like a gift so I'll type up a solution to practise my LaTeX skills. I've literally used it 3 times so far so good luck to me :rolleyes:.

DJMayes stacked up solutions to Q9, 10, 11 in that one post. :tongue:

I loved doing 4. Didn't quite manage it as fast as you, I felt the need to repeat the first two integrals every time I needed to use their results. Still didn't really trouble me for time, I doubt 10 minutes saved on 4 would've allowed me to finish off 5.
Reply 103
Original post by cpdavis

:ahee: I've just finished the first two integrals :ahee: If anything, I could just put both solutions up (I've it in the past :wink: )

If there was ever a question where one approach was more than enough... :wink:
But do post yours, else I will mourn all the labour lost over this ridiculous typesetting process...
I'd really love for someone to get a solution to Q8 done so I can check that - I'm worried I'll have accidentally got domains/ranges wrong. Horizontal asymptote of y=0 for the final sketch? (As x21<x\sqrt{x^2-1}<x, and they're going to get closer in value to each other, so as limx(xx21)=0lim_{x\to\infty}(x-\sqrt{x^2-1})=0)? TBH, I could be talking out my arse.
(edited 10 years ago)
I 8:

i)

Spoiler

ii)

Spoiler

iii)

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by metaltron
I 8:

i)

Spoiler

ii)

Spoiler

iii)

Spoiler

Shouldn't some of those xs be |x|? Can't remember the individual functions.

Missed out on the y=2x asymptotes for h(x) and k(x), and I can't remember my domain and range for kh(x).
Shouldn't some of those xs be |x|? Can't remember the individual functions.

Missed out on the y=2x asymptotes for h(x) and k(x), and I can't remember my domain and range for kh(x).

Damn, I left the mods out but covered myself with the ranges, hope I won't be penalised too heavily.
Reply 108
Q4

The first integral that we get given is:

0π4tann(x)sec2(x)dx\displaystyle\int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_0 tan^n (x) sec^2(x) dx

Note that we have the differential of tan(x)tan(x) within our integral.

0π4tann(x)sec2(x)dx=[tann+1(x)n+1]0π4=1n+1\therefore \displaystyle\int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_0 tan^n (x) sec^2(x) dx = \left[ \dfrac{tan^{n+1}(x)}{n+1}\right]_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}=\dfrac{1}{n+1}

2 Integral

3 Integral

4 Integral

Original post by cpdavis
Oh, that was what a user gave. If I get a better copy I will link it (and will also link STEP II this evening).

And much appreciated - its just I'm on an iPad and it is difficult to increase the resolution on images without them closing.
Reply 110
Original post by DJMayes

Hey, could I suggest spoilering each separate answer to make it easier to tell what questions what? :tongue:
Original post by cpdavis
Hey, could I suggest spoilering each separate answer to make it easier to tell what questions what? :tongue:

Will do, sorry.
How many marks would you lose in I, Q1 for not ignoring the negative y values? :s-smilie:
Reply 113
Original post by DJMayes
Will do, sorry.

No need to apologise, you've done a brill job :biggrin:
Reply 114
How many marks would you lose in I, Q1 for not ignoring the negative y values? :s-smilie:

Hard to know, but that's usually the point of these square root questions right? Knowing when to square, which solutions to take, etc...
I myself messed up the ending while substituting things back and ended up with x=12 even though the methods were correct...=p
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cpdavis
No need to apologise, you've done a brill job :biggrin:

Well, I enjoyed the Mechanics on the STEP I paper and assumed other people would rather be left with the Pure so decided to write up the whole Mechanics section. :lol:
Original post by Mastermind2
STEP I 2013 Question 7:

Spoiler

Please let me know if I've made any mistakes.

As other people have said I also used y=ux^2 for the last one but I can't remember what my final solution was.
Original post by Smaug123
Question 2:

Spoiler

Unless I'm missing it somehow, you don't seem to have given working for the final part of i) i.e. showing:

In=n2(2n+1)In1I_n=\frac{n}{2(2n+1)}I_{n-1}

Spoiler

Reply 118
Glad to see this thread resurface.. losing all that typesetting, I don't even... :coma:

I loved doing 4. Didn't quite manage it as fast as you, I felt the need to repeat the first two integrals every time I needed to use their results. Still didn't really trouble me for time, I doubt 10 minutes saved on 4 would've allowed me to finish off 5.

Even 20mins odd is still impressive during an actual exam; quality over speed is generally the right policy IMO. Disregard my hurried attempt that involved two massive errors and led to much more time spent in the end correcting all that code :colondollar:.
Original post by atsruser
Unless I'm missing it somehow, you don't seem to have given working for the final part of i) i.e. showing:

In=n2(2n+1)In1I_n=\frac{n}{2(2n+1)}I_{n-1}

Oops, sorry, I completely missed that (I do that all the time, miss the last bit of the question :/ ) Thanks for letting me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending